Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update Yaris Hybrid MPG

Bernard Foy

Hi guys & gals, for latest update see other post, (delivery dates)

1 minute ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi guys & gals, for latest update see other post, (delivery dates)

Sorry that should read (What delivery delays)

• 2 months later...

Hi folks the latest update on Yaris Hybrid MPG. The car was purchased on 7/2/2022, and the first mileage check was 53 MPG. So I have filled her again this evening and the check revealed 65.46MPG, which is pretty good as the weather in March was extremely cold the journeys mostly very short runs. Total mileage on the car is 676 miles. So I’m ever so pleased with that.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Further update on Yaris Hybrid MPG, on the most recent check on mpg the Yaris Hybrid churned out 71.45mpg. Considering it was a mixture of short and long runs on twisting hilly roads in Donegal and Mayo and fully loaded for over half of the mileage covered, really pleased with that. So I’m sure I’ll get a little bit more mpg as the weather warms up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My last tank gave 3,66l/100km (78 mpg) and the one before gave 3,88l/100km (73 mpg). The last tank was E5 (98RON) and the previous, IIRC was E10 (95RON). Today I filled with E5 (95RON) and it was cheaper than the E10 ! Surely, because it's less used around here.

I've just started watching a documentary about the "smokescreen" of bio fuels. I haven't yet watched it all, but there was a sequence that showed a huge grain carrying ship unloading a cargo of ra-peseed grains into trucks to be taken to a "Biofuel" plant to be transformed into Biodiesel, using coal as the energy source. 

Where did that ship come from ? Australia, to be transformed in France. Another nicety, the ra-peseed is GMO, and growing GMO ra-peseed is banned in France, but the when unloading the grains get blown away by the wind and grow almost anywhere. Doesn't sound very envirommentaly friendly, does it ? 

• Like 3

Ugh that annoys me. IMHO biodiesel should be made from waste oil, not new oil! So stupid! Especially when we're supposedly having a shortage of normal cooking oils because a lot of it was grown in Ukraine!

I never understood why countries imported and exported so much stuff that could use themselves, and why it was somehow cheaper to do so (Like why is meat from the other side of the world cheaper than it is from Wales?!). I often wonder how much we could cut pollution by using local resources more instead shipping and flying stuff around the world.

In more depressing news, I was on-par for an 80+ tank but threw it away by absolutely caning it up and down the M1 :naughty: to gather up the gang for a movie as we'd not done that in over a year! Dropped it down to 71mpg by the fillup. Must try harder!

(Funnily enough we saw Sonic 2 - I have mixed feelings as it is at the same time a 2/10 movie and a 8/10 movie - There were some really good parts, esp. to a fan of the Sonic games, but also some painfully cringy parts. Like the comedy wedding and dance off parts... Overall tho' quite a fun family film,  I- Ooops I can almost feel frosty giving me dirty looks for going off topic again...!)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

n more depressing news, I was on-par for an 80+ tank but threw it away by absolutely caning it up and down the M1 :naughty: to gather up the gang for a movie as we'd not done that in over a year! Dropped it down to 71mpg by the fillup. Must try harder!

🤣 Nice one !

I haven't yet got to 80+, best I've done is 3,56l/100 (79+ mpg), that was in March going from 500 metres to sea level, and then pootling around on sea level country roads. I am beginning to think that sea level motoring gives better mpg than higher altitude motoring.

• Like 1

Cyker, different costs are simply down to cost of production and also clever marketing. 

Low wage economies, or economies of scale give Australasia a competitive advantage.  Clever marketing sustains the Welsh lamb farmers though they argue they make no money. 

In Cyprus, before it joined the EU, you could buy superb Australian beef otherwise unobtainable in the EU. 

In the military in 1990, and only 8 years after the Falklands, the caterers had Argentinian beef. 

Toyota exploits economy of scale though diverse manufacturing, ie Corolla in Derbyshire, Yaris in France etc. Then political trade agreements distort that too. 

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Clever marketing sustains the Welsh lamb farmers though they argue they make no money. 

Land rents can make farming difficult, and as you say economies of scale, such as a cattle ranch in Australia or the USA, etc.

Going back to "bio" fuels and farming, I watched the documentary, I mentioned above, to the end. To keep things simple

• Everything starts as a good idea, like transforming animal waste and excess grain, or whatever, into methane, or liquefied gas that can be used to, say, fuel trucks.
  • The problems begin, when, for example, a farmer who has a dairy herd finds he/she can make more from cow excrement than they can from the milk that they could produce. What's more, they can get a guaranteed for 15 years liveable price for gas, whereas they will often be forced to sell milk at below production costs.
  • Another great idea is recycling cooking oils and fats from restaurants, except it is open to fraudulent introduction of GMO products and/or Palm oils, because the tracking and tracing is lax to say the least. Such fraud gave Total Energies (France) a 24M€ import duty bill, because they had beed deceived on the origin and content of an imported "cooking" oil shipment.
  • Is it such a great idea to import used "cooking" oil from say China ?

Nothing is simple, is it ? A last thought, when everybody goes electric what's going to happen ?

From the comments on this topic, it’s clear that subtle changes in temperatures and types of roads the Yaris Hybrid is driven on and the manner it’s driven in, has a major influence on the mpg achieved. Goes to show also the accuracy of the modern technology that is incorporated in the Yaris Hybrid.👏👏🚗.

• Like 1

I do wonder how much difference the 15" rims make over the 17" ones too; The blurb I have reckons there is a 3mpg loss going from Icon/Design to Dynamic/Excel, and I suspect a lot of that is the 16->17" rims.

It also helps that my journey is very favourable to the hybrid system, as after a short run to get out of my road I'm very quickly onto an A-road where the engine can get up to temp quite quickly, then the rest is bouncing from site to site in traffic where the warmed engine can have a good sleep most of the time while MG2 does almost all the work!

• Like 2

On 5/4/2022 at 3:40 PM, Stopeter44 said:

My last tank gave 3,66l/100km (78 mpg) and the one before gave 3,88l/100km (73 mpg). The last tank was E5 (98RON) and the previous, IIRC was E10 (95RON). Today I filled with E5 (95RON) and it was cheaper than the E10 ! Surely, because it's less used around here.

I wonder if the E5 is worth it because I found that when I filled up with E5 in my Auris, I actually got better MPG than the E10.  Although E5 is more expensive and I don't know how to work out the cost per MPG for both E5 & E10, my gut feeling tells me that E5 is better for value.

In terms of the MK4 Yaris which I have a new one on order and have never owned a Yaris before, I was wondering to use E5 for the new Yaris. 

Generally E5 will work better on older engines as they were designed to run on it or E0, but on newer engines designed to run on E10 the difference is much less and even more so on hybrids; I literally can't tell the difference between Shell V-Power E5 and Morrisons E10 in my Mk4!

I know TonyHSD has a very different experience in his Auris as he finds the E10 much harsher sounding and less peppy than E5, and it must be quite noticeable to be felt through the HSD! But the engine in the Auris was designed to run on E5 so it makes some sense it wouldn't like E10 as much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Generally E5 will work better on older engines as they were designed to run on it or E0, but on newer engines designed to run on E10 the difference is much less and even more so on hybrids; I literally can't tell the difference between Shell V-Power E5 and Morrisons E10 in my Mk4!

I know TonyHSD has a very different experience in his Auris as he finds the E10 much harsher sounding and less peppy than E5, and it must be quite noticeable to be felt through the HSD! But the engine in the Auris was designed to run on E5 so it makes some sense it wouldn't like E10 as much.

Tony’s Auris is hsd T , with turbo 😂👍 

Joking 🙃 

I am using exclusively E10 now second month and no problems at all. When filled up at my local bp the engine sounds almost as good as is with E5 from Tesco. Found also a Shell nearby that has a good quality fuel at good prices. E5 in general is better fuel but can’t justify 15-20p difference. If e5 available at price similar to e10 then it’s the best option but if not E10 is ok. Most importantly though is to find a garage that has a good quality fuels, because not all garages ohms the same fuel and the car behaves differently. When my local Tesco garage is open I am definitely going to use their e5, they are changing the fuel tanks so should be nice and clean fuel ️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find I get similar consumption with both. I've done the last 4 fill ups with E10 and am happy with the performance.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention 72mpg no joke , when going from my town to north London. Now second time , should take a picture next time. After refill 59.1mpg real, but the trip computer shows 57.8mpg. Back in the days I was doing same with my Prius in London on  night driving, beating up Toyota official figures for fuel consumption. 

5 hours ago, ParisYaris said:

Although E5 is more expensive and I don't know how to work out the cost per MPG for both E5 & E10, my gut feeling tells me that E5 is better for value.

There are other factors, but I found some info that suggested that E5 had approx. 4% more "energy" in it than E10. Based on that, if the price difference is < 4%, then E5 would give you more miles per penny. Maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big_D said:

I find I get similar consumption with both. I've done the last 4 fill ups with E10 and am happy with the performance.

What mpg you are averaging with E10? 

Averaged 58.19 mpg 

This is actual mpg, rather than car mpg 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Averaged 58.19 mpg 

This is actual mpg, rather than car mpg 

That is very impressive! No need to go for 1.8l for you Bob with the economy you are getting!

• Like 1

I absolutely love my 2.0. It may be that I have a light right foot.

• Like 2

Refilled with E10 today, 63.5 mpg over the last 332 miles, a mix of shopping trips and longer runs on the A55. It includes a fair bit of hill climbing as well. Shame the cost per litre is going up at the same time as the ambient temperature.

• Like 2

I know! Isn't it supposed to be going down now?? Just went up another penny over here!