Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traffic sign

Bernard Foy

Hi all the mark 4 Yaris owners. A traffic sign appeared today as I was driving along normally beside the speed limit sign. It was circular and the same size as the speed limit sign and denotes two cars alongside each one colored black and to the right hand side of it one colored red. I’ve never seen that before. I’m assuming that it means not to pass out. However the road was straight and nothing to prevent passing out if I so wished. Any ideas on this??

Well, it’s circular so must be obeyed, it’s not safe to overtake vehicle in front, often  where it is not safe because a bend in the road ahead or road too narrow.

Cat, while that is true of the sign, I understood this was on the Dash.  Was there a road sign that the car cam picked up?  If it was then yes, it should be obeyed.  If it was something that only appeared on the dash, what then? 

59 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I’m assuming that it means not to pass out.

Do you mean overtake. the sign you are talking about is common over here, and means do not overtake, but I'm guessing you knew that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Do you mean overtake. the sign you are talking about is common over here, and means do not overtake, but I'm guessing you knew that.

Exceedingly common here too, on the twisty roads around here there's one about every 400 metres. Oddly during a visit to a nearby village yesterday it picked up a blue end of motorway sign, nearest motorway about 40 km away.

• Like 2

Just now, Dexter290 said:

Oddly during a visit to a nearby village yesterday it picked up a blue end of motorway sign, nearest motorway about 40 km away.

Yes, I get that too. It's the system's "go to" sign when confused!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes it appeared on the dash, and yes it looks like a do not overtake sign. I have never seen it come up before and there was not a similar one on the roadside 😏🤔. The car technology must have confused itself momentarily.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn't take much! :laugh: I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, not noticed it yet!

The one I get sometimes that I don't know what it means is a blue square with a white car in it!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It doesn't take much! :laugh: I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, not noticed it yet!

The one I get sometimes that I don't know what it means is a blue square with a white car in it!

That’s a new one for me, anything to do with car parking??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

panneau-voie-acces-reserve-rapide.png.b389dd7274ec7ff88a1303dfccf75469.png

This one ? It means expressway, or bypass, or something similar, i.e not a motorway but limited access.

• Thanks 1

Yes I think that's the one!

I was looking for it in the highway code but it doesn't seem to be listed (Unless I missed it!)

It's in the French "code de la route", it's a universal sign, but RSA takes a guess a lot of the time depending on where you're coming from.

• Like 1

Yeah it doesn't seem to be localized judging by the fact it thinks 120mph is a speed limit you'd ever see in the UK :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Where i live there's a 40 mph with a temporary 30 mph for roadworks. They've put new signs up but kept the old ones on display.

My Yaris Road sign recognition added up the totals of both signs the other day and told the speed limit was 70 mph!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

It takes software to really screw things up. 

I think that's unfair on engineers! TBH, though, I wonder why in the absence of a recognisable sign, it just doesn't stay blank, because that's what it does sometimes.

Oddly during a visit to a nearby village yesterday it picked up a blue end of motorway sign, nearest motorway about 40 km away.

Driving on the motorway yesterday, I saw a 80mph sign displayed on the dash.

Another example of the unnecessary junk they stuff cars with these days. 🙄 

6 minutes ago, Billyboy81 said:

I actually quite like the traffic sign display and the Toyota technology. I remember my dad telling me stories of how the passenger side rear view mirror was sold as an accessory on a new car. Now they are standard equipment. 

• Like 1

I've driven a few different makes with sign recognition fitted now. Still yet to discover a reliable one. VAG tend to be very good with their electronic systems but even theirs doesn't always work. It's a shame because the information has no real worth if it can't be completely trusted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billyboy81 said:

I disagree. While the system makes mistakes, like today when passing an end of speed limit sign (in this case, 70kph on white background with the diagonal bar through it), it showed motorway, whereas I was on the equivalent of a B road, this is something it does all the time.

Generally, it's very useful reminder of the current speed limit, like advising when going from 50 kph to 30 kph. I think the usefulness outweighs the mistakes.

Long way to go before we can be confident with driverless cars then

3 hours ago, Big_D said:

Driving on the motorway yesterday, I saw a 80mph sign displayed on the dash.

was it an 80mph sign, or an 80 sign. If the latter then it probably km/h and that equates to 50mph., and likely a truck has been infront of you from the continent.

For the new regulations it seems obvious some technology has got to  improve, like the example above. Likely there would have to  be something on truck signs coming into uk that says this 80 sign is km/h when read by the camera and the technology should ignore it as it not a road sign on a uk road. Same when uk trucks go abroad.

That's why I was saying it's not been localized as if it had it would be excruciatingly easy to tell the system to ignore any sign above 60mph as there are NO speed limit signs in this country that display above 60. 

TBH the only way to make the system reliable, at least as far as speed limits is concerned, is these beacons some people mentioned that broadcast the current speed limit in the local area, except that would cost a lot of money, tske years to roll out, and only cars equipped with a suitable receiver would be able to pick them up, so just like with the smart motorways instead of doing it right, it's more likely some half-arsed system that doesn't work will be the standard. So basically what we have now, which isn't fit for purpose but ticks the boxes.