Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EV mode

daninplymouth

I can understand what TonyHSD is saying about allowing the engine to run for a minute or so in really cold weather. The oils is going to be a little “stiffer” in moving around the oil ways, so a little time just helps get some circulated.

• Thanks 1

That is true... although with the 0w8 in mine the oil is never going to be really sluggish at the temperatures we see here :laugh: 

We all have different driving experiences and needs therefore it would be different for all of us how we use the cars after start up, wait few seconds few minutes or immediately go like some people do crank the engine with clutch depressed and first gear engaged then release the clutch and off you go , that’s definitely wrong. The idea of waiting just a minute in cold temperatures is to let the moving parts warm up a bit and oil to circulate with “correct flow rate and pressure” , I am not saying to wait for 5-10 min but only a minute or two if it’s very cold. In fact when driving with cold engine you can feel it a bit more tight and noisier and this is happening because of extra friction. Toyota hybrids are probably the fastest warming up engines of all ice cars. 

• Like 1

It's also less of a problem for me because my car is kept in the garage and shares it with my central heating boiler. I don't think the temperature ever drops into single digits 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oooh your lucky car is so pampered! :laugh: 

• Like 1

in my opinion with modern materials, computer monitoring, better oils etc just start the car let it go through its checks fasten your  seatbelt pop a mint in your` mouth and your` good to go.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, twintopp said:

in my opinion with modern materials, computer monitoring, better oils etc just start the car let it go through its checks fasten your  seatbelt pop a mint in your` mouth and your` good to go.

I don’t like mints, will it make any difference if I suck a jelly baby?  😄

• Haha 3

We are getting regular frosts in my location at the moment. I let the car warm up and defrost itself. It takes around 10 mins. I hate the sound of people using a scraper on their windows. It makes me cringe. I like mints and jelly babies by the way but not first thing in the morning.😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigblock said:

We are getting regular frosts in my location at the moment. I let the car warm up and defrost itself. It takes around 10 mins. I hate the sound of people using a scraper on their windows. It makes me cringe. I like mints and jelly babies by the way but not first thing in the morning.😁

I must admit I scrape when I'm on the road because I hate de-icer, haven't carried it for donkeys.

At home, I've always boiled just a cupful of water in the kettle before filling it up the rest of the way from the cold tap. That gives just enough temperature to melt the ice effectively without risking breaking the glass from thermal shock - you need a squeegee to wipe the water off immediately after melting the frost or it can easily freeze again. I would still hesitate to recommend it but it's worked fine for me the last 20 years, often doing 2 cars the same way.

22 hours ago, twintopp said:

50 years ago a friend bought an Alfa Romeo 1350 GTV.  He loved it.  He always ran it until the engine was warm. 

Same time, I had a SAAB 99. Ditto. I had windscreen wiper heating that I fitted.  I also considered fitting a sump heater, water heater and trickle charger. 

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

50 years ago a friend bought an Alfa Romeo 1350 GTV.  He loved it.  He always ran it until the engine was warm. 

Same time, I had a SAAB 99. Ditto. I had windscreen wiper heating that I fitted.  I also considered fitting a sump heater, water heater and trickle charger. 

If you drove an Italian car of that vintage on salted winter roads, engine life was usually the least of your worries 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi all, 

If i have to drive the hybrid car in the morning for a mere distance of 3.5 miles (to journey) , park it for an hour or so, and then come back (back journey) , would the car be running ICE or EV for the 'to' and 'back' journey? 

It will use whatever it thinks is best, most likely a mix of both.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:28 AM, AndrueC said:

It's also less of a problem for me because my car is kept in the garage and shares it with my central heating boiler. I don't think the temperature ever drops into single digits 🙂

Wow, nice to hear of another garage user. Jump in on a frosty morning and drive away. We are a dying breed AndrueC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spo2 said:

Hi all, 

If i have to drive the hybrid car in the morning for a mere distance of 3.5 miles (to journey) , park it for an hour or so, and then come back (back journey) , would the car be running ICE or EV for the 'to' and 'back' journey? 

If that will be your regular journeys every week a full electric car will be a better option. If you have an option for a home charger, or at least a plug in hybrid that will provide petrol free journeys. Self charging hybrids usually are petrol cars that in which the engine gets help from electric motor and in some situations you can drive on pure electric but not for long, most of the time is a mixture of both. 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If that will be your regular journeys every week a full electric car will be a better option. If you have an option for a home charger, or at least a plug in hybrid that will provide petrol free journeys. Self charging hybrids usually are petrol cars that in which the engine gets help from electric motor and in some situations you can drive on pure electric but not for long, most of the time is a mixture of both. 

Thanks @TonyHSD. I drive everyday like that but we do drive long journey around 250 miles once a month. Putting a charger is not an option. 

1 minute ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks @TonyHSD. I drive everyday like that but we do drive long journey around 250 miles once a month. Putting a charger is not an option. 

Well in this case just a regular Toyota hybrid will do it. I drive 200+ miles a day in one of these and no complains, we also have a full ev but I don’t touch that for obvious reasons 🔌🔋😅

11 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Hi all, 

That’s a similar profile to my usage. The answer is “it depends” on the route profile. Clearly if you start out by going up hill you are more likely to have the ICE running, if you start off down hill, the opposite applies.

A significant factor is ambient temperature, the colder it is and the more you want to be cosy in the car the more the ICE will run. Around the village I can get about 55% EV time. Rarely, or not at all even, will my Yaris IV be in EV mode for the first start of the day.

Coming home is essentially an uphill run of 800 metres. I try to get that segment done in EV mode, the car does it maybe 5% of the time in 100% EV mode, but the other 95% of the time the ICE comes on over a steeper 20 metre stretch. I treat it as a game.

• Like 1

first,are the auto wipers off? free the blades from ice.Do I ?  if only.

9 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Coming home is essentially an uphill run of 800 metres. I try to get that segment done in EV mode, the car does it maybe 5% of the time in 100% EV mode, but the other 95% of the time the ICE comes on over a steeper 20 metre stretch. I treat it as a game.

I managed it this afternoon, EV mode for the last 800 metres - but I needed a run up of 20 km, and a total out and back of 40km. While I was out I left the car parked in the sun, it showed a cosy 14°C starting the rerun journey, as opposed to the 6°C it showed when leaving the garage. RT average fuel consumption was 3,7l/100 (c. 77 mpg). The car definitely runs sweeter when it has a chance to be warm.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, Spo2 said:

Hi all, 

Most likely, no. The car is programmed to get the ICE up to working temp as a priority. A self-charging hybrid is not a suitable choice if you want to get to and from work/shopping using electric power only.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I managed it this afternoon, EV mode for the last 800 metres - but I needed a run up of 20 km, and a total out and back of 40km. While I was out I left the car parked in the sun, it showed a cosy 14°C starting the rerun journey, as opposed to the 6°C it showed when leaving the garage. RT average fuel consumption was 3,7l/100 (c. 77 mpg). The car definitely runs sweeter when it has a chance to be warm.

As an update : Today is the market run which is very short, the car doesn't have time to warm up. I applied the official @Cyker frozenballs method, i.e. AC off, heater off. As I said it's a very short trip, result : 7,6l/100 km and 89% EV distance, 79% time to the outbound, 5,2l/100 km and 60% EV distance, 73% time inbound, vs. 16,4l/100, 0% distance, 0% time and 8,4l/100, 38% distance, 41% time.

So for those very short local trips, it looks like it isn't worth trying to keep warm, or, probably, to cool down!

• Haha 1

OTOH Peter that differing fuel consumption and fuel saving would probly not fill a tea cup 😉

It would be more relevant just getting it in and out of the garage and manoeuvring on the drive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tbh the best is to set your heating/ ac settings once and forget about them, and only turn off fan when you need to forced  turn off the ice while choosing ev mode manually for parking purposes as mentioned. Playing with hvac saves nothing and likely to introduce moisture into the cabin and we’ll known consequences. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links