Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Coaching

JonathanP

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to help, I'm just a little confused.
My Prius Excel has the MM19 multimedia unit with Android and Apple Car functions (which I've not actually used, as it then expects all the music to stream from the phone instead).
What I'm puzzled about is Hybrid Coaching isn't a feature in the MyT app, but is for all other Hybrid cars with the MM19 unit.
When I contacted Toyota on Twitter about this they replied that the Multimedia unit is older and not compatible.
I'm not sure how true this answer could be as if it has the same MM19 unit as all other Hybrid cars which feature it why would it not be available as it feels more like a feature which needs to be added into the MyT app rather than something wrong with the Prius Multimedia system.

I e-mailed the MyT app team ages ago and not had a single reply, I suspect they simply don't want to spend money on app development to simply add the code required for the feature?

38 minutes ago, JonathanP said:

I'm not sure how true this answer could be as if it has the same MM19 unit as all other Hybrid car

Most of the latest Toyotas (eg Yaris Cross, most of the MY22 refreshes) are now being equipped with Toyota's Smart Connect, which is the latest multimedia platform, leaving the lower spec versions with the MM19.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/what-is-toyota-smart-connect/

Aside from the above there are rumours there will be a new Prius in 2023.

• 4 weeks later...

Frosty I see the City Pack option replaces Toyota Smart Connect with Toyota Touch 2 in the Cross.  Does that mean it gets the older Satnav display or what is the difference? 

37 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Frosty I see the City Pack option replaces Toyota Smart Connect with Toyota Touch 2 in the Cross. 

Yes it gets the lower spec Touch 2. See the following for info on Smart Connect -https://mag.toyota.co.uk/what-is-toyota-smart-connect/

Thank you, yes I had seen that link, hence the question. I will have to speak with our salesman and cancel the City Pack. 

Damnit, I was praising them for having physical controls but it looks like this new system has removed most of them!!

The volume dial and jog selector are godsends on the Mk4. The touchscreen is almost impossible to use when the car is moving!

By jog do you mean changing channels etc?  I use the steering wheel controls 

Yeah, so if I want to scroll through folders to find a specific song or navigate the contacts list or something to pick a specific item (Which you can't use the steering wheel controls for!), it's so handy being able to use the jog dial rather than trying to stab the screen with your finger (And miss repeatedly :laugh: )

I tried using the search by typing while driving, but even with the driving assist it is just impossible to do safely or accurately. The voice recognition just doesn't work for me at all once I'm on the motorway and just keeps telling me it doesn't recognise what song I'm asking for, when I'm yelling CALL! CAALL! CAAAAALLL!!! at it to try and dial someone.

I find it much much faster and safer to just stab the PHONE button, then spin the jog dial until it's on who I want, and I can do this without taking my eyes off the road for more than a split second unlike the touch or search methods...!

Voice recognition and voice format make this one of the least useful features.  Besides Call, trying to give it a location is inflexible.  How many places don't have a house number.  I have managed some calls but beyond that nothing.

Yeah, I didn't expect much TBH. Voice recognition systems are still very hit and miss, I wonder if they ever got it to work reliably in the EF2000 and F35 without having to voice-profile the pilot first!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links