Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Climate control icons on MK4 Yaris

Roger Johnson

I’m not yet fully familiar with all the controls on my new Yaris, especially the climate control buttons.  In certain situations I struggle to identify the correct button to de-mist the front screen in certain light. I’m fine at night when the lights come on as the icons are illuminated. Is the only option to run on sidelights during the day or am I missing something?

Running on sidelights during daylight isn't ideal as these won't be as noticeable to other road users, including pedestrians.

Could try adjusting the brightness of the instrument lighting - page 103 of the attached owners manual.

OM52N30E.pdf

55 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Running on sidelights during daylight isn't ideal as these won't be as noticeable to other road users, including pedestrians.

Could try adjusting the brightness of the instrument lighting - page 103 of the attached owners manual.

55 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

OM52N30E.pdf 128.6 MB · 2 downloads

OM52N30E.pdf 128.6 MB · 2 downloads

I was assuming they weren’t lit at all during daylight hours, I will try doing what you suggest in the morning. Cheers!

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

OM52N30E.pdf 128.6 MB · 6 downloads

Hi Frosty,

I tried that but it doesn’t make any difference, only by turning the lights on does it illuminate the icons. It’s fine in some lights but I’m struggling when the sun is low. I’m sure I will instinctively get used to the positioning of the various buttons when I drive it more but it seems to be a bit of a design issue.

14 hours ago, Roger Johnson said:

In certain situations I struggle to identify the correct button to de-mist the front screen in certain light. I’m fine at night when the lights come on as the icons are illuminated

Do you run A/C all the time ? 

I run the A/C all the time, and it takes car of misting nearly all the time. OTOH, my Yaris is kept in a garage when not in use.

The automatic A/C, and I expect that's what you have automatically selects interior or exterior air. I suspect it's based on temperature, and if you don't have the A/C on you will most likely be recycling humid air.

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Do you run A/C all the time ? 

I run the A/C all the time, and it takes car of misting nearly all the time. OTOH, my Yaris is kept in a garage when not in use.

The automatic A/C, and I expect that's what you have automatically selects interior or exterior air. I suspect it's based on temperature, and if you don't have the A/C on you will most likely be recycling humid air.

Yes I do but on this occasion we got into the car with damp coats and the screen quickly steamed up after driving off. Just needed a quick blast as the engine was still hot but I struggled to see the correct button to send the heat to the screen. As I had already started driving, it was not ideal.

• Like 1

If that's the only one you need to do blind, maybe stick a little glow-in-the-dark dot or a small raised adhesive spot?

I must admit I pretty much only use OFF and AUTO so haven't run into that problem yet :laugh: 

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If that's the only one you need to do blind, maybe stick a little glow-in-the-dark dot or a small raised adhesive spot?

I must admit I pretty much only use OFF and AUTO so haven't run into that problem yet :laugh: 

Yes I’m sure I could do something like that, just don’t get in the car when you are soaking wet! 🥴

• Haha 1

I just press the button with windsceen icon on it, that clears the screen very quickly and noisily. It is small and hard to see though.

3 minutes ago, Mikw said:

I just press the button with windsceen icon on it, that clears the screen very quickly and noisily. It is small and hard to see though.

That’s my point it’s fine at night when the icons are illuminated, not so good during the day.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links