Do Not Sell My Personal Information

21 plate C-HR condensation / freezes / frost inside cabin

Chrispy chicken

On 1/13/2022 at 2:22 PM, Chrispy chicken said:

Hi Roger, 

Car went into the dealership Monday and no surprises, couldn't find anything wrong with it. 

woke up Tuesday, frosty night, ice inside again!! 

I phoned Toyota GB who are going to investigate further.

however...

I was planning to get some pictures of my car this morning, but after carrying out the recommendations of everyone on this site, last night with a frost I awoke to a car without ice on the inside for the first time 😊😊😊.

whether it this will carry on we'll see.... I'll leave Toyota GB to investigate anyway and I'll update if they come back with anything different or more conclusive as to why some suffer more than others. 

So far we have stopped using AC apart from clearing the initial misty windscreen, set "recirc" to OFF, put a dehumidifier bag inside and cleaned the glass. I also opened my windows for last 500 yards of journey to expel the warmer air. Its seems to of done the trick. Whether it will at even lower temperatures time will tell.

Will let you know........

I hope you get the it fixed, dealers and other suppliers have a habit of saying it’s normal, but the definition of normal is they all do it and of course that’s not the case as can be seen form the replies.

If not keep pushing, my next point of call would be the CEO of Toyota UK.

After all they need to know about this, it's a fault that needs fixing or it will hit there reputation for quality.

• Like 2

As others have said, really check under the carpets, the boot floor and down in the rear quarters if you can. 

Bad seals, blocked or disconnected/never connected drains can be a major issue. 

I have seen a brand new BMW that was soaked inside due to a sunroof drain that wasn't connected when the car was built. These things are more common than you would think.

Also check you aren't losing any coolant. If you are and the sound deadening under the carpet is the same colour as your coolant you have a heater core related issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spanishfudge said:

move to spain not much frost here 

Have you enough room for us all.  😄

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Have you enough room for us all.  😄

I think they do, Spain is a huge territory but might be complains about been too hot and dry after a while. 🤣👌😉☀️🌊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

I have CHR 2021 and i have the same problem. It is frustating especially if i am in a hurry. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 21 CHR constantly has moisture on the inside of the windscreen and takes a lot longer to demist on the drivers side than the passenger side.  Today with -6 the drivers side was iced over on the inside!  I have silica gel inside the car to try and help too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hughesy1 said:

My 21 CHR constantly has moisture on the inside of the windscreen and takes a lot longer to demist on the drivers side than the passenger side.  Today with -6 the drivers side was iced over on the inside!  I have silica gel inside the car to try and help too.

Ice in car.jpg

2 hours ago, hughesy1 said:

My 21 CHR constantly has moisture on the inside of the windscreen and takes a lot longer to demist on the drivers side than the passenger side. 

Presumably you've checked the carpets, etc for signs of water ingress?

So what methods are you using to demist, etc?

Using the air con in conjunction with the heater provides dehumidified air to help dry out the windscreen. Lowering the sun visors will help trap warm air against the windscreen rather than it moving past, which again should help. 

Using air con and heat throughout the day will continue to dehumidify the air inside the car.

Closing the air vents when the car is parked may reduce damp air getting inside the car.

See  also:

Thank you for your tips, I already use the air con and heater to dry out the windscreen..  I will try your other suggestions and definitely check the carpets for water ingress! Thanks again

• Like 1

Your haven't got the cabin air recalculation button switched on? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, Bernard Foy said:

Not sure if you can do much about it other than wait until the car heats up. I think there might be a warm air blower that you can buy to sit on top of the dash powered from the 12volt cigarette lighter, which may speed things up a bit. But others may chime in with other solutions.

Mine is the exact same yesterday I had to scrape the ice of the inside front windscreen . Heating on full blast and took ages to warm Up 

I had to wait at least 10 to 15 mins for the windscreen to de ice 

I have never experienced this in the previous 15 cars I have owned previously 

must be something wrong 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:46 PM, Chrispy chicken said:

Cheers Woofwoof, and Frostyballs, (the names on here are great by the way 😂)

got the car back from Toyota dealership now, no surprises, couldn't find anything wrong with it.

A "make do" attitude. Not very impressed. "all of ours on the forecourt do it too" "we use towels to mop it up", "its normal" and "all cars do it"

Well this is the first car I've had that has done it.

I shall thoroughly clean inside of the screen and windows later and see how it is on next frost. Will let you know how we get on.....to be continued

Try vinegar in the water when cleaning inside windows as they say it helps with condensation on house windows 

I have never experienced this kind of problem before in my other 15 cars previously owned.   It’s a 2022 car and I am not happy about it 

even on a day with no frost and it’s damp or raining my car feels up with condensation ???

• Sad 1

Welcome to the club. Nice car but the constant condensation is driving me nuts. Have tried all of the suggestions on here, but nothing works. The problem is compounded in weather like we're having at the moment when it freezes on the inside. Only solution is to leave it running for 15 minutes whilst I go inside for a cup of tea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, O.W.L. said:

Welcome to the club. Nice car but the constant condensation is driving me nuts. Have tried all of the suggestions on here, but nothing works. The problem is compounded in weather like we're having at the moment when it freezes on the inside. Only solution is to leave it running for 15 minutes whilst I go inside for a cup of tea.

Follow your own advice Tom, a/c on temperatures set at 24, use air coming in from the outside fast eco on, heaters front and rear on, let her run for 10 minutes, have your cup of tea. Go out and the is definitely defrosted all around and ready to drive safely. Oh and I almost forgot TonyHSD’s useful tip pull down the sun visors they redirect the warm air back towards the windscreen. Do that every morning you need to defrost or desist and will get rid of the condensation for you I hope 🤞.

• Like 3

My Yaris had tendency to mist up when I first bought it, and I eventually realized it was because there was a chemical film on it. I only noticed when I was driving home at night one time on an unlit road and the moon light was hitting it at an angle and making it iridescent.

After I cleaned it off (It needed a lot of rubbing!) the misting was much less of a problem.

I recently had the windscreen replaced and omg the amount of condensation on it in the morning was ridiculous - I thought there was a leak, there was so much water running down the inside of it while I was driving, but now I'm thinking it was just frozen condensation melting, rather than melt from the roof leaking into the car.

I suspect fumes from the glue used to bond the windscreen is coating the glass again and exacerbating the condensation. Will have to give it a good wipedown when the weather improves and see how that goes (I tried yesterday morning but the soapy water just froze to the windscreen :laugh: )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Follow your own advice Tom, a/c on temperatures set at 24, use air coming in from the outside fast eco on, heaters front and rear on, let her run for 10 minutes, have your cup of tea. Go out and the is definitely defrosted all around and ready to drive safely. Oh and I almost forgot TonyHSD’s useful tip pull down the sun visors they redirect the warm air back towards the windscreen. Do that every morning you need to defrost or desist and will get rid of the condensation for you I hope 🤞.

I forgot the sun visor ploy 🙂

I must confess that I gave up trying and bought a sponge on a stick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

That was frosty’s tip not mine 😉👍

I actually never tried it, but maybe give it a go one day.
I usually has my own way of doing these things and works great on all cars, start from basic Aygo to the s class or Tesla. , always a win for me.
The trick is to set air to flow towards windscreen and feet, temperature at least 20c°, I do 22C° myself and no air conditioning,  just allow extra time.
AC helps a lot no doubt about it, but then makes the things worse when you switch off the car, creates more condensation., and of course it will help you drying out afterwards, but this be a repetitive event and eventually will make more ice forming. Another reason why the ice forms on inside the windscreen is the sun, or the rain. More of these during the day, more condensation afterwards through the night , add the freezing cold and we have a beautiful art inside the windscreen. Nothing to worry, it’s not the car at fault. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

My Yaris had tendency to mist up when I first bought it, and I eventually realized it was because there was a chemical film on it. I only noticed when I was driving home at night one time on an unlit road and the moon light was hitting it at an angle and making it iridescent.

After I cleaned it off (It needed a lot of rubbing!) the misting was much less of a problem.

I recently had the windscreen replaced and omg the amount of condensation on it in the morning was ridiculous - I thought there was a leak, there was so much water running down the inside of it while I was driving, but now I'm thinking it was just frozen condensation melting, rather than melt from the roof leaking into the car.

I suspect fumes from the glue used to bond the windscreen is coating the glass again and exacerbating the condensation. Will have to give it a good wipedown when the weather improves and see how that goes (I tried yesterday morning but the soapy water just froze to the windscreen :laugh: )

When cold and freezing, to clean the windscreen you can use good quality windows cleaner spray and microfibre cloth however before you start the cleaning  start the car  first and let the hvac blow towards the windows, spray on it and wipe clean until even tiny mist forms and the rest will be dried out by the blower. Job done.
Repeat twice or more if necessary  but every time use clean cloth or fold yours on the cleaner side. 

• Like 2

Has anyone suffering this issue checked there A/C evaporator drain pipe isn't blocked? 

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That was frosty’s tip not mine 😉👍

I actually never tried it, but maybe give it a go one day.
I usually has my own way of doing these things and works great on all cars, start from basic Aygo to the s class or Tesla. , always a win for me.
The trick is to set air to flow towards windscreen and feet, temperature at least 20c°, I do 22C° myself and no air conditioning,  just allow extra time.
AC helps a lot no doubt about it, but then makes the things worse when you switch off the car, creates more condensation., and of course it will help you drying out afterwards, but this be a repetitive event and eventually will make more ice forming. Another reason why the ice forms on inside the windscreen is the sun, or the rain. More of these during the day, more condensation afterwards through the night , add the freezing cold and we have a beautiful art inside the windscreen. Nothing to worry, it’s not the car at fault. 

I can't agree that it's not the car's fault.

I've lived in my house for 28 years now, and in that time I've had a Saab 9000, a SEAT Toledo, a Renault Laguna, a Rover 75, a Ford Fiesta and a Jaguar Sovereign, all parked in exactly the same place.

Not one of those ever suffered from excess condensation and not once had any of those had ice on the inside of the front screen.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, O.W.L. said:

I've lived in my house for 28 years now, and in that time I've had a Saab 9000, a SEAT Toledo, a Renault Laguna, a Rover 75, a Ford Fiesta and a Jaguar Sovereign, all parked in exactly the same place.

Not one of those ever suffered from excess condensation and not once had any of those had ice on the inside of the front screen.

I’m not wanting to tempt fate, but so far I’ve had plenty frost, none on the inside of the windscreen 🤞.

51 minutes ago, O.W.L. said:

Ok, 28 years. But we have the coldest winter since 30 years ago 😉

Just a  joke. Could be the car indeed but not particularly your car but all Toyotas . Here is my one. It’s an art tbh❄️ 

image.jpegHave you try not using the AC at all and see if anything changes. Air con in winter can mess you around a lot. 

• Like 3

Aircon on, aircon off - you name it, I've tried it (apart from putting the sun visors down).

Sponge onna stick is what I'm stuck with.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, O.W.L. said:

Aircon on, aircon off - you name it, I've tried it (apart from putting the sun visors down).

Sponge onna stick is what I'm stuck with.

Have you tried one of these ANSIO Dehumidifier 500ml Condensation Remover Moisture Absorber Dehumidifiers for Damp, Mould, Moisture in Home, Kitchen, Wardrobe, Bedroom, Caravan, Office, Garage, Bathroom, Basement (Pack of 5) https://amzn.eu/d/2SKXJ7M

I have always one in the rear door card and does a great job when weather is wet and rainy. Now been in for few weeks and still dry but I keep the car in ready mode for hours and interior is warm and dry , but those make difference 

• Like 3

Think it's bit a nippy lately?

We used to have a small native population of polar bears in Lincolnshire until the winter of 1963.

They all migrated north due to it being too cold for them, and we used to follow the coal lorries on our push bikes to pick up any dropped nuggets on the road.

And it completely ruined my dad's hobby business of breeding brass monkeys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4