Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New member.

Test31

Hi, I have a Avensis t27 estate from 2010. 

Absolutely love it. Been good to me.

Unfortunately it has worn, one side of the rear pads down to the metal!

Have a bit of no how on cars. But having a play yesterday couldn't work out how to get the piston on the caliper, to go or wind in.

Anybody have more experience with this?

New pads and discs ordered to hopefully do myself.

Cheers.

Hi Test! Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club. 

Moved to the Avensis club.

20 hours ago, Test31 said:

Hi, I have a Avensis t27 estate from 2010. 

Absolutely love it. Been good to me.

Unfortunately it has worn, one side of the rear pads down to the metal!

Have a bit of no how on cars. But having a play yesterday couldn't work out how to get the piston on the caliper, to go or wind in.

Anybody have more experience with this?

New pads and discs ordered to hopefully do myself.

Cheers.

hi there easy job but if can order genuine break discs and pads as i found out with those cheaper ones the discs warp 

this is the way to do it but do you have  to put the epb in service mode by ing on and holding out or in i cant remember  the handbreak switch for 5 seconds to put the epb into service mode . (DO NOT TURN CAR ING OFF)(DONT NEED TO START CAR EITHER ONLY LIGHT ON)

CHANGE THE REAP BREAK PADS TOYOTA AVENSIS THE RIGHT WAY

I will recap from the beginning for the benefit of others.

Make sure you have brake rewind kit with adaptors and lefthand thread like this - 

On later cars from 2011, the parking brake is fully auto for release and engage. On earlier cars like mine, the EPB is just left off. The owners manual for the later cars covers how to  engage service mode.

As shown in one of the videos, it is critical that the pistons are wound back so the cut outs are aligned horizontally. The nipple on the back plate of the inner brake pad sits within the cut out. 

REAR BREAK PADS VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5cHnvePQU&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=golfWagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FCGsnCiZE&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=FixYOURride1

After assembly and the job completed on both wheels, pump the brake pedal. Then start the engine and check the brake pedal. Apply the EPB and hold button for a few seconds. Then apply and release the EPB to make sure it is functioning properly. Hopefully there are no cautions or warnings, meaning all is good. A lot of garages and DIY mechanics can change the rear brakes on the Avensis, without needing diagnostics. 
If you want to use the Autel, you should confirm with them that the calibration function is suitable for your car! Do the rear brake change first and see how it goes, before trying the calibration! Don't get too involved in the the electronic side of things.

CHANGE THE REAP BREAK PADS TOYOTA AVENSIS THE RIGHT WAY

I will recap from the beginning for the benefit of others.

Make sure you have brake rewind kit with adaptors and lefthand thread like this - 

On later cars from 2011, the parking brake is fully auto for release and engage. On earlier cars like mine, the EPB is just left off. The owners manual for the later cars covers how to  engage service mode.

As shown in one of the videos, it is critical that the pistons are wound back so the cut outs are aligned horizontally. The nipple on the back plate of the inner brake pad sits within the cut out. 

REAR BREAK PADS VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5cHnvePQU&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=golfWagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FCGsnCiZE&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=FixYOURride13

After assembly and the job completed on both wheels, pump the brake pedal. Then start the engine and check the brake pedal. Apply the EPB and hold button for a few seconds. Then apply and release the EPB to make sure it is functioning properly. Hopefully there are no cautions or warnings, meaning all is good. A lot of garages and DIY mechanics can change the rear brakes on the Avensis, without needing diagnostics. 
If you want to use the Autel, you should confirm with them that the calibration function is suitable for your car! Do the rear brake change first and see how it goes, before trying the calibration! Don't get too involved in the the electronic side of things.

CHANGE THE REAP BREAK PADS TOYOTA AVENSIS THE RIGHT WAY.docx

Wow thank you so much!

That's brilliant information. 

I had no idea I had to put the epb into service mode.

Is this the same for all models, this allows me to wind in the piston?

I don't have stop start or hill start or anything like that. 

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, Test31 said:

Wow thank you so much!

Thanks again.

just buy the break pads wind back tool in my pic i put on here and do it the way i said look at those you tube videos and when pads all in and discs plus pins all copper greased up start the car while its still got the epb in service mode and not on and pump the breaks then drive the car back and forward a few times pushing the breaks and only then when u think all is good then you can put on the epb by hold tn in or out i cant remember tbh toyota should have put the epb pulling out make the handbreak come on and pushing the button willl put the breaks off it just stands to sense . the epb switch for 5 seconds .

coming to think of it i wonder is there any way of changing the epb button on and off directions 

Thanks again for the advice. 

Having a go yesterday worked out the brake piston is seized, so a new caliper on the way. Wouldn't budge one bit either way!

Also I couldn't get any combination working to get the epb into service mode?

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, Test31 said:

Thanks again for the advice. 

Having a go yesterday worked out the brake piston is seized, so a new caliper on the way. Wouldn't budge one bit either way!

Also I couldn't get any combination working to get the epb into service mode?

Cheers.

On your car u don't have hill start  on as in I mean when you come to s stop on a hill the car hahdbreak don't come on by itself u have to put it on but it will go off by itself when you are ready to drive off on a hill  and put the car in 1st gear and give a bit of revs .tbh I really hate epb it's completely **** as where Toyota put it and the way u have to pull the hahdbreak to get it to work a real pain .don't forget u need that exact break pad kit to wind back the pistons as on one side they wind back clockwise and on the other it's clockwise .if you get it freed up should hope work ok just take off brake fluid cap when winding back pads .tbh I thought with that job was going 2 be a real pain and my rear break discs we're kinda ok but not and my pads were going done I put on new genuine Toyota discs and pads did what I said in previous post and it's a great job 

On 1/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, Test31 said:

Wow thank you so much!

Thanks again.

I need to correct you about the service mode. Until the first facelift, The T27 EPB in manuals at least, had auto release only, the driver had to manually engage the parking brake. It was from 2011 0nwards that that the EPB had auto release and engage (when the engine was switched off). That was when the service mode was introduced. I have the same car 2009 ('58 plate) and have experience in changing the rear brake pads. There is no service mode on the T27 EBP 2009 - 11. 
When you said the brake pads on on side was worn down more than the others, was it the inner pad that is pushed by the piston? If so read my follows posts on the subject. If you don't wind the piston to a set position, you will be repeating the brake replacement sooner than you like. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To update and finish the thread for future reference. 

I have successfully replaced the seized rear caliper, and can confirm there is no service mode for the epb on my 2010 avensis. 

Quite an easy task to be fair with the help of a second pair of hands.

Search for a video on YouTube, of a guy doing the equivalent on a 2006 avensis. Very informative. 

Thanks for the advice chaps!

• Like 1

You would have noticed on the rear caliper sliding pins, there's a small rubber sleeve recessed into the pins. They swell over time from age, and using the wrong lubricant on them, causing pads to wear excessively due to not being able to slide freely (slight sticking of the caliper) mine was flying through the inside pad on the rear left. That's all it turned out to be. 

1 hour ago, Steveirl said:

You would have noticed on the rear caliper sliding pins, there's a small rubber sleeve recessed into the pins. They swell over time from age, and using the wrong lubricant on them, causing pads to wear excessively due to not being able to slide freely (slight sticking of the caliper) mine was flying through the inside pad on the rear left. That's all it turned out to be. 

is it red rubber grease for those pins boss or copper grease im using copper grease on all my cars sliding pins to no problem at all not even runner ware and break nothing. people said copper grease on sliding pins is not good on he rubbers but i found no problem i had a car for 11 years and never any problem 

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

is it red rubber grease for those pins boss or copper grease 

I only use silicone grease on sliding pins man, I just find it the best. It isn't petroleum based like most others which can cause the swelling on rubber parts. Personally I don't like copper grease! But everyone has their own preference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

is it red rubber grease for those pins boss or copper grease

I'm told Red rubber grease is recommended for brake pins. I have used copper grease in the past and have had problems with pins seizing. The last time I replace brake pads I used red rubber grease. It's too soon to tell if there's any improvement though. Only did the brakes six months ago.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big_D said:

I'm told Red rubber grease is recommended for brake pins. I have used copper grease in the past and have had problems with pins seizing. The last time I replace brake pads I used red rubber grease. It's too soon to tell if there's any improvement though. Only did the brakes six months ago.

when i do my breaks im going to clean the pins up and clean off the copper grease then put that red rubber grease on them boss thanks 

• Like 1