Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

oil filter cup tool size recommendation

Paul Gailey

hi all, 

am looking for recommendations of exact size of oil filter cup spanner.

i have a 2.2D 177CV T25 estate and fancy having a go myself at the oil filter change - but want the right tool so not to cause damage to the oil filter housing.

some of these tools appear to be 64mm or 64.5mm or 65mm and are listed for Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Sienna, Tundra and not explicitly for the Avensis.

Anyone have confidence that a 64.5mm 14 flute cup would be suitable?

fyi, there is another old thread about this although it may be for a different model 

Screenshot of Herramienta removedora de tapa de filtro de aceite, 14 flauta, 64,5mm, para Toyota Lexus_ _ - AliExpress.jpg

I have Sealey VS7112 oil filter cap wrench for my 2.2D.

It is possible to remove the housing without the filter wrench.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That appears to be the same spec.👍

• 2 weeks later...

@Stivino do you think i can access/remove it with a standard rubber strap wrench?

Possibly, if it’s not too tight.

Do you know how to drain it using the nut on the bottom and the plastic tube?

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

Possibly, if it’s not too tight.

Do you know how to drain it using the nut on the bottom and the plastic tube?

only from what ive seen off youtube. I guess i will need that tube kit to drain it then or it that optional?

When you buy a filter, it usually (I’ve had one with every filter) comes with the plastic drain.

Draining the filter housing makes it much less messy when you remove it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:43 PM, Stivino said:

When you buy a filter, it usually (I’ve had one with every filter) comes with the plastic drain.

Draining the filter housing makes it much less messy when you remove it.

ok, so i got an oil filter and it has that tube to drain the oil within it.

today i removed the underside vehcile plastic to inspect the filter and found this (photo attached - highlighted in green)

so whomever last serviced this, they damaged that bolt cap that drains the oil from the filter.

so it's unclear if i will be able to safely undo that bolt cap, i gave it a little effort and those stripped bolt threads do not augur well

so my question is, is that cap available as a spare part alone in the event i do ultimately remove it once i take the whole filter off?

in terms of the filter itself, my rubber strap wrench was unable to move it and rubber/wooden mallet persuasion and some teflon spray on the seal did not help either.....so i am going to order the spanner cup wrench tool.

20220129_155604_2.jpg

Yes, you will need a proper tool, long breaker bar, socket, and new filter housing. All available from eBayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AVENSIS-OIL-FILTER-HOUSING-CAP-COVER-2-2-D-4D-15650-38020-15650-0R020-/383661011849?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Anything you need just type in eBay search window and different options pops up. 
Good luck 

Can’t you get a set of Stilsons onto the outside of that?

There is no need for that to be horsed up so tight.

Just get another nut at a scrappy.

Over tightening of the oil filter is very common, and very needless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

forgive the newbie tool query....my specific cup wrench tool arrived, but my socket set is metric and the 24mm socket is too small and the 27mm slightly to loose to attach securely to the cup.

none of the square inserts fit the inner part of the 3/8 cup either.

are there common 3/8 to metric adaptor sockets for this or do i need to get a whole new devoted closed spanner for this?

20220210_145038.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links