Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traffic sign

Bernard Foy

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's why I was saying it's not been localized as if it had it would be excruciatingly easy to tell the system to ignore any sign above 60mph as there are NO speed limit signs in this country that display above 60. 

There's no GPS component to the calculation, is what you are saying ? The car does know where it is because of the e-call module, and if you allow MyT and the car to communicate, then figuring in GPS data doesn't seem complicated, but it is another layer of logic and may require a more sophisticated chip/firmware.

I don't think that assuming the car was bought in country X then only country X roadsigns should apply is a good call.

Definitely not in the UK Mk4's - They don't have Satnav, so even if it can use the SOS GPS, it'd only get co-ordinates but no road or location data.

The system couldn't rely on GPS anyway as we have so many variable speed limits from road works, and the damned smart motorway (Which especially loves changing speed limits seemingly at random at the worst possible times), but I get what you mean about it at least knowing what country in so it can know which road sign database to use, like e.g. the Porsche Taycan does.

The system in the Mk4 Yaris seems pretty rudimentary TBH. Very much has that Version 1 feeling to it :laugh: 

was it an 80mph sign, or an 80 sign. If the latter then it probably km/h and that equates to 50mph., and likely a truck has been infront of you from the continent.

No, open motorway and nothing in front of me. Dash showed a speed sign of 80. I was doing 70mph at the time, with the adaptive speed control set.

I even remarked to my good Lady that this was odd.

I feel it's asking a lot for these systems to reliably interpret the speed limit everywhere, using only a camera.

I struggle myself to understand exactly what the posted limit is when driving on the continent, because there's always a cluster of speed signs before every hazard (such as a sharp bend or junction). Unlike the UK where we make these signs black & white so that it's understood they are advisory rather than limits, on the continent, all speed signs look the same. Perhaps the hazard approach signs are indeed mandatory, but there's never any follow-up sign to remind you of what the limit actually is after departing the hazard.

There's also situations like they have on Dutch motorways to negotiate, where the speed limit signs have double circles showing differing limits for day & night.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Will be interesting when we visit the UK in May to see if it manages to pick up signs on the left hand side of the road. Should be OK where there is a pair of signs on each side, lots around here in Spain are only on the right hand side of the carriageway. Will need to memorise all the MPH to KPH conversions or I'll be annoying everyone by driving slower than the limit.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dexter290 said:

Will be interesting when we visit the UK in May to see if it manages to pick up signs on the left hand side of the road. Should be OK where there is a pair of signs on each side, lots around here in Spain are only on the right hand side of the carriageway. Will need to memorise all the MPH to KPH conversions or I'll be annoying everyone by driving slower than the limit.

Can you change KPH to MPH in the settings?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kental said:

Can you change KPH to MPH in the settings?

Yes I have done it on the steering wheel controls. But don’t ask me for a step-by-step, because I don’t remember 😧😡

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Yes I have done it on the steering wheel controls. But don’t ask me for a step-by-step, because I don’t remember 😧😡

Must be a UK model option, best I can do is change from litres per 100 kilometres or kilometers per litre. No mph option. Can have English as language though.