Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Avensis CarPlay upgrade that works with steering wheel

F17_ANT

Hi everyone 

My dad purchased a 2011 Toyota Avensis and loves the car but the only issue he has with it is the satnav is quite tricky to use (he has the TNS510 satnav unit) 

so im thinking on purchasing him a Apple CarPlay unit but I want a unit that will work with his steering wheel and the factory reserve camera he has 

what is everyone else using here ?

kind regards

Ant

5 hours ago, F17_ANT said:

Hi everyone 

My dad purchased a 2011 Toyota Avensis and loves the car but the only issue he has with it is the satnav is quite tricky to use (he has the TNS510 satnav unit) 

so im thinking on purchasing him a Apple CarPlay unit but I want a unit that will work with his steering wheel and the factory reserve camera he has 

what is everyone else using here ?

kind regards

Ant

depend on what price it is if its expensive tbh i woulld go for one of those android systems they handy but make sure you get one that supports dab+  there a handy upgrade compared to the toyota system (im not sure maybe that system dont have dab+ tbh i like dab+ it is a must for me )

38 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

depend on what price it is if its expensive tbh i woulld go for one of those android systems they handy but make sure you get one that supports dab+  there a handy upgrade compared to the toyota system (im not sure maybe that system dont have dab+ tbh i like dab+ it is a must for me )

Thank you mate I’ll look into this unit !

12 minutes ago, F17_ANT said:

Thank you mate I’ll look into this unit !

go for one that got dab+ tbh if i had a **** radio i would as i like dab but with my 2014 the headunit is a good one but my Speakers were **** i had to upgrade my Speakers and put in a class d amp a wee alpine 4 channel class d one handy one .the avensis Speakers are **** tbh this is what i went for i did mine like this 

https://www.fanaticaudio.com/posts/toyota-avensis-t27-kaiuttimien-vaihto/

These Chinese units are junk come with no warranty, no support and very little in the way of documentation

An Apple CarPlay/Android Auto head units start around £300 from the likes of Pioneer plus Fascia, Steering wheel controls adapter, camera retention adapter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

These Chinese units are junk come with no warranty, no support and very little in the way of documentation

An Apple CarPlay/Android Auto head units start around £300 from the likes of Pioneer plus Fascia, Steering wheel controls adapter, camera retention adapter

those pioneer ones you are talking about do they just click into the spot where the original dash is and where do you get the housing that makes it look like supposed to be there .im sure that chineze one is junk but better thank Apple car play thing i think android system is the way to go . if getting an pioneer or alpine headunit how to know what one to get and where do u get the housing so clips into the dash so makes it look stock .tbh i think there great those android system as u say not so much the chineze ones depends on whats the money they want to spend 

It's very simple aftermarket head units come in 2 sizes, single or double Din

you get the fascia to suit your car from the likes of Connects2, as the OP has the TNS 510 this may not even need a full fascia

I have been around car audio 20+ years and electronics even longer, it is a false economy buying cheap or not so cheap Chinese junk, it's like having a ticking time bomb you don't know when it's going to die when it does good luck getting your money back and/or paying shipping to China

getting these Chinese radios working is never headache free and usually requires additional/custom wiring as they are "universal" Toyota fitment and come with  no information

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's very simple aftermarket head units come in 2 sizes, single or double Din

you get the fascia to suit your car from the likes of Connects2, as the OP has the TNS 510 this may not even need a full fascia

I have been around car audio 20+ years and electronics even longer, it is a false economy buying cheap or not so cheap Chinese junk, it's like having a ticking time bomb you don't know when it's going to die when it does good luck getting your money back and/or paying shipping to China

getting these Chinese radios working is never headache free and usually requires additional/custom wiring as they are "universal" Toyota fitment and come with  no information

I appreciate you input. As my dad has the TNS 510 are you saying that a double din unit will slot straight into the same hole?? if that's the case ill just buy the pioneer head units with Apple carplay (the cheapest one they do) and buy all the necessary adaptors to make the steering wheel and reverse camera still work 

• Like 1

Not 100% but the TNS510 does fit plenty of models as it was a dealer fit option you may just need the Side cheek's CT24TY09 (the replacement double din facia is CT23TY12 for reference)

2012 onwards there was a minor design change to the dash

TNS510 destructions

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{9834B06B-63A2-EE76-0212-833F363763A2}/Avensis_TNS510_RHD_PZ445_00333_00_AIM_001_447_2.pdf

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Not 100% but the TNS510 does fit plenty of models as it was a dealer fit option you may just need the Side cheek's CT24TY09 (the replacement double din facia is CT23TY12 for reference)

2012 onwards there was a minor design change to the dash

TNS510 destructions

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{9834B06B-63A2-EE76-0212-833F363763A2}/Avensis_TNS510_RHD_PZ445_00333_00_AIM_001_447_2.pdf

that one you are talking about come with dab+

7 hours ago, 2009joe said:

that one you are talking about come with dab+

My dads unit has DAB it’s just a really awkward unit to use and he loves Google maps 

• Like 1

Actually, I have a Chinese wireless adapter.https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay

The package comes with a dongle and a short (1 foot) USB-A to USB-C cable that is detachable from the dongle itself. It also comes with a small installation guide.

Installation was very simple. Plugin the dongle to the USB plug beside the 12V accessory plug in the head unit. The setup screen will appear on the multi info display. Just follow the instructions to pair your iPhone to the dongle via bluetooth. Once paired, then the next time the car is started, the phone will automatically connect to Carplay and pop up on the head unit screen without any interaction required. The whole connection process is about 30-35 seconds from the moment I start the car (depress brake + press 'START').

I've also updated the firmware on the dongle, which is also an easy process. While the phone is connected to the dongle, go to Safari on the phone and go to 192.168.50.2. On that page, you can check if newer firmware is available, and if it is, you can update it with one click. The firmware update process takes about 1-2 minutes.

I've also tried making a call using the iPhone while connected to the dongle. It works great and there was no noticeable delay or lag at all. Playing music with Spotify works fine. Skipping songs using the steering wheel button works fine with just a slight delay (less than a second).

Overall, the Carlinkit USB-C dongle meets all of my expectations so far. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brad Smith said:

Actually, I have a Chinese wireless adapter.https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay

The package comes with a dongle and a short (1 foot) USB-A to USB-C cable that is detachable from the dongle itself. It also comes with a small installation guide.

Installation was very simple. Plugin the dongle to the USB plug beside the 12V accessory plug in the head unit. The setup screen will appear on the multi info display. Just follow the instructions to pair your iPhone to the dongle via Bluetooth. Once paired, then the next time the car is started, the phone will automatically connect to Carplay and pop up on the head unit screen without any interaction required. The whole connection process is about 30-35 seconds from the moment I start the car (depress brake + press 'START').

I've also updated the firmware on the dongle, which is also an easy process. While the phone is connected to the dongle, go to Safari on the phone and go to 192.168.50.2. On that page, you can check if newer firmware is available, and if it is, you can update it with one click. The firmware update process takes about 1-2 minutes.

I've also tried making a call using the iPhone while connected to the dongle. It works great and there was no noticeable delay or lag at all. Playing music with Spotify works fine. Skipping songs using the steering wheel button works fine with just a slight delay (less than a second).

Overall, the Carlinkit USB-C dongle meets all of my expectations so far. 

Great post. I like these additional upgrades, it brings features and improves on the existing systems fitted to the car. I added an addition Bluetooth/USB adapter via the CD changer port, because I my car had the none nav unit and the bluetooth only handle voice calls. I now have control via the steering and voice commands, plus great navigation from my Samsung phone. Overall a great multimedia experience. The only thing about Carlink is that it's aimed for iPhone, though there are Android options.  

• Like 1