Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid fuel consumption

Gallypants

Hi, can anyone advise what the general consensus is for average fuel consumption (mainly town travel) fora 2018 Auris Hybrid? 

Only had it a couple of months but disappointed with a return of only 50mpg. Was expecting better especially as I am driving particularly carefully in order to make best use of EV motoring. 

The 50mpg figure was calculated rather than what the electronic readout says. Anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate figures from others. Many thanks 

Martin. 

It is well known among hybrid owners that mpg during cold winter weather can affect the mpg by up to 10mpg. You going to have to wait until summer for you to see that yourself. During cold weather it takes longer for the engine to get to operating temperature. Travelling slower doing town work will take the engine longer to warm up then doing 40/50/60 on the open highway. In summer my Prius can often be in the low 80’s mpg, at the moment best I can hope for is low 70’s, short runs don’t even achieve that.  Continuing driving as you are Martin, we all looking forward to the warm spring days when many things in life will be better.

I’m averaging about 50 mpg at the moment, which is a bit lower than the average on the Honest John RealMPG entry for the hybrid: 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/18-hybrid

My average may be affected by having a panoramic roof (adds about 100kg weight IIRC) and low-profile 17” tyres. I also have a suspicion that the switch to E10 petrol has knocked a couple of MPG off.

The real-world numbers are way off the numbers in the brochure but I’ve always taken manufacturers’ claims with large grains of salt.

Yea, yours probably is rated under the NEDC system so the 'official' mpg figure is basically a work of fiction (The Mk3 Yaris was rated at 83mpg under the old system!)

Alas what you're getting is pretty typical for runs in city traffic at this time of year. I'd actually say it's still pretty good, deffo better than any straight-petrol 1.8L car could get if that makes you feel any better!

The previous gen hybrids tend to get their best mpg around 40-50mph, i.e. A-road speeds, but they just can't compete with the newest gen ones, which have finally surpassed the most efficient diesels. (And is also why I've only just made the switch! Taken them over 10 years to make a hybrid that beats the mpg of my old diesel Yaris :laugh: )

That said, I'd say don't try to baby it too much while it's cold and try to minimize short journeys. As winter sets in, I've been finding that if I drive it gently, it's so cold outside the engine never gets hot enough to run well so it wastes a lot of fuel. If I'm more aggressive it heats up much faster and at least can run at a more efficient temperature for a while, as long as I use the heating sparingly, as that sucks the heat out of the engine and tanks the mpg again.

4 hours ago, mcntosh said:

I’m averaging about 50 mpg at the moment, which is a bit lower than the average on the Honest John RealMPG entry for the hybrid: 

The real-world numbers are way off the numbers in the brochure but I’ve always taken manufacturers’ claims with large grains of salt.

Perhaps a bit harsh on the manufacturers. I agree what you say that real world was way different to brochure figures but that was done through a scheme laid out by powers that be and ALL manufacturers had to adhere to to the laid out test, that is why all manufacturers figures were ridiculous. The new regulatory scheme is different and more realistic, therefore can be and will be viewed differently, they no longer ridiculous.  Having said that I am sure the real life figures attained by someone living in Scottish highlands, Lake District, Yorkshire will likely be very different then the Fens in East Anglia.

25 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Perhaps a bit harsh on the manufacturers. I agree what you say that real world was way different to brochure figures but that was done through a scheme laid out by powers that be and ALL manufacturers had to adhere to to the laid out test, that is why all manufacturers figures were ridiculous. 

I should perhaps have expressed myself less harshly! I should have said that the old tests were highly artificial (they had to be, for consistency) and had to be assessed accordingly. They were OK for comparing relative performance of different models but, as you say, the real-world experience will be different for every driver.

Edited by mcntosh

50mpg during this time of the year seems just right to me, if you drive continuously on A roads/ motorways on speeds of up to 65mph then you may get eventually another 3-4mpg on top but overall this is what to expect from this car. Summer time can go 60+mpg easily. 👍

• Like 2

A big factor is whether you are doing a lot of short journeys. I think you need to be doing over 10 miles to get fully warm and running most efficiently. I put E5 in the last tankful and measured to next fill ie brim to brim I was surprised to see 61mpg. I was expecting mid to high 50s. I filled with E10 just as a crude comparison for the next tankful. Driving has been a lot of motorway at 60 -70 and some local. I do drive like the proverbial granny but other than not running the heater the first few miles don't do any fancy driving techniques. As said above, expect 10mpg more in summer

Both testing regimes (NEDC & WLTP) are laboratory based and not intended to illustrate the consumption that owners will achieve. Both provide a standard comparison the public can use to compare different models based on a common testing cycle. The new regime (WLTP) is, however, supposed to be more realistic than the previous regime.

Legally manufacturers have to use the information obtained from whatever is the current testing regime in any advertising, sales information, etc.

I have a 1.8 Corolla and you can see how the fuel economy is better in Summer compared to Winter. Pic from My T

7CD98CE6-857B-465A-BD2C-6EE7009D9EA6.png

• Like 3

funny old subject mpg,it depends on length of trips,if short how often.

One of mine,3 mls from cold,2 are mway downhill,lots of airflow not much gas,it will show 37mpg.

High? well same trip,older 1.3 toy.plenty of aoto choke,17-20 mpg.

Just be happy with good mpg,almost as a diesal but cleaner.

• Like 2

How long do you spend in stop start traffic?

Is it in early morning?

In winter time with the heating on it will impact the economy, I used the heated seats for keeping myself warm, unless the screen needed demisting.

Plus the E10 is having more impact in colder weather..

I currently have 2.0 Corolla estate as courtesy car. 

after just over 1 month of mixed driving I’m getting 41.9 mpg.

I know it’s a bit off topic but I don’t see the point in this particular engine.

the 2.0 Corolla hatch with its low profile tyres, firmer ride and suspension and 180bhp+ engine is being kind of marketed as a efficient but fun to drive car.

but for a similar price you could get a Leon, golf which are definitely much sportier, better tech inside and the tax and mpg won’t be all that far off. 

for me the 1.8 engines are worth it but that 2.0 is the worst of all worlds from what I can tell. 

sorry off topic a bit there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

I currently have 2.0 Corolla estate as courtesy car. 

after just over 1 month of mixed driving I’m getting 41.9 mpg.

I know it’s a bit off topic but I don’t see the point in this particular engine.

the 2.0 Corolla hatch with its low profile tyres, firmer ride and suspension and 180bhp+ engine is being kind of marketed as a efficient but fun to drive car.

but for a similar price you could get a Leon, golf which are definitely much sportier, better tech inside and the tax and mpg won’t be all that far off. 

for me the 1.8 engines are worth it but that 2.0 is the worst of all worlds from what I can tell. 

sorry off topic a bit there. 

It will depend how you drive the car , some people here report mpg as good as the 1.8 or very close at least. I never driven either of those still on my old 1.8 Auris but friend of mine had one of these GR trim 2.0 hatchback and said exactly the same, plus he was really disappointed from the car only in overall and said “yes drives nice and has enough power but not to my taste and  mpg is rubbish plus the seats doesn’t let you see over the shoulder when you change lanes on motorways, and doesn’t recline flat because the rear seat is to close to the front, lack of rear legroom and too dark interior “ - end of his comment, I was shocked and so he was too and was wonder how on earth I can like Toyota hybrids and talk about so positive things., well it seems the cars are slightly different although they look very similar to me,  but the drivers are very different indeed ! 

98ED11A4-19BC-4D60-AA27-629AA33D2954.jpeg

32 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It will depend how you drive the car , some people here report mpg as good as the 1.8 or very close at least. I never driven either of those still on my old 1.8 Auris but friend of mine had one of these GR trim 2.0 hatchback and said exactly the same, plus he was really disappointed from the car only in overall and said “yes drives nice and has enough power but not to my taste and  mpg is rubbish plus the seats doesn’t let you see over the shoulder when you change lanes on motorways, and doesn’t recline flat because the rear seat is to close to the front, lack of rear legroom and too dark interior “ - end of his comment, I was shocked and so he was too and was wonder how on earth I can like Toyota hybrids and talk about so positive things., well it seems the cars are slightly different although they look very similar to me,  but the drivers are very different indeed ! 

98ED11A4-19BC-4D60-AA27-629AA33D2954.jpeg

Well my car is a 1.8 and obviously this is the 2.0.

I have driven them both the same this winter, my 1.8 was returning 55mpg and this one 41mpg both driven the same journey in similar if not exactly the same weather conditions. 

when I bought the auris my goal was to upgrade to the Corolla after 2 years as I get a considerable wage increase at my new company,  but having this courtesy car has been a blessing, I really don’t like it. 

the inside (full leather and black) lacks character and is cold to touch, seats take 5 mins to actually provide warmth. 

and poor design touches, as in the little shelf behind the gear lever is almost inaccessible and if you use the heater knob your hand will block the number so you have to move your hand away to see what temp you have set it too. 

i looked up how much my courtesy car costs .. 2021 2.0 Corolla sports tourer excel….over £32,000, I couldn’t believe it, if i spent that money and ordered this car I would be so sad upon receiving it. 

16 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

Well my car is a 1.8 and obviously this is the 2.0.

I have driven them both the same this winter, my 1.8 was returning 55mpg and this one 41mpg both driven the same journey in similar if not exactly the same weather conditions. 

when I bought the auris my goal was to upgrade to the Corolla after 2 years as I get a considerable wage increase at my new company,  but having this courtesy car has been a blessing, I really don’t like it. 

the inside (full leather and black) lacks character and is cold to touch, seats take 5 mins to actually provide warmth. 

and poor design touches, as in the little shelf behind the gear lever is almost inaccessible and if you use the heater knob your hand will block the number so you have to move your hand away to see what temp you have set it too. 

i looked up how much my courtesy car costs .. 2021 2.0 Corolla sports tourer excel….over £32,000, I couldn’t believe it, if i spent that money and ordered this car I would be so sad upon receiving it. 

I do like the Corolla especially the estate and saloon versions, definitely these two are on the list as future purchase perhaps with 1.8 engine, but most likely it will be a Prius. My plan is to see 300+ miles first from my current car to warrant a new replacement from the same brand. 🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

At the end of the day, if you don't like it, go for something else. There is plenty of choice out there.

44 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the end of the day, if you don't like it, go for something else. There is plenty of choice out there.

Well yes, of course.

I suppose my point was it’s not the car I expected it to be and I’m not sure what Toyotas goal was with the car. 

but I do think it’s a lovely looking car on the outside, one of the best on the road at the moment.

no offence intended to anyone that owns one. 

• Like 1

Personally, the exterior looks of the Corolla hatch does not do it for me, get to a black interior and that finishes it off. However, the looks of the TS really is nice. If it is still black on the inside that’s done it for me again. Now the Suzuki Swace, only available as an estate, looks very much ok.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Personally, the exterior looks of the Corolla hatch does not do it for me, get to a black interior and that finishes it off. However, the looks of the TS really is nice. If it is still black on the inside that’s done it for me again. Now the Suzuki Swace, only available as an estate, looks very much ok.

The saloons has a white headlining and feel brighter and more specious then others but they come with limited trims options although the Design spec has pretty much all useful options., they are popular within private hire trade here around the capital 👌

At the end of the day it all comes down to how it's driven - The HSDs are not magic, if you drive them hard they'll use more fuel, same as any car. Even EV's can't escape this - Drive them hard, the Battery drains much faster. Some people have quoted 50-60mpg out of their 2.0's so the system is capable of it.

The power is there when you want to have fun, but you need to get a feel for how it wants to be driven to get the high MPGs.

To paraphrase something Clarkson said - You can throw as much tech at it as you want, but at the end of the day nothing will affect a car's MPG more than the driver.

Also, not that I'm biased or anything*, If you want something a bit nippy that also returns great MPG, the Mk4 Yaris is probably the most fuel-efficient car in the real world on the planet right now, and it's somehow also really fun to drive :naughty: 

It's a very Jekyll and Mr Hyde car - You can drive it very aggressively, hard acceleration, flick it round corners, but then you back off stuck behind a tractor and... it still feels fine just pootling along while the MPG shoots back up, until there's a nice easy chance to overtake, then BAM off you go again.

Most cars feel like they want to be driven a certain way - Some don't like going fast, or going round corners, and others don't like going slow and you can feel they don't want to be stuck behind said tractor as the engine just does not feel good, but the Mk4 just feels at home in both extremes!

I still feel the steering is too overassisted, but they've done something to the chassis that gives weirdly good feedback that no previous Yaris has had, and you can feel how the car is moving and if you're going too fast for a corner or if it can be pushed more.

It's no GR4 or GTR, but where those are only fun at higher speeds, the Mk4 is fun always :biggrin: 

The 'sports' seats are smegging awful tho'. :laugh: 

*This is a lie I am totally biased :biggrin: 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cyker said:

At the end of the day it all comes down to how it's driven - The HSDs are not magic, if you drive them hard they'll use more fuel, same as any car. Even EV's can't escape this - Drive them hard, the battery drains much faster. Some people have quoted 50-60mpg out of their 2.0's so the system is capable of it.

The power is there when you want to have fun, but you need to get a feel for how it wants to be driven to get the high MPGs.

To paraphrase something Clarkson said - You can throw as much tech at it as you want, but at the end of the day nothing will affect a car's MPG more than the driver.

Also, not that I'm biased or anything*, If you want something a bit nippy that also returns great MPG, the Mk4 Yaris is probably the most fuel-efficient car in the real world on the planet right now, and it's somehow also really fun to drive :naughty: 

It's a very Jekyll and Mr Hyde car - You can drive it very aggressively, hard acceleration, flick it round corners, but then you back off stuck behind a tractor and... it still feels fine just pootling along while the MPG shoots back up, until there's a nice easy chance to overtake, then BAM off you go again.

Most cars feel like they want to be driven a certain way - Some don't like going fast, or going round corners, and others don't like going slow and you can feel they don't want to be stuck behind said tractor as the engine just does not feel good, but the Mk4 just feels at home in both extremes!

I still feel the steering is too overassisted, but they've done something to the chassis that gives weirdly good feedback that no previous Yaris has had, and you can feel how the car is moving and if you're going too fast for a corner or if it can be pushed more.

It's no GR4 or GTR, but where those are only fun at higher speeds, the Mk4 is fun always :biggrin: 

*This is a lie I am totally biased :biggrin: 

Must admit I had the new Yaris recently as a courtesy car and loved it. 
felt rapid from a stand still too. 

just with it was a bit more luxurious inside. 

• Like 1

No argument there :laugh:  They have tried to make it a bit less 'typical japanese ****box' :laugh: , esp.  compared to earlier models of Yaris, but TBH I'm happy for them to have a worse interior if they put more money into the stuff that matters. They will never beat the french and germans for nice interiors so I'd rather they concentrate on what they're good at. Just wish the seats were better...!

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

How you describe the previous Yaris and the over assisted steering, is how I would describe the "Universal Asian (built) Small Car". I've come from a 208 facelift to the Yaris, and while the steering does feel lighter than the 208, which is ironic for a heavier car (not by much, but yes indeed), I think the balance is about right.

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Lucky for me, I have the spec. below the sports seats, and although I found the seats "weird" coming from the 208, I don't notice anymore. The sports seats do have the advantage on the MY21's of being heated, but they killed that choice for me with the all black interior (saved a fair chunk of change in the process, but no HUD 🙁)

• Like 1

From what I remember, Toyota hybrids were being given bad reviews and feedback for being not sporty enough. So Toyota started using bigger engines in and sacrificing mpg. 

they kept some of the Prius tricks exclusively for the Prius like the launch gear and the ability to reach motorway speed on just electric. 

This is what started the decision to move away from Toyota and move towards something else.