Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Slipping?

Yazza1995

Hi Ladies,

Need some advice, my mum’s aygo seem to have an issue which I will try to explain as best I can.

Details:

year- 2014

Transmission - Auto

mileage - 42.5k

okay so, pulling from 1st to 2nd is fine; then from 2nd to 3rd to 4th I can feel a little bit slip, such as revs going up but speed is staying the same for a second or so, 4th to 5th is fine. 
worse is when shifting down speed is staying the same for longer and revs just continue to go up, that’s when pressing the accelerator.
Hardly feels the slip when pressing the accelerator very lightly, only issue is going into the motorway.

hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TOC Ymarie.

I presume your mums auto Aygo is a MMT auto box.    I know virtually nothing about them other then about 9 years ago when looking for a car for the wife I tested a MMT Yaris and left it alone. Proved to be a good move. I have no doubt others will come along soon and give some answers/advice.

IMHO : clutch wear is a known problem on mmt and manual versions.

A lot was written about it already.

One thing that possibly causes more than average clutch wear (on manual) is the engine is revving easily (difficult to control) when you drive off, clutch usage design is kind of strange and these cars are used a lot by people for city driving and often by people who do have the tendency to rev the engine a lot to drive off, so even more on this Aygo.

On mmt it's just a poor design that causes rather early clutch wear often.

Maybe carefulness and usage too but I am not sure about that.

From what you say I think(85 percent sure) the clutch is worn and needs to be replaced.

It's fairly easy and cheap to do on an Aygo and the price for the thing will be quite reasonable.

AFAIK the clutch on an MMT Aygo can be recalibrated by either a dealer or an independent with the correct software, I'd try that before condemning the clutch.

I would certainly visit a dealer too .. but a slipping clutch on an Aygo ... with 40.000+ miles , 65.000 +km...

Don't visit the dealer saying : my clutch is broken (then you are kind of asking for replacement)..   Just say how it feels and let him make a ride.

If you're lucky, you could be one of the 15 percent who can be saved by simple adjustment.

Altough the symptoms that are described make me think otherwise.
Please let us know how it went !

Good luck !

9 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I would certainly visit a dealer too .. but a slipping clutch on an Aygo ... with 40.000+ miles , 65.000 +km...

Don't visit the dealer saying : my clutch is broken (then you are kind of asking for replacement)..   Just say how it feels and let him make a ride.

If you're lucky, you could be one of the 15 percent who can be saved by simple adjustment.

Altough the symptoms that are described make me think otherwise.
Please let us know how it went !

Good luck !

Certainly will

• 3 weeks later...