Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can't get into the car

Chris Clemence

Help please.

Today I found that both key fobs have stopped working and I suspect flat batteries. I have ordered new ones.

I attempted to use the manual key from the fob and after no end of wiggling in both directions (and some wd40) the lock moves but does not unlock the door.

So I am stuck out of the car at the moment.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris.

• Like 1

Maybe by tomorrow the WD40 will have done it’s job and released the lock. If not, give it another squirt and wiggle the key about, then leave again.  Don’t forget, once free to squirt some lubrication in the lock.

Do the keys show a red light when operated?  Mine do. 

With you reminder I have just swapped keys. 

23 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Maybe by tomorrow the WD40 will have done it’s job and released the lock. If not, give it another squirt and wiggle the key about, then leave again.  Don’t forget, once free to squirt some lubrication in the lock.

Thanks will try again as you suggest. But the lock is moving just not unlocking. Grrr!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Do the keys show a red light when operated?  Mine do. 

With you reminder I have just swapped keys. 

No, but I have ordered new batteries so we wil see. Thank you.

If it's the little spare key you may need to grip the key with a pair of pliers, plenty of lube work the key in and out ant turn left to right - the locks just fill up with junk over time with the lack of use

Also try putting a little pressure on and off on the car door with your other hand whilst you’re turning the key.

• 8 months later...

I had this problem with my 2011 iQ, last year.  I tried the usual trick of pushing wd40 into the lock. I rang local Toyota dealers and they said apply more torque , on that small key. So I used a small adjustable spanner  on the key, and prayed that it would not break; hey presto ! 

Now , I check that the small key and mechanism is still working, every month or so, and do not need extra leverage. Everyone should  check that their iQ keys will still work.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links