Do Not Sell My Personal Information

iPhone car mount

gaznrx8

Looking for ideas on how to mount a iPhone 13 pro ready for when the new Corolla is delivered. 

was thinking of getting a MagSafe vent mount but looks like it would cover half the media screen up so that’s a no go then thought about putting a vent MagSafe holder on the right hand side vent but looks to far in.  

what do any of you guys use ? 
pics would be great if you can so I can get an idea if it will be suitable. 

thanks 

I use a Brodit dash mount, it's under the multimedia screen and just above the A/C control unit.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.94f394bdb47bfff95480795b75ddd9be.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious why you would even want to mount the phone, when you can simply mirror it to the car's media centre using CarPlay? 

• Like 1

Always had a phone holder in every car I’ve had

phone always tends to fall out my pocket and end up down side of seat 

• Like 2

There's a kind of tray beneath the screen that's designed to hold your phone, although if yours is on the large side it might fly out. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can buy sticky mats that keep a grip of something like a phone. I have a sticky mat on the dashboard, place my phone on it, plug in the charger and it doesn’t move. There is a certain shopping area we go to where there is a parking fee, the loose change goes on the sticky pad ready for when I need the change for the machine. Lots of uses.

• Like 2

Oooh that's a good idea... I've been missing the coin trays the Mk1 and Mk2 had but that could work as a substitute in the Mk4!

16 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

I'm curious why you would even want to mount the phone, when you can simply mirror it to the car's media centre using CarPlay? 

I've not used a phone holder since I got into using Android Auto (2017), there is no need to see your phone, once you start using either CP or AA IMHO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2badmice said:

there is no need to see your phone, once you start using either CP or AA IMHO.

... more than that, by not mounting the phone, it removes the temptation to touch it and that carries stiff penalties now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

A good point, and maybe it's because I haven't yet mastered using CarPlay, but I don't always want the CarPlay interface active. F'rinstance, and maybe the novelty will wear off, I like the mini energy monitor available with the standard Yaris IV Touch 2 interface, with the music screen showing to the right of the screen.

When I connect CarPlay, it uses "light mode" (as opposed to "dark") it's what I prefer on the phone in daylight, but in the car I want dark. I haven't looked into managing that. If nothing more, the phone mount is handy place to get the phone out of my pocket and not forget it when leaving the car.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I don't always want the CarPlay interface active. F'rinstance, and maybe the novelty will wear off, I like the mini energy monitor available with the standard Yaris IV Touch 2 interface, with the music screen showing to the right of the screen.

Oh I get that. I use Android Auto, not CarPlay, and I sometimes want to use the car's normal displays. And I can, even with the phone connected.

It's trivially easy, using the hardware buttons besides the centre console, to switch between the Android Auto display and the car's own display, and Android Auto remains running in the background.

52 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

When I connect CarPlay, it uses "light mode" (as opposed to "dark") it's what I prefer on the phone in daylight, but in the car I want dark. I haven't looked into managing that.

Yeah that would annoy me too.

With Android Auto I can choose to have dark mode on all the time, or off all the time, or to activate based on the exterior lighting, ie if the auto headlights come on then dark mode activates. 

I'd be very surprised if CarPlay didn't offer similar.

56 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

If nothing more, the phone mount is handy place to get the phone out of my pocket and not forget it when leaving the car.

I have the opposite problem. I constantly forget to pick up my phone when I leave the car. 

I really wish the Corolla offered Wireless Android Auto connection, so I'm hoping the Motorola MA1 dongle comes to the UK. Then I can leave my phone in my pocket and not keep on needing to race beck to the car to retrieve it. 😂

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/motorola-solves-the-biggest-problem-with-android-auto

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

I'd be very surprised if CarPlay didn't offer similar.

I'll have to look into it, because I don't see Apple losing out on that trick. I just looked, it does that trick. 

The other thing I am not keen on is the poor resolution from CarPlay on the Touch 2 screen, but I'm not thrilled about the reversing camera resolution, either. I bet it's a limitation of touch 2.

On 1/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, Stopeter44 said:

I use a Brodit dash mount, it's under the multimedia screen and just above the A/C control unit.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.94f394bdb47bfff95480795b75ddd9be.jpg

That looks to be a Yaris or Yaris cross

9 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

A good point, and maybe it's because I haven't yet mastered using CarPlay, but I don't always want the CarPlay interface active. F'rinstance, and maybe the novelty will wear off, I like the mini energy monitor available with the standard Yaris IV Touch 2 interface, with the music screen showing to the right of the screen.

When I connect CarPlay, it uses "light mode" (as opposed to "dark") it's what I prefer on the phone in daylight, but in the car I want dark. I haven't looked into managing that. If nothing more, the phone mount is handy place to get the phone out of my pocket and not forget it when leaving the car.

Swipe left on CarPlay and you get to apps

1 of those is marked Toyota and takes you back to the regular touch2 interface

or you can use a shortcut button from the side 

ProClip are the OGs of phone mounts. I've been using their mount in my FJ for the past 10 years. Actually wonder if I should do this too even though I'm more of a CarPlay kinda guy

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, Extreme_One said:

... more than that, by not mounting the phone, it removes the temptation to touch it and that carries stiff penalties now.

there's that too