Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

21 plate C-HR condensation / freezes / frost inside cabin

Chrispy chicken

Hi all,

Anyone having issues with condensation? had my C-HR a month and has real condensation problem that doesn't sound like a big deal but when it frosts overnight the inside of car is frozen solid. Takes !Removed! ages to de-frost it and wipe it away.

Spoke to dealer who told me "it was normal and all they're cars do it on the forecourt", really?... 

Any help on this would be gratefully received 😨

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed.

3 minutes ago, Chrispy chicken said:

Hi all,

Anyone having issues with condensation? had my C-HR a month and has real condensation problem that doesn't sound like a big deal but when it frosts overnight the inside of car is frozen solid. Takes !Removed! ages to de-frost it and wipe it away.

Spoke to dealer who told me "it was normal and all they're cars do it on the forecourt", really?... 

Any help on this would be gratefully received 😨

Not sure if you can do much about it other than wait until the car heats up. I think there might be a warm air blower that you can buy to sit on top of the dash powered from the 12volt cigarette lighter, which may speed things up a bit. But others may chime in with other solutions.

• Like 1

Not had any such issues with mine, even when the outside of the screens are totally iced up.

• Like 1

Thanks Bernard, thanks O.W.L.

I appreciate knowing if others aren't doing it, let me know all. Means maybe there is something wrong with mine that can be sorted!

• Like 1

My windscreen freezes on the inside too, so you are not unique, and yes, I can understand forecourt cars freezing too. Condensation on the inside as temperature changes, gets colder and then freezes. Obviously not as thick frost  as the outside. If you can reduce/eliminate condensation by using tubs of granules that soak up the condensation, Amazon/EBay come to mind, that will help. Covering the windscreen with a thermal cover, available from various places as winter comes. That will stop outside freezing up and probably help stop temperature on the inside causing condensation.

• Like 4

Thanks Catlover. 

I will give that a go 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See the following topic:

• Using air con in winter together with the heater as in the topic above, produces dehumidified air which will help demisting.

• Closing the air vents when parked to reduce moist air entering the vehicle

• Using a silicone dehumidifier bag to help remove moisture inside the car.

• Like 2

We have a 2021 model C-HR and I’ve noticed the same issue. Letting the car warm up well before moving off helps a lot. Unfortunately Toyota don’t offer a heated windscreen. I’ve had them on VAG cars for nearly 20 years and they are great in winter.

• Like 1

Anything you can do to remove internal moisture from the car will help stop it - I normally have a load of silica gel packets I've nicked from various electronics packaging spread liberally around the car, but you can buy 'proper' desiccant dehumidifier things from places like Robert Dyas, or there's the old bowl of raw rice or instant coffee on the seats trick which can also work (Just don't forget they're there and drive off :laugh: )

Mine is more annoying as my Mk4 still seem to be off-gassing or something as the residue I've been getting on the inside of my windscreen in the mornings seems slightly oiler than normal condensation...!

• Like 2

You can try also switching off completely the AC and point the blower vents towards windscreen and feet, set a desired temperature for example 22C° or anything that is suitable for you, always wait 2 minutes before you are driving off on cold start, good for the engine, transmission and windscreen defrost. Also set air sucking from outside the car. Crack open both windows a bit to let moisture out while heating and drying in process. These settings are important to keep interior dry and well ventilated through out the winter season. Using AC to dehumidified the air helps defrost windscreen quickly but after introduces more moisture to the interior and locks it in. Another thing is that AC will not turn on when outside is freezing cold like 4C° or below. Properly clean the windows from inside away from direct sunlight using windows cleaner and then finish with only clean water and microfibre cloth will also help keeping windscreen clean and streak free. This is what I use as addition to all above, got one in the rear door card, changing on monthly basis. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSIO-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Moisture-Dehumidifiers/dp/B015AOGP1S/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2PFJQFLZ1GYPB&keywords=dehumidifiers%2Bfor%2Bhome&qid=1641493078&sprefix=Dehu%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-13&th=1

• Like 4

Thanks everyone, I’ll give these ideas a go. Have purchased the dehumidifier from Amazon, got some anti mist wipes and microfibre cloth too. 

• Like 2

There is a setting in Carista which you can adjust. It's to "Open Vents to outside air with Ignition turned off". I've set mine to close & condensation is considerably less - although, not completely eliminated.

• Like 1

Nice one Starensis, that's very interesting and a great piece of advice.

I spoke to Toyota GB about the condensation who were surprised it was happening and didn't really know about the issue from other customers, so its going into the dealer Monday for them have a look for any obvious faults. 

So I'm kind of left thinking is this a common problem? or is it just a few vehicles that suffer because of something like you said, vents closing or opening in the wrong position when parked?. Something that could be easily adjusted using diagnostic tools.

With my car, when it frost's over, the inside windscreen and all side windows are covered in a layer of ice. It then takes a good 15 minutes to clear using the heater with all turning to drips running down the glass, its a !Removed! nightmare. was yours like that? 

Is anyone's C-HR out there normal with no condensation issues at all????? (I can see O.W.L from previous comments doesn't have any issues with his) so any extra information I can get from you guys will help me when speaking to the dealer on Monday. I will keep this thread updated if they find something.

• Like 1

I’ve had it once on front screen, but often see condensation on lower portion of rear screen. Ever since front screen issue, I close vents on ignition off and leave A/C on in all temperatures. This seems to have “eased” the condensation, but not eliminated it.

Mine has also been into dealer…….and like others, they couldn’t find any issues. They checked for leaks from seals, plus if condensate drain was correctly routed.

I did have a Yaris a few years ago with similar issues and I found a leak between body panels, causing water to gather in passenger footwell. They fixed it under the 12 year anti-perforation warranty.

Ask them to check if there is any dampness under carpets also.

Keep us updated with any actions they suggest or fixes they apply.

• Like 1

Another solution is the use of a window vac, to remove moisture from the windows, rather than the heater/AC.

You are not alone, I had the same issue and using the window vac was the easiest method for me to keep the problem from coming back. 

• Like 1

Thanks Starensis, I'll definitely keep the thread updated and I'll add your possible causes to my list and get them to pull carpets up.

Thanks Anthony, my wife bought one of those not long ago for house, it didn't even crossed my mind to use it in car, spot on idea 👍👍

• Like 2

Common problems:

• Too many "wet" coats/boots/dogs in the car bringing in moisture
  • Heating set to recirculate
  • People turning OFF the blower
  • Not using air con because they only think it is for cooling in the summer

Reduce moisture in the car, set your heater to "fresh" switch air con ON, set temperature accordingly, leave it on, always have the blower set on at least "1" 

The A/C, heater and blower are always on in my car (no heater in summer obvs) I never have any condensation 

• Like 2

If you  using a window vac and it has a large blade the curature of a windscreen may cause frustrations (blad not toughing window in parts). I have a Karcher that we use inside the home ie shower glass, and that also hase a small blade which would be easier to use i think.

• Like 1

Thanks Catlover, I'll see how ours fares 🤞

Thanks Parts-King 😊

• Like 2

Good grief if you need a window vac to clear internal condensation you might want to check for leaks in case e.g. your spare wheel well has a swimming pool in it! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Good grief if you need a window vac to clear internal condensation you might want to check for leaks in case e.g. your spare wheel well has a swimming pool in it! :laugh: 

IN went weather you are always bringing in moisture and with short journeys, the moisture never goes away. The window vac removes it and no need to have the heater on full constantly lol

• Like 2

We have the same problem with our Prius PHV 2018 (but NOT with our Prius+ 2017) when it´s cold and misty outside.

Living near the sea (Swedish westcoast), as we do, wont make it better.

Will try Your suggestions

• Like 1

Is anyone's C-HR out there normal with no condensation issues at all?????

I don't seem to have any problems with mine. Internal temp is set to 21, with low fan speed. I use the rear window demister occasionally, and have had to use the front demister a couple of times to clear up a bit of misting. I have no problems at all.

• Like 1

Use a good glass cleaner to clean the inside of the windscreen

happens on brand new cars due to the new plastics giving off nano particles which adhere to the windscreen and condensation forms on them

• Like 3

Thanks Woofwoof, car is going into Toyota today to look for obvious problems i.e. door seals, wet under carpets etc.

Soon as I get it back (if they don't find anything) I'm going to try all the tips and tricks posted. 

I think your right about the cleaning of the inside of the screen, Interesting fact you make about the nano particles, I can tell by the fact I can still see the outlines of where manufacturing stickers are stuck on the inside on the glass, kinda tells me this car wasn't properly valeted in the first place. This would make sense that the condensation would stick easier.

Thank you. and thanks to everyone for your comments. 

I have had a good mix of comments now which makes me believe there is a solution to this, and that it could be something as simple as you and others say with the screen not being cleaned properly 🤞

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links