Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update Yaris Hybrid MPG

Bernard Foy

Isn’t that the switch to turn the fan OFF completely ?

Depending on the set temperature, there will still be some cabin heating going on, surely ?
i.e. the heater is still ON.

Thank you Dala!

And no, that button turns the climate control system off so no AC, no fan, no heat. I don't know if it closes the coolant loop to the heater matrix too, but regardless the net result is the system stops taking heat from the engine to heat the cabin. But isn't this just like in every car? I'm sure you are over-thinking this.

This is my first car with climate control, but on all the others turning the fan off or setting the heat control to cold stops drawing heat from the engine...

• Like 1

Well the last Yaris and the first Auris are so similar and shows pretty similarly the required information., with auris been one bar that goes up and down. Here it is for comparison. The blocks in question I called them bars, don’t know which one is correct but yes there is a temp gauge. No need to worry if bars are 3-4 or more as long as staying up to the middle it’s fine , above middle is going towards overheating. 👍 Heating can be off by temp settings or fan off. 

3734859F-7DAD-4A85-A626-6487A93E62DF.jpeg

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, if you turn fan off no heating will be supplied as inside dash flaps will shut and no air will flow into the cabin and you will get steamed windows all around. Keep fan set  at speed 2 all the time helps against any moisture issues. 👌

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mikw said:

I think i do the opposite to you, i increase speed very steadily so it stays on the electic motor for as long as possible, but i do coast to a halt for a long distance like you do.

I know what you mean about engine heat, around town the engine is never above 3 blocks and often drops to 2 blocks, sometimes even 1. That's another reason i pull of steadily as don't like to overrev on a cooler than optimal engine.

Don't know if i'm doing the right thing ot not though.

it is better to switch off the ECO driving mode for better engine warm-up
is written in the manual

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dexter290 said:

Off to collect the wife from the nearby (42km) bus station later. When I dropped her off on Thursday I got 80.78 mpg on the way there and 57.9 mpg on the way back. Will see what it reports today. The difference is we live at 875 metres and the bus station is at 290 metres. Frequently get a red mark for braking for roundabouts even though I think I approach them very gently. Overall average for 1600Km in the month we've had it is 57.5 mpg or 4.9l/100km in Euros.

Different again, 90.1mpg outbound, 48.7 homeward, including a chat to the Guardia Civil in both directions. Was around 10°c on the way but was dropping rapidly down to 4° on the way back. Overall average is still dropping, be interesting when the weather starts to get warmer how much better it gets until the real heat of summer hits and the aircon will be working hard.

• Like 1

Wow, 90mpg?? How long is this downhill part?? :laugh: 

My experience in summer so far was great - The AC is electrical so it essentially runs off 'spare' power the car has recovered; This car has the smallest impact on mpg in summer with the AC on of any car I've driven. I had it on all the time and was still hitting 80mpg! Was very impressed; The mpg hit is a bit painful in winter, but summer makes up for it!

• Thanks 1

the altitude profile of the route is important
you have to count the way back and forth
then make an average
you cannot count individual rides

if we count it as individual rides, it is possible to achieve the impossible
I had the lowest consumption of 134 mpg

Screenshot_2021-07-31-19-32-19-103_app.mytoyota.toyota_com.mytoyota.jpg.91e8598b15f4765282d50afc4b8c22a9.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, one of the unfortunate aspects of living part way up a mountain. What goes down must come back up again, well if you want to get home anyway.

• Like 2

The old rule of thumb applies “the more miles covered will give more accurate mpg”.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dala said:

it is better to switch off the ECO driving mode for better engine warm-up
is written in the manual

Yeah, i don't really use eco mode that much to be honest. I have done in the past but i find a gentle right foot can achieve the same

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mikw said:

Yeah, i don't really use eco mode that much to be honest. I have done in the past but i find a gentle right foot can achieve the same

So why not use the Eco mode.?

Ooh ooh I know! Because he has a gentle right foot! :laugh: 

• Haha 5

Well folks my simple little post re the Yaris mpg provoked a myriad of very informative and useful responses and I’ve enjoyed reading them, thank you all. I will continue to update from time to time.👏👏.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 10:35 PM, Catlover said:

So why not use the Eco mode.?

Eco mode makes the accelerator feel disconnected, sluggish acceleration plus affecting the heating and ac functions too. There is some use though, like when in town, parking manoeuvre, starting off on slippery surfaces, but again every driver that has a a good feel for it’s car can manage in normal mode. Eco mode especially on long drives A roads and motorways is no go definitely unless you are using cruise control. Eco mode = mpg , power mode = pleasure drive , Normal mode = both 😉👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two 110km mostly autoroute trips, yesterday. Ambient temperature roughly 11°C, the MyT average for the out and back 4,35l/100km (65mpg). I used ACC for about 75% of those trips. The roundtrip involves about 500 metres change in altitude.

My first brim to brim fill gave me 4,66l/100km (c. 61 mpg), that was mostly short journeys < 10km with a fair sprinkling of c. 25km trips. I'm pretty happy with the 4,66 average, given that the last brim to brim on the 208 was 6,58 (mid December) which is broadly comparable weather wise. Both tanks on E10, which is my normal for the last 6 years or so. I was hoping for a 30-40% improvement in fuel economy, that clocks in at about 29%.

• Like 3

Since we bought our 2021 Yaris in April of 2021, we've been getting a steady   65-67mpg.

Since a recall just before Christmas, this has dropped to the mid to low 50s.  I assume this is a

software issue, which I'll get sorted at some time. I know I've been using the heated window

and air con a lot, but that doesn't account for such a large drop in mpg.

Before anyone says anything, I know the readouts are not accurate, and I do know how to get an accurate figure  😃

• Like 2

April is beginning of consistently warmer weather, in the summer mpg can be up to 10mpg better then winter driving. The engine is on longer to warm up, plus extra electrics get used. All cars suffer in the winter months, hybrid more so because it is part electric. Pure electric vehicles can suffer an awful lot. Batteries don’t like the cold….. even your torch Battery won’t last as long.

• Like 2

Say, are you lot resetting the mpg figure (e.g. by tapping on the trip information history and hitting Update) when you fill up or just letting it run continuously?

Also, my not-using-the-heater tactic is paying off - Half-way through this tank of fuel, currently 72.3mpg :biggrin: 

I think what I'm saving in petrol is costing me in coats, gloves, hats and hot drinks tho'... :unsure: :laugh: 

I've also cleaned what appears to be about 15 metric tons of guck out of the wheel arches (How do they hold so much dirt against gravity?!?!?) so I feel that may be helping too :laugh: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Say, are you lot resetting the mpg figure (e.g. by tapping on the trip information history and hitting Update) when you fill up or just letting it run continuously?

The trip average I quoted for the 2 x 110 km is from My T, so most likely about 5-7% optimistic. The trip history which is my normal info screen was showing 4,4l/100. I cleared it today.

Today's combined out and back run (2 x 20 km +/-) gave me 3,6l/100. This is on twisty country road with about 200 metres altitude difference (4,9l/100 going out/up and 2,3l/100 coming in/down). The on board computer showed me 3,6l/100 too.

In the manual, it looks as if I can set this average per trip, per fill up or overall. I can't see it when I search in the menus. Am I missing something ?

As I said, I know what difference it can make driving in winter conditions, but not to the extent of about 20 mpg

It's one of those things you learn in over 50yrs of driving

I suspect the different readings are due to the computer reset during the recall update.

I have reset the trip a number of times and it quickly falls to the lower setting.

• Like 1

It does seem hybrids get hit particularly hard by the cold, even more so than diesels. Part of the problem is the engine isn't running all the time and can cool down out of its optimal operating temperature quite quickly, esp. if heat is being sucked out of it to heat the cabin. The engine produces diesel-levels of waste heat when running in Miller/Atkinson mode so there's barely enough to heat the cabin and keep the engine warm unless it's given many beans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

In the manual, it looks as if I can set this average per trip, per fill up or overall. I can't see it when I search in the menus. Am I missing something ?

C8422AC1-79ED-4A47-95A0-3AB950CBEB4A.thumb.png.10fc41137c9b308a960c659c816c75dd.png

8E627033-8661-4CC9-9A93-3755A8D96061.jpeg

In the cold it’s normal to see how temperature is dropping when driving in town and if you use the heater which I do all the time, in general my car dashboard mpg matches real world consumption very accurately, but I do drive a lot and on longer trips therefore the car ecu has time to settle correctly. Not sure because of the 99 petrol that I switched to recently but this winter my car is more efficient than previous winters and except the fuel nothing else has changed, perhaps the tyres are little bit worn out now but I don’t think that can affect fuel consumption by much, 52mpg for my last fill up. , on screen and on brim to brim, same garage, same column. 👍

2 hours ago, Graham47 said:

C8422AC1-79ED-4A47-95A0-3AB950CBEB4A.thumb.png.10fc41137c9b308a960c659c816c75dd.png

8E627033-8661-4CC9-9A93-3755A8D96061.jpeg

Yes, I read that, but when I go through the settings in the menu, I just don't see how it's done !