Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turning car off in E (drive) (automatic)

Rolfesz1993

Hi everyone hope you can help. On one or more occasion iv pulled up in a rush or probably not thinking straight and left my gear in E, when I come to set off again my car wont start and the shifter is also stuck in E. Iv eventually got the engine on somehow with help from a family member. I am obviously aware I need to make sure I put it into N when I park but I was wondering what exactly is the right thing to do if this happens again? 

Many thanks 

I leave mine parked in E all the time, its supposed to be a fail safe in case the handbrake fails. You always need to press the foot brake when you move it to neutral before starting the engine.

• Like 1

Oh... does the auto Aygo not have a P position?

Normally with automatic shifters, there is a little notch near it somewhere which you can jam your key or a screwdriver into to 'unlock' the shift lever. There might be a little cover you have to remove first to get to it.

I had to do that to my Mk4 when I needed to move it out of P to get the centre console out!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Oh... does the auto Aygo not have a P position?

Normally with automatic shifters, there is a little notch near it somewhere which you can jam your key or a screwdriver into to 'unlock' the shift lever. There might be a little cover you have to remove first to get to it.

I had to do that to my Mk4 when I needed to move it out of P to get the centre console out!

No, its not a conventional auto, you get E for normal automatic mode, then N and R, then a manual mode.

• Like 1

Thanks Wiz :thumbsup:; Never driven an auto one so didn't know!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links