Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

auxiliary electric heater

roks

Hi All,

Is it possible to add this to my car? First proper cold this year, car was proper iced up.

Would I be able to add this in if the car didn't have the feature installed? Would the wiring be in place just the heater and button/control missing?

Any thoughts?

Yes, IIRC it's a webasto unit it will need quite a bit of plumbing inc the fuel source, a couple of sets of thermals may be cheaper and less hassle tho

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, flash22 said:

a couple of sets of thermals may be cheaper

🤣 I'm not worried about getting cold, its the windscreen defrosting during school run that takes ages.

Been digging around, it called a PTC heater, that is part of the "winter" pack, all electric.

Do you mean an electrical, cabin PTC rather than an engine PTC circa 5-600w (60A)

I just fill a jug with Luke warm water and pour it on the windscreen. Done if for years and never caused any issues 

What does annoy me however is that ford patented the front windscreen with heating elements, I’m certain every car would have them otherwise. 

ironic that the ford windscreen is set up for British weather yet the body work rusts in a second 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

ford windscreen is set up for British weather yet the body work rusts in a second

Well, even Mr T is not as rust proof as before.....I am comparing my 16 year old corolla and the 8 year old Auris....dreading the day I need to take the hub nut off.

I remember stick on electric heaters, two suckers and a coiled element that would heat up, say 70 years ago. 

It's the same part for all mk 1's 87710-02100 (Mk2. 87710-02020) aka a Quick Heater

the wiring will be the only issue, it looks like a 3 stage heater (White, Black and Brown - control from the AC amp to the relays) with 3 relays PTC 1,2 and 3 each fused at 30 amps, so 90 amps total 90A @ say 12-14v 900w-1kw peak (White, White/red and white/blue) White/black are grounds

not forgetting the PTC heater switch (2 control wires to the AC amp) 87290-02020 (Mk2. 87290-02030 or 87290-02040 )

The heater is only listed for LHD only, so the heater box may be different on an RHD

@flash22 Thanks for the details, I will see how things go, at some point I am going to change the evap so the air con box will come out.

I am going to nose around for the relay/fuses (or empty spaces for the same).

Plot gets thicker, the PWR Heater button appears to be for the heater in the engine bay, according to the users manual, not reference to the electric heater.

Is the electric heater controller by this button also or its part of the Auto AC and hence there is no separate button? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links