Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question re. Siri

jamiem1987

Hi guys in prep of my phev being delivered soon i’m debating whether or not to get a wireless carplay adapter but then i’m thinking I could use the built in toyota system as long as a couple of things worked such as being able to play songs on spotify and the like.

Which made me wonder: can you activate siri without any carplay connection (so just standard bluetooth without plugging in) by long or short pressing the voice activiation button on the steering wheel? I’m fairly sure on the demo vehicle i had i couldnt get it to work (that was a MY21 mine will be a 22)

I can do this on my current bmw and it works well. 

Many thanks!

I think with the Android Auto/Google it has to be connected via the USB for the 'long press' to enable Google search, which is similar to how you've seen Siri work on your test drive. So probably no, but I'm sure someone who uses CarPlay will comment.

I use Google Assistant rather than Siri but I'd guess they work the same. It will work over bluetooth but my own experience has been hit and miss. It sometimes seems to struggle to hear me as well as it does on the phone. There may be some tweaks available on the car or the phone that I haven't explored yet because I don't use voice control that much.

The inbuilt UI can be a bit frustrating so I more or less always use Android Auto unless I'm not navigating and only listening to the radio. I'm also interested in a wireless adapter at some point but haven't researched it enough yet.

Damn that’s unfortunate  - I’ve no problem using car play but i’m fairly certain the nav from carplay won’t mirror upto the heads up display which is a feature i do use a lot when using sat nav. I’ll get a wireless car play adapter either way and at least i have all angles covered.

Re the carplay, is it possible to use the cars sat nav whilst using car play for the music (spotify etc)?

Jamie

• Like 1

Not sure about Apple Carplay but AA can use Google Maps, Waze, TomTom Go, TomTom Amigo amongst many other Nav apps so I'd assume these apps are available on iPhone so Carplay could?? Hopefully a member who has an iPhone can confirm for certain.

I've never tried using the Toyota Nav while using AA but you can flick between AA and say the radio so I don't see why not. I'll give it a go on AA and let you know.

Sorry, just realised I misread what you were saying with heads up display. I was thinking the multimedia screen, doh!

I only have a Dynamic so don't have HUD but have read in here that the directions are not shown on the HUD. You can display them on the MID but they don't "pop up" like they do on the Toyota Nav, you have to select that screen and the next instruction is always there.

Just confirmed on AA that you can listen to music, podcasts, etc. on AA and use the Toyota Nav at the same time if that's what you want to do.

Also the MID can display directions from any of the Nav apps I've got installed. It's one press right when on the consumption display.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links