Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Nervous New Driver - Aygo or Yaris?

eyelidmovies

I must admit having a car with good all-round visibility also makes me feel safer too - It's one of the less-welcome trends with the Yaris as the rear-3/4 visibility has been getting progressively worse. The Mk4 is so bad I sometimes think it may as well not have any side or rear windows as you can see sweet FA out the back - The massive and poorly-placed B-pillars and absolutely gigantic C-pillars block 70% of your rear and side view, and the rear headrests cover the rest just to top it off!

Thank goodness my one has the blind-spot warning as the blind spots in the car are huuuge.

In my Mk1 and to an extent the Mk2, I could reverse down a narrow road at 20mph with perfect control (Not that I did, but I could!), but in the Mk4 I am doing maybe 2mph because I just can't see well enough out the back and have to rely on the wing mirrors and reverse cam, which requires much more head movement as you can't look at all three at the same time.

Even the front has pretty bad visibility as the rear-view mirror is too close and too low, and the A-pillars are also large and obstructive.

I have to 'pigeon' around them at roundabouts as, where I sit, the driver-side A-pillar is perfectly placed to create a massive blindspot right where oncoming cars on the roundabout are!

IMHO it's something they should take into account in the NCAP rating - I'm confident I would survive a collision in the Mk4 as it's built like a tank, and the NCAP rating gives it top marks for survivability, but one thing the NCAP rating doesn't taking into account is how likely the car is to get into an accident in the first place - If there was a visibility rating the Mk4 would do pretty poorly.

I think it's one of the biggest oversights in modern car design - Even the Aygo and Yaris Mk1 aren't great compared to e.g. a Mini (A real one, not the fat Mini-wurst we have now! :laugh: ), which has amazing all-round visibility.

5 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

How dare anyone have that much money they can afford to spend it on a frivolous item such as a car, it's only fair they should be taxed differently. 

4 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Are you joking ?

The £40K is the list price when the car is first registered for use on the road - usually the day the customer collects the car.

As some members have come to realise (too late) if a car is under the £40K when ordered,  and a price increase occurs between ordering and delivery which puts the list price above £40K, it means the car is then liable for the extra vehicle tax payments. This applies to private owners, companies, etc.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, eyelidmovies said:

I've heard that the Aygo isn't great on motorways, but how bad is it really?

We've had a 2016 Aygo from new. Fine on motorways - we've cruised at between 60 and 80 (sometimes plus) no problem. Just bear in mind it is a 1 litre. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The £40K is the list price when the car is first registered for use on the road - usually the day the customer collects the car.

As some members have come to realise (too late) if a car is under the £40K when ordered,  and a price increase occurs between ordering and delivery which puts the list price above £40K, it means the car is then liable for the extra vehicle tax payments. This applies to private owners, companies, etc.

Just in case anyone was unsure, yes I was joking.  I have always thought that the government, of whatever flavour, has seen the motorist as a cash cow.   Here they seem to think, car owner that can afford a £40K car, wow we can hit them even harder than normal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

We've had a 2016 Aygo from new. Fine on motorways - we've cruised at between 60 and 80 (sometimes plus) no problem. Just bear in mind it is a 1 litre. 

Jeez what is up with you lately Frosty, out of the blue the puns and jokes, and now you're boasting about high speed? Has Raist hacked your account?? If I see you at a car meet wearing a backwards cap and burberry and making your car pop and bang I'm calling the hospital!! :eek:  :laugh: 

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Jeez what is up with you lately Frosty, out of the blue the puns and jokes, and now you're boasting about high speed?

Not boasting - just saying like it is.

By the way, Raistlin still visits the club - last time was in January.

Would need a low rider to go with my Peaky Blinders cap as an individual statement

30013108548_9b1b792a54_b.jpg

• Haha 1

Oh no is DevonAygo going to rename to DevonAygoCrazy next?? :eek: :laugh:  

9 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

Just in case anyone was unsure, yes I was joking.  I have always thought that the government, of whatever flavour, has seen the motorist as a cash cow.   Here they seem to think, car owner that can afford a £40K car, wow we can hit them even harder than normal.

It wasn't clear, although I did think that you were being humorous. It's arguable that anybody buying a new car could pay some kind of new car tax, though, and I don't see why £40k would be chosen as a limit instead of £15k or £75k, or whatever. as to whether it is justifiable to tax motorists, that's an entire other debate.

4 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

It wasn't clear, although I did think that you were being humorous. It's arguable that anybody buying a new car could pay some kind of new car tax, though, and I don't see why £40k would be chosen as a limit instead of £15k or £75k, or whatever. as to whether it is justifiable to tax motorists, that's an entire other debate.

My humour can be a bit dry at times but I am misunderstood the most when I am making comments about Trump were many think I am praising him (or being very much on his side) when the average Brit can read between the lines.  I guess that is mainly down to the difference between UK and US humour.

Like you I don't understand setting the new car tax limit at £40K which I personally would not regard as a luxury car, sure it should be well equipped but not luxury.  I do think the UK motorist should be taxed but I am simple enough minded to think road fund  tax should be spent on roads, yes I know it is now called Vehicle Excise Duty but I'm old enough to be in grumpy old man territory so for me will always be Road Fund Tax.  What I object to is the Road Fund Tax, AND the duty on Petrol, fines from parking tickets, fines from speeding tickets and with the new changes, fines levied by the council for driving infringements such as entering yellow box junctions and parking on the pavement.  I am not even against such fines so long as they are used to improve driving standards and not to swell the coffers of the local council.  Then again I live in a part of the country where the council have used and abused public money so I am very biased against them.

I have sort of strayed off track here so to try and bring it back to the subject the original poster was looking into I will ask another question.  What would be the expected MPG difference between and Aygo and a Yaris?  I ask this keeping in mind I have just filled up the Aygo at £1.55 per litre and within twenty miles I have seen many garages selling at £1.59 and some at £1.63.  Hard to predict I know, but with the recent ban on oil imports from Russia, the price is likely only going to go in one direction for the foreseeable future.

The wife put some petrol in he Auris hybrid late last week, E5 and was £1.67. I heard this morning some places are at circ £1.80 per litre.

As Russian oil is being given a miss, and they are the 3rd biggest producer, it means everyone will be chasing what is available….prices will rise.  What happens when oil levels are depleted, and only Russia has some……..another war!

9 minutes ago, Catlover said:

The wife put some petrol in he Auris hybrid late last week, E5 and was £1.67. I heard this morning some places are at circ £1.80 per litre.

As Russian oil is being given a miss, and they are The 3rd biggest producer, it means everyone will be chasing what is available….prices will rise.  What happens when oil levels are depleted, and only Russia has some……..another war!

That was another issue, I wanted to top up with E5 but had to settle for what I could get which we E10, I suspect if I could have got hold of it it would have been around the same price your wife paid.

E10 Unleaded was 154.9 pence per litre at a local Sainsburys when I topped up yesterday.

As for the original question - the choice between an Aygo or Yaris should be really find the best condition example of either your budget allows you to buy.

The Peugeot / Citroen versions of the Aygo have also been mentioned - these are great with the 1 litre Toyota engine fitted BUT avoid any fitted with the 1.2 PSA engine as it's very problematic! 

I know someone that's recently got a 2019 Aygo & she loves it as it suits her motoring needs perfectly. 

• Like 3

I have a niece who has just purchased her third Aygo and she loves them, this new one came about after a change of job title as the company were happy to pay for mileage but deemed her Aygo to be to old.  So straight to the local Toyota dealership and her gold coloured Aygo became a much newer purple coloured Aygo.  The Point is she needed a new car but never thought of buying anything but another Aygo.

I filled our 107 the other week and it was 1.52, last week it was 1.55 and yesterday it was 1.62. The irony being last year when no petrol anywhere bet many drivers would happily paid £2 a litre! 

My small Aygo is happy with 5,2 liter per 100 km, consumption. Only tested in winter until now.
My previous car needed around 7,2 liter for 100 km, measured all year around.
Saves me 2 liter per 100 km. It's worth something.

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

My small Aygo is happy with 5,2 liter per 100 km, consumption. Only tested in winter until now.
My previous car needed around 7,2 liter for 100 km, measured all year around.
Saves me 2 liter per 100 km. It's worth something.

The Yaris Mk IV, I have is averaging 4,35l/100km (min 4,05, Max 4,6) I think the difference is unlikely to be make the extra cost of the Yaris worth it over an Aygo, from a fuel consumption POV. Coming from 6,35 average, I'm pretty happy.

My humour can be a bit dry at times but I am misunderstood the most when I am making comments about Trump were many think I am praising him (or being very much on his side) when the average Brit can read between the lines.  I guess that is mainly down to the difference between UK and US humour.

Tha UK/US thing would be part of it, but when words are written down your intent, including the nod and the wink (or not, as the case may be) just aren't carried over. One has to be very careful with the written word. Very often I row back on what I write here on the forum. 

I am not even against such fines so long as they are used to improve driving standards and not to swell the coffers of the local council.  Then again I live in a part of the country where the council have used and abused public money so I am very biased against them.

I lived in Wootton Basset for a few months, in a another life time. 

The Mk4 Yaris is literally the most real-world fuel efficient car on the market right now - I reckon it'd be 10-20mpg up on the 1.0L Aygo!

However it also costs nearly twice as much so you'd really just be front-loading the costs. (Well, when you could still buy one... have Toyota seriously discontinued it in favour of the ridiculous Aygo SUV??? What are they smoking??)

Also I did think the 'premium car' tax was a good idea, but I think it needs to be revised upward, esp. for PHEVs. It was meant to discourage people buying giant expensive SUVs and Land Rovers and such to transport nobody, but it like all government initiatives and legislation it's not keeping up with the pace of things and the sharp rise in vehicle prices has pushed more vehicles past that point than was originally intended (But hey a nice windfall for them...)

I mean, look how long it took them to notice that almost all EVs were over £40k and to explicitly exclude them from the premium tax! :laugh: 

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well, when you could still buy one... have Toyota seriously discontinued it in favour of the ridiculous Aygo SUV???

The Suzuki Ignis and Fiat Panda Cross, which are in the same market sector, also have mini-SUV styling. The Ford Ka+ Active was similar.

Perhaps this is the way the sector is going.

At least the Aygo X will have a bit more road presence than its predecessor.

• Like 1

Yeah I get what you mean - Seems everyone has gone SUV mad! But the Ignis and Panda are not really seen in the same class as the Aygo... For one they actually have some off-road chops, and also AWD options!

The Aygo cross doesn't really offer any USP - It still has the same 1.0L engine but is going to be a good chunk more expensive than the Aygo. The whole point of the Aygo was to be as inexpensive as possible without compromising on its core... Toyotaryness, and without that I can't see it remaining a big seller when the Yaris isn't that much more and there are so many other competitors at that price point.

I feel they are just giving away market share to the Up!, which is (was) its main competitor, by doing this... :sad: 

The only competitors to the Aygo are the i10, Picanto, Ignis, Panda, 500 and the Up.

The Up!s days are numbered as the Skoda and Seat clones have already gone.

The Aygo starts from £14,795. Panda from £13,655 (4X4 from £19,100). 500 £14,235. i10 from £13,420. Ignis from £14,749. Picanto from £11,450. Up! from £13,545.

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Tha UK/US thing would be part of it, but when words are written down your intent, including the nod and the wink (or not, as the case may be) just aren't carried over. One has to be very careful with the written word. Very often I row back on what I write here on the forum. 

I lived in Wootton Basset for a few months, in a another life time. 

Now Royal Wotton Bassett of course.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

The Mk4 Yaris is literally the most real-world fuel efficient car on the market right now - I reckon it'd be 10-20mpg up on the 1.0L Aygo!

However it also costs nearly twice as much so you'd really just be front-loading the costs. (Well, when you could still buy one... have Toyota seriously discontinued it in favour of the ridiculous Aygo SUV??? What are they smoking??)

Also I did think the 'premium car' tax was a good idea, but I think it needs to be revised upward, esp. for PHEVs. It was meant to discourage people buying giant expensive SUVs and Land Rovers and such to transport nobody, but it like all government initiatives and legislation it's not keeping up with the pace of things and the sharp rise in vehicle prices has pushed more vehicles past that point than was originally intended (But hey a nice windfall for them...)

I mean, look how long it took them to notice that almost all EVs were over £40k and to explicitly exclude them from the premium tax! :laugh: 

I can see the reason behind the premium car tax, even if it was a bit rich coming from a government not so many years earlier was trying to encourage drivers to move over to diesel many of which were SUVs and Land Rovers and all wheel drives that never left the road.   The error is in applying it and then not keeping it up to date as the world moves on which is very much the point you make.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

The Yaris Mk IV, I have is averaging 4,35l/100km (min 4,05, Max 4,6) I think the difference is unlikely to be make the extra cost of the Yaris worth it over an Aygo, from a fuel consumption POV. Coming from 6,35 average, I'm pretty happy.

Is it the same engine ? With egr ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links