Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel range drop

Anto66

My 2021 1.8 corolla when new displayed a fuel range of 980 km when fully filled, now it's displaying a range of 840km when fully filled. Would like to know if anyone else has came across this issue.

I don't think it's an issue.  It is merely calculating the range on a tankful based on the current average consumption. Reset the tank average and you might increase the theoretical range.

I reset the range display to zero after filling, but would have thought the actual fuel range displayed would be relatively consistently even. The eco score is currently 4.3 litres up from 4.2 during the summer which I realise is very good for winter driving. I have contacted the dealer who seems unsure why the range is falling regardless of how much it takes to fill. Thank you for your reply.

You were driving very light footed when the car was new.  Y comparison you are now more heavy footed. It is a fact the more heavy footed you are, the less miles you will travel per gallon….or in your case the less kilometre per litre"

That’s normal and the difference for the remaining range will depend on quantity of fuel in the tank plus previous average fuel consumption, nothing to worry about. My one varies from 540 miles summer to 417 miles winter and all in between. 👍

Take the range meter with a massive grain of salt. There is a reason why in the EV world it's called the GOM (Guess-o-meter). :laugh: 

They've never been accurate in any car; Just round it to the nearest 50 miles and take that as a guideline of range. I don't even know why they bother putting them in, I've never had one before this car and now that I do I can honestly say it's a waste of processing power.

Your engine is powered by fossil fuels so you don't need to worry about range, just drive it until the tank gets low then consider refuelling. You don't need to obsess over every mile like EV owners do.

• Like 2

Hi there is nothing to worry about during cold weather the fuel range will drop this normal as the petrol engine is used more in colder weather.  When the warmer weather the fuel range will go back up.

• Like 2

as already said nothing wrong , remember when cars had manual chokes you always ran on choke longer in the cold weather as the engine takes longer to reach working temperature.

• Like 2