Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo - lost the only key I have

Sagwala123

Good evening. I have a very basic 1.0 2009 Aygo.

I have lost my only Key, what is my best course of action.

Toyota have quoted me £820 for new ECU, key and programming. 

That is just not viable. The car isn't worth that.

Any suggestions please. Many thanks.

Try an auto locksmith. The AA also offer a mobile service - Key Assist 08082732560.

The moral of the story is - make sure you always have 2 keys.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Thanks .... There's always one 🙄😉

• Like 3

You can probably get a replacement set of locks and ECU from a scrap yard and get a local garage to fit them.

Is there no possibility of you finding the key?

The Aygo is really easy to break into so it's possible to break into the car, remove the lock and get a new key cut from that, but the ECU immobilizer is a bit trickier. I'm not sure if you can code a new immobilizer code into the ECU with e.g. Toyota Techstream software.

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

You can probably get a replacement set of locks and ECU from a scrap yard and get a local garage to fit them.

Is there no possibility of you finding the key?

The Aygo is really easy to break into so it's possible to break into the car, remove the lock and get a new key cut from that, but the ECU immobilizer is a bit trickier. I'm not sure if you can code a new immobilizer code into the ECU with e.g. Toyota Techstream software.

Yes. I did give this a thought. The car is actually unlocked so don't actually have to break in a s such. 

Just now, Sagwala123 said:

Yes. I did give this a thought. The car is actually unlocked so don't actually have to break in a s such. 

I am devoting tomorrow to turning everything upside down to find the key 🤞. Thanks for your assistance 👍

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sagwala123 said:

If I can get a new key cut from the 'lock' is it not just a case of coding that key to the existing ECU ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sagwala123 said:

If I can get a new key cut from the 'lock' is it not just a case of coding that key to the existing ECU ? 

As well as the key blade there is also a small immobiliser 'chip' inside the key body that is needed to start the car.

9 hours ago, Sagwala123 said:

Its a Toyota security system & without a working key available its virtually impossible to code a replacement key in to the existing security system.

Your best advice is to ask a decent automotive locksmith if they can help you.

You can try a Toyota main dealer but its likely to be expensive. 

The first thing I did when I bought my teenage son his first car (Aygo) was get a spare key made as there is always a risk of losing the only one available. While the guy was here he showed me a video of an Aygo he did in Anglesey where the girl had lost its only key. The dashboard was completely out so he could get to the parts he needed to get too (I guess maybe ecu / immobiliser) and he said the price he charged her was £550 which was a lot cheaper than the main stealers

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

My main idea too : never own or drive a car when there is just one key.
Always make sure you get a second as it's a well known fact that you're in trouble if you lose the last one.

31 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

My main idea too : never own or drive a car when there is just one key.
Always make sure you get a second as it's a well known fact that you're in trouble if you lose the last one.

Too true. Maybe 8 years ago the wife bought a used Yaris diesel (our first Toyota).  We sorted a monetary-trade in deal, but I said to the salesman I not buying without the 2nd key. They sorted a new one for her. 👍

No pun intended nor blame towards the owner of this car / topic starter.
People do lock doors with the key inside, lose their key a long way from home, put diesel in the tank where it should be petrol etc...
These things happen .

Just meant to bring ideas to people driving an X year old car who have only one key, no matter what brand.
Beware of the cost when you lose the last key. Every driver should know that and that's why we're telling people who read this forum.

To TS : hope you find your key back.. that's the best and only real easy and cheap solution.  Good luck !

an aygo breakers would sell you the required parts and a couple of hrs labour to fit them

And that second key is put there somewhere.  All the person that has the key is a car that fits.......... 

Whilst this doesn't solve your problem the information may be of use to you. On Tuesday I sold my Aygo it was a 2012 model so key wise it may differ. I sold it with the master key and 1 slave. I lost the other slave 😞

The car was bought new and came with 3 keys. 1 key is the master key and this is the one copies are made from. The master fob part is slightly smaller than the other 2 keys because it does not have the lock/unlock remote buttons.

I wish you success in your search.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Have their key sent to them and wait for it...

Go to get the key and come back...

Wait until the end of holiday, go home by public transport, return to pick the car up again later..

Find a good car thief who has the stuff to order the car to start just by computer...

17 hours ago, jadenwu said:

Hypothetically speaking . . . what does one do if they lose their push button start Honda Fit key while on vacation hundreds of miles away from home where the spare key is located?

Call an auto locksmith they can code a new aftermarket fob, get a same day courier to bring the spare to you

When I first purchased my Aygo I was not aware how expensive it could get if you lost the only key otherwise I would have insisted on a second key.  Once I saw the cost, thanks to a thread on this forum, I purchased a second from the dealer.  I cost me £130 odd pound in total which included the complete new fob and programming.  Not cheap but better than the alternative and worth a fair amount just for the peace of mind.

• Like 3