Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre noise

Roger Johnson

Quite agree Chris but you know what insurance companies are like?

On 1/9/2022 at 11:18 PM, Roger Johnson said:

Perhaps an all season tyre might be the answer then as the db rating seems to be around 68db?

this noise level is measured outside of the car and does not necessary mean that the the tire will make less noise inside the car too.

1 hour ago, Vainona70 said:

It's interesting that the online owners manual states 15inch wheels should have H rated tyres, 16 inch wheels V rated & 17 inch wheels W rated. As all models have the same engine & performance, how can an insurance company refuse a claim for a 17 inch wheeled model with H rated tyres? But please don't quote me...

All to do with the spec of the car you've insured. On every policy/renewal you effectively agree that the car is to standard specification (plus any options you have).

If a car comes with 17 inch W rated tyres/wheels as standard spec, and you change them for another size, you've moved away from the spec of car you've insured. If you declare the changes, depending on the insurer, they will either make a note of the change and may/may not charge for the modification.

• Like 2

You are correct Mike. Some insurers allow winter tyres to be of a lesser speed rating, but some don't without charging an additional premium.

10 hours ago, Tomv said:

this noise level is measured outside of the car and does not necessary mean that the the tire will make less noise inside the car too.

Yes, I’m aware of that Tomv, something else to confuse me! 🥴

9 hours ago, Roger Johnson said:

Quite agree Chris but you know what insurance companies are like?

Most of them are simply a joke, no doubt about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Most of them are simply a joke, no doubt about it. 

Yes insurance companies are like governments, in that they are always trying to figure out extra ways of !Removed! more money out of us.

• Like 1

Insurance companies will have market sectors that they aim for, and equally market sectors they not interested in.      
Every year I go on the internet for comparative quotes for my car insurance, some are very competitive, but there is often a difference of £1000+ between the lowest and the highest.     
It is logical to think that I am not going to choose someone £1000+ more then I have to, there again, often I don’t choose the lowest price either, I have a choice….and I am glad to have a choice.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:38 PM, Cyker said:

Yeah, any tyre on the 17" rim is very expensive - One of the reasons I changed to 15"s is so I could get tyre prices like catlover gets!! :laugh: 

It's amazing that just 2 inches difference cuts the cost of the tyre almost in half! :wacko:

I noticed this too. Similar expensive price for 18" and 19" though 18" and 19" seems to similarly priced. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links