Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daytime Running Lights Not Working

Stuart123

Hi all - I bought a 2017 Aygo 1.0 VVT-i X-Play 5dr recently. When I got it home I discovered that the daytime running lights do not come on in any driving scenario when the side and headlights are off.

Does anyone know if there is a way that previous owner of the car could have turned them off permanently and if so how I activate them again?

Or if turning them off isn't possible, is this a common fault with the Aygo and is it easy to troubleshoot and fix (I don't want to be without it for long whilst it's at a garage)?

Thanks...Stuart.

Hi

you can't turn off daylight running lights, they come on with the engine, so I imagine there's something amiss with them. 

• Like 1

Note that the daytime running light don't illuminate until the handbrake is released.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Note that the daytime running light don't illuminate until the handbrake is released.

Mine illuminate before releasing the handbrake?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

15 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

Mine illuminate before releasing the handbrake?

Same here, mine are on whenever the engine is running and no other lights are on regardless of the handbrake.

If you have multimeter, you can check if there is power going to the lights.

Also check the fuses.

You can turn off the daylights by removing a fuse... Fuse 40 I think from memory. Replace the fuse will be your first point of call.

• 9 months later...

Hi Stuart123

did you sort your issue, just purchased a 2016 Aygo & noticed the LED running lights are not illuminating. just wondered if an easy fix, or back to the dealer?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,  recently I noticed my both DRL on my Toyota Aygo not working . I checked the fuse and its fine and I dont know how to find a problem ?

The daytime running lights operate when the engine is started. Presumably the engine has been running when you checked the drl's??

Hi , Have the same issue with my 2016 . I checked the fuse it was ok but when I checked the power behind the light with multimeter there was no power when all the lights was off . Have anyone find a solution ?

Similar topics merged.

Mine only turn on when I put it into Drive or Reverse. If I stay in Park they don't turn on (Unless it's dark, then the excessively bright LED headlights turn on instead...). Maybe there's a similar thing with the Aygo?

Each model and year seems different. All my cars I ever had with drl always come on when engine starts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, msf1344 said:

Hi,  recently I noticed my both DRL on my Toyota Aygo not working . I checked the fuse and its fine and I dont know how to find a problem ?

As stated above, they only come on under certain criteria - from the repair manual

• DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM OPERATION CHECK (w/ Daytime Running Light)

1. Turn the light control switch to the off or AUTO position (with the low beam headlights not turned on via the automatic light control system).

2. Start the engine.

3. Check that the daytime running lights come on.

Check the DRL fuse and relay - fuse is 7.5A and is in the main fuse box - relay is in the relay box on the passenger side below the headlight iirc

if it's the same as the mk1

410626132_aygomk1relaybox.thumb.jpg.c712587ad08db1adccd9d50f4b5d64cd.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Flash22 , I checked the fuse and its ok but which relay in relay box related to DRL ? There are few relay in there .

• Like 1

Thanks , I changed the R8 ( RDL) with R7( Horn ) and no luck . my horn was working when I swap it with the RDL relay . so I dont know what is the next step when both fuse and relay are fine . I checked the voltage at the end of the socket where is connected to the RDL unit when the engine was running with headlights off but there was no any voltage . I connected two RDL direct to the Battery and they were both working . 

• Like 1

Do you have a multimeter ? check the voltage at the relay, you should have 12v at two of the pins if so you then know it's a ground/control issue

Edit, check for 12v at the DRL but use a body ground, eg. a bare bolt or Battery negative

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, ian potters bar said:

Hi Stuart123

did you sort your issue, just purchased a 2016 Aygo & noticed the LED running lights are not illuminating. just wondered if an easy fix, or back to the dealer?

Had the car inspected and been told that there is no wiring to the LED units in the bumper!!  Have been quoted £120.00 to have them wiring installed so that the lights come on whenever the ignition is on!   Should there have been wiring installed in the factory as standard for an X-Pure ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ian potters bar said:

Should there have been wiring installed in the factory as standard for an X-Pure ?

Yes. Daytime running lights were a legal requirement on all new cars sold from November 2014.

Wonder if the car has had damage repaired at the front either since you bought it or before purchase. Did you buy it from a dealer - if so, I'd contact them as technically the car doesn't satisfy legal requirements.

• Like 5

Yeah, if you bought it from a dealer they should have picked this up when they inspected the car; They should rectify it off their own back if it came with LED running lights from factory!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Old topic but I encountered this problem on my MK1 Aygo (which I assume MK2 operates in a similar faction).

At first, I thought it was the rely, but I changed it with no result.  Until I looked at the user manual:

The manual says:

To turn DRL On/Off, switch on the engine, quickly turn the side lights on and off 3 times.  You should hear a Beep from the dash.