Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vehicle Excise duty 2022

Steven83

So been reading about the car tax hike that is apparently coming this year.

at the moment my 2015 auris hybrid is free tax but I can’t find any info of whether I will need to start paying tax with these new rules. 

does anybody know? 

Just taxed mine and its zero rated, tax rates change will be for new and higher polluting cars

Cars registered after 01/04/2017 are taxed at a higher rate

• Like 1

£165?!?! That's nearly what my dad's 2.2 litre torque converter automatic Merc estate was taxed for while he owned it!!! :crybaby: 

It's really infuriating that my Mk4 is going to be the most expensively taxed car I have owned despite being the most efficient and least polluting!

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

£165?!?! That's nearly what my dad's 2.2 litre torque converter automatic Merc estate was taxed for while he owned it!!! :crybaby: 

It's really infuriating that my Mk4 is going to be the most expensively taxed car I have owned despite being the most efficient and least polluting!

Hybrids are taxed a £155 2022-2023

Alternative fuelled vehicles, including hybrids, bioethanol and liquid petroleum gas, pay £155 per annum.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

We pay €180 which is regarded as pretty low here. We also pay €180 for my wife’s 1ltr Yaris. As the size of the engine increases so the amount which we have to pay.😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We’ll be getting taxed to break wind soon.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Hybrids are taxed a £155 2022-2023

Alternative fuelled vehicles, including hybrids, bioethanol and liquid petroleum gas, pay £155 per annum.

Ahh, good eyes, I didn't spot that little bit at the bottom of the table

Okay I feel better about that... price frozen, so at least we're not being slapped in the face as hard for getting a new hybrid...! Still, I would have preferred it stay at the £130 it started off as... then at least it's still less than a 1.3 litre Mk1 Yaris...!

41 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

We pay €180 which is regarded as pretty low here. We also pay €180 for my wife’s 1ltr Yaris. As the size of the engine increases so the amount which we have to pay.😡

Yea I suppose I shouldn't complain too much as it could be worse... every time I whinge about taxes or fuel costs or something my scandinavian friends are like, "Oh, you think that's a lot do you? Well let me tell you how much that is here...!" :laugh: 

• Haha 1

So older hybrids are tax free for life 🔋👌✔️

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Not necessarily. Any future Government can change the VED system, which could then bring in hybrids and electric vehicles into the taxation envelope.

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not necessarily. Any future Government can change the VED system, which could then bring in hybrids and electric vehicles into the taxation envelope.

Ok then, for now at least 😉

56 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ahh, good eyes, I didn't spot that little bit at the bottom of the table

Okay I feel better about that... price frozen, so at least we're not being slapped in the face as hard for getting a new hybrid...! Still, I would have preferred it stay at the £130 it started off as... then at least it's still less than a 1.3 litre Mk1 Yaris...!

Yea I suppose I shouldn't complain too much as it could be worse... every time I whinge about taxes or fuel costs or something my scandinavian friends are like, "Oh, you think that's a lot do you? Well let me tell you how much that is here...!" :laugh: 

But aren’t wages much higher in Scandinavian countries? 😆

It’s a shame when someone buys a low emission car to benefit from free/cheap tax and then it goes up. 

funny how all these “clean air” type taxes start coming in after the government paid a load of wages over the past few years. 

fuel has gone up so much recently that my hybrid now costs the same to drive 400 miles as it did in my 3.0 petrol bmw 😆

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven83 said:

We’ll be getting taxed to break wind soon.

😂🤣, Steven, not frequent enough to be a real cash cow, taking in the air which we all have to do to stay alive, would be a greater financial heist 🧐😲

27 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

😂🤣, Steven, not frequent enough to be a real cash cow, taking in the air which we all have to do to stay alive, would be a greater financial heist 🧐😲

I’m thinking total recall 😆

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

But aren’t wages much higher in Scandinavian countries? 😆

Not if my friends are to be believed! Seems to be comparable for London wages for the most part... maybe a bit higher, but they get taxed more so it balances out...

52 minutes ago, Steven83 said:

It’s a shame when someone buys a low emission car to benefit from free/cheap tax and then it goes up. 

funny how all these “clean air” type taxes start coming in after the government paid a load of wages over the past few years. 

fuel has gone up so much recently that my hybrid now costs the same to drive 400 miles as it did in my 3.0 petrol bmw 😆

Yeah, after the huge chunk of VAT they've made from me buying the Mk4 new, it does leave a sour taste!

I'm kinda resigned to fuel prices just going up - I'm not desperate enough to try making my own by pyrolyzing and distilling my plastic waste yet :laugh: 

If I still had a diesel tho' I'd be very tempted to mooch off my friend's home-made diesel...! :laugh:

I think I was paying £35 for a full tank in my old diesel Yaris for 600 miles back in the day; Be well over £50 now I think!! 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Very likely; While it is possible they'll raise the A and B tax bands in the future, so far they've shied away from it (Probably because it will affect them!). You'll probably need to replace your Auris before they change that!

Thankfully they can't easily change your tax band or move it onto a new system like the flat-rate system newer cars are on so I reckon you're safe. You lucky git you! :tongue:

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thankfully they can't easily change your tax band or move it onto a new system like the flat-rate system newer cars are on so I reckon you're safe.

Yes they can. Just because the status quo for hybrids older than April 2017 is zero VED, doesn't mean that couldn't change in the future.

A prime example is the proposed change in prescription charges for the over-60's in England - currently free, but there is a possibility Government will tie free prescriptions to the state retirement age (66) later this year. Meaning that those between 60 and 66 who currently get free prescriptions may have to start paying for them again.

It is inevitable that vied will rise. In the years to come there will be a massive drop in diesel vehicles so an equally massive drop in taxes brought in, so it is logical they will hit the zero rated vehicles. Question is when.

I didn't say they couldn't, just that they couldn't easily. It would require some very big legislation changes, and data that is not available on older cars to classify them under the current system simply because homologation didn't require as much data back then.

The only way I can see it possible is if they scrap all the current bands and just have a flat rate, but then they'd loose out on all that juicy first-year tax on new purchases. It'd also be political suicide for whoever pulled the trigger on that. Very very unlikely to happen.

This is why we now have 3 different tax systems for cars - The one based on engine size, the one based on CO2 emissions, and the new one which is mostly flat-rate with arbitrary extra charges based on CO2 and car value - and will almost certainly have a forth in the future. It's just simpler (And thus cheaper) to apply new legislation to new vehicles rather than retroactively apply them.

I didn't say they would use the system for post 2017 vehicles, for pre 2017 vehicles. 

There will certainly be a case at some point for having one system that will encompass petrol, diesel and alternative fuel vehicles. 

I've worked in Government procurement, have seen many changes in policy and programmes, and changing the VED system needn't be that difficult.

Well our government doesn't have great track record for doing things that shouldn't be difficult :laugh: 

Heck, they still haven't been able to make the abolition of the tax disc work for them and it's been how many years now? I've seen rumours they're considering bring it back because they are *still* loosing far more money than they saved by abolishing them in the first place!

If they make any change to the VED system, I think it's more likely they'll abolish it, and fuel tax, completely and move to a distance-based system using e.g. your MOT mileages or something, as they are loosing a lot of money to EV owners and that will only accelerate the closer we get to 2030.

But from their track record, I think it's by far more likely we'll just have 4 different car tax systems :laugh: 

In fact before the budget, road pricing was on the agenda and was only dropped due to rising fuel prices. 

• Like 1

Re abolition of the tax disc. With automatic number plate recognition they know which vehicles have not been taxed, it is known what address that vehicle is registered at and by who so that is a good starter for getting the payment. Having a circular piece of paper in a windscreen holder does not necessarily mean a lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Having a circular piece of paper in a windscreen holder does not necessarily mean a lot.

The team I worked on used Crown vehicles for a lot of our official travel, which had Crown exemption discs in place of the standard VED disc. We were stopped numerous times by police as they didn't recognise the certificates.

They also carried no insurance - in the event of any accident the Department's fleet management team dealt with claims.

• Haha 2