Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update Yaris Hybrid MPG

Bernard Foy

On 1/15/2022 at 10:39 PM, Cyker said:

Ooh ooh I know! Because he has a gentle right foot! :laugh: 

Yeah, that's it. And i find the engine temperature drops more with Eco mode. I might go back to it when the weather has warmed up a bit though

I filled the tank up the other day and made a note of the mileage. So I will do a more accurate test.

The only problem being that it'll probably be the summer before I need to buy more fuel.  😁

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

I filled the tank up the other day and made a note of the mileage. So I will do a more accurate test.

The only problem being that it'll probably be the summer before I need to buy more fuel.  😁

😃 Alan you necessarily need to drive the car until the tank is near empty, drive until half way down and refill, should be enough to give you average mpg. I never use the car tech to calculate accuracy of mpg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 11:43 PM, Bernard Foy said:

😃 Alan you necessarily need to drive the car until the tank is near empty, drive until half way down and refill, should be enough to give you average mpg. I never use the car tech to calculate accuracy of mpg.

Yes, see my previous post 😄

The indicated mileage (Yes I know it's not accurate) has now returned to the mid 60's mpg.

Probably due to two things. The weather being milder, and inflating the tyres a few more PSI

As mentioned above, I do know how to accurately test to see what the actual MPG is.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Cyker said:

Say, are you lot resetting the mpg figure (e.g. by tapping on the trip information history and hitting Update) when you fill up or just letting it run continuously?

Also, my not-using-the-heater tactic is paying off - Half-way through this tank of fuel, currently 72.3mpg :biggrin: 

I think what I'm saving in petrol is costing me in coats, gloves, hats and hot drinks tho'... :unsure: :laugh: 

I've also cleaned what appears to be about 15 metric tons of guck out of the wheel arches (How do they hold so much dirt against gravity?!?!?) so I feel that may be helping too :laugh: 

"are you lot resetting the mpg figure (e.g. by tapping on the trip information history and hitting Update) when you fill up or just letting it run continuously?! When I got the car at first it was showing 78 mpg 😁, I then did a reset and now it shows 64.7 mpg  😞. So from now on I will leave along, just to make myself feel better, even if it doesn't make a difference.

• Haha 3

Update on my new Yaris Hybrid, collection date confirmed for 11.30am Monday 7th February, roll on the weekend 🚘

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 1/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, mrpj1 said:

I would be personally disappointed with 47.5mpg for a Hybrid, colder weather or not.

Me too. I own a 1.8 Corolla Excel and I've never known it drop below 50 mpg. In fact it rarely drops much below 60 mpg.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Me too. I own a 1.8 Corolla Excel and I've never known it drop below 50 mpg. In fact it rarely drops much below 60 mpg.

I’m not, because most of my runs are to the golf club and back 1and1/4 miles each way and hilly ground. Ice never gets warmed up, and I’m driving as economically as possible. In the warmer temperatures it’s much better mpg. I also live in the north west of Ireland on average it’s almost always a couple of degrees Cel below Northampton.

4 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I’m not, because most of my runs are to the golf club and back 1and1/4 miles each way and hilly ground. Ice never gets warmed up, and I’m driving as economically as possible. In the warmer temperatures it’s much better mpg. I also live in the north west of Ireland on average it’s almost always a couple of degrees Cel below Northampton.

Ok Andrue, I’ve looked up the average winter temperatures where you and I live and not much difference in them, so it must be the journeys and the hilly terrain and the fact that the ice hardly ever gets to properly get hotted up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I’m not, because most of my runs are to the golf club and back 1and1/4 miles each way and hilly ground. Ice never gets warmed up, and I’m driving as economically as possible.

I do runs like that, and when I do I keep the heating/demister etc off as much as possible. Which is a lot easier around my way, where it hasn't rained in 6 weeks ! I'm thinking that if it doesn't rain for 6 minutes round your way, that's a dry spell 😉 !

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I do runs like that, and when I do I keep the heating/demister etc off as much as possible. Which is a lot easier around my way, where it hasn't rained in 6 weeks ! I'm thinking that if it doesn't rain for 6 minutes round your way, that's a dry spell 😉 !

I suppose I could turn off the air con, turn off the fan, and carry a demisting cloth to keep the windscreen and windows clear. Wear an overcoat and woolly hat😝

15 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I suppose I could turn off the air con, turn off the fan, and carry a demisting cloth to keep the windscreen and windows clear. Wear an overcoat and woolly hat😝

Or even go the (very) long way round to the Golf Club !
That should get the heat up and hopefully improve the consumption……..

But the same question applies, WHY ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Or even go the (very) long way round to the Golf Club !
That should get the heat up and hopefully improve the consumption……..

But the same question applies, WHY ?

Best mpg I’ve had is 73.4mpg on a long round trip of 320 miles of mixed A roads, motorway, and city driving with some hills, that was last September. So given the right conditions both the car and the driver are capable of high mpg.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Yes, that's about the size of it, ask @Cyker. It makes a big difference on the very short trips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Ok Andrue, I’ve looked up the average winter temperatures where you and I live and not much difference in them, so it must be the journeys and the hilly terrain and the fact that the ice hardly ever gets to properly get hotted up.

Could be, yes.

You sound like me - since work from home started, home <-> golf course is all I'm doing and all I'm likely to do from now on. But we don't have much in the way of hills here (or rain!) and a lot of the courses I go to are a 20 minute trip or more. Even my own club is ten minutes drive and most of that the open road.

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

Yes, that's about the size of it, ask @Cyker. It makes a big difference on the very short trips.

In consumption per mile yes, but in consumption per trip not a lot 😁

53 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

In consumption per mile yes, but in consumption per trip not a lot 😁

Yes, I see what you are saying, like going from 3 thimble full to 1 thimble full on a 1 mile trip. Doesn't look like much, but if it's all you ever do then instead of going to the petrol station once every month you'll go once every three months 😉 !

• Like 1

The Yaris MK4 is brillianly economical. Had many journeys with 70 plus mpg, some with 80 plus mpg.

Obviously it takes a hit with the cold weather. i was dissappointed today, did a 100 mile round trip split into two halves, was conscious that the engine was coming on more than in milder and less windy conditions.

Still got 64 indicated mpg for the whole trip. So i was dissapointed with that, but it's actually really rather impressive.

• Like 2

Outdoor temperature around 0
Heated mirrors and rear window
Heated car seats
Air conditioning
64 MPG at this time of year?
Very good !

• Like 3

At temperatures of 0 degC I would not be keeping heated mirrors, heated rear window, heated seats on, no need always to be on. Air con yes.

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

At temperatures of 0 degC I would not be keeping heated mirrors, heated rear window, heated seats on, no need always to be on. Air con yes.

I think that the rear window & mirror heater switch off on their own, I cannot comment too much on the Yaris heated seats, but the Astra I had the seat heaters stayed on until switched off.

Toyota heated seats are manual. Must admit they are nice to have. 

Not sure about the steering wheel though 😉

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Toyota heated seats are manual. Must admit they are nice to have. 

Not sure about the steering wheel though 😉

Heated seats are great. I wish I had a heated steering wheel.

Had our Yaris since the end of September & it has been driven mainly on non town use. On brim to brim calculations 58.7 mpg. Happy with that. Be interesting to compare with Corolla we have on order to replace leased Skoda Octavia 1.0 115ps.