Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

Wow that's really good... our dealer wanted over double that for my dad's Verso!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Even if I had a full-sized spare, I wouldn't cycle it in and out regularly with the rest of the tyres - I don't see how I'd be able to do that without ending up with tyres with all different tread depths! Having the lighter spacesaver makes more sense for me, esp. with how sensitive cars are to weight as they get into the higher mpgs.

Yes, and if you never rotate the tyres, then it's very difficult getting the rim off the hub. I had the problem of a flat tyre, a while back. I had to call roadside assistance. I couldn't budge the rim off the hub. So, even though I had a full size spare, It was of little use to me. Of course once it was on the car I could drive around it until suitable new tyres were sourced.

I'm wondering if I should be using that anecdote as a warning to myself (belt & braces, etc.) ?

Rotation with the spare indeed will have uneven treads. But when you lose a running tyre do you always buy two new ones? 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Rotation with the spare indeed will have uneven treads. But when you lose a running tyre do you always buy two new ones? 

That’s a good question 👌 I personally may even buy all 4 new tyres if I loose a running one and have to replace it with new if current  tyres are more than a half worn out, in 2020 I hit a large pothole on the motorway and damage the rim and the tyre went, but they were relatively new so ended up replacing only one tyre, luckily I had summer tyres in storage and so just mounted one summer and drove the car for 5 days like that until my new winter arrived from Germany. Spare tyre same size and make usually suitable for rugged vehicles like 4x4’s that often get abused on dirty roads and tracks where having to change tyres is as often as we use to top up a screen wash, in all other cases in town use space saver and repair strips can do the job perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

Tony, exactly. It all depends on your driving profile.  At 12,000 miles per year I would hope for less than 50% wear in year one.  In terms of driving days the majority are local running though home to tyre shop is 8 miles. 

However we do at least one journey per month of more than 150 miles in a day.  Frequently we may travel on a weekend or the evening. I would rather a full size spare over a space saver. 

That said, for the last 7 years I have had a space saver and last used it on a Sunday to get the nearest KwikFit that had my tyre spec in stock.  It was 25 miles away (in the wrong direction) and we lost a whole day.  I did replace two tyres. 

That prompts another question, at what point do you opt for a new tyre over a repair?  Personally I think about 4mm wear. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Collected my Corolla hybrid Icon tech the other day and noticed the boot space of the car was smaller than I had ordered due to the spare wheel coming with the car. The centre seem to have messed up my order but upon querying with them they said the issue was solvable - does anyone know how they would remove the spare wheel space and convert that into a larger boot space? Is that doable to the extent it would be the same as if the car had been ordered correctly (with the larger boot space) I’m going there next week to see what they can do but if anyone knows about this issue, I’d be keen to hear from them… 

Might help to know whether it is a 1.8 or 2.0.

If the car is NOT what you ordered, and I presume you signed some documentation, reject it. That means you would have to stop driving it and hand it back.

FB’s comment is very relevant.  The boot area in a 2.0 could be different to the 1.8. Particularly the position of the 12v Battery could make a difference, it could be in the boot of one mobile and under the bonnet in the other model.

Sid, I got a 1. 8 and the spare wheel.  I have no recollection of ordering in but might have talked about the relative merits of spare wheel and repair kit.  As it happens I was very pleased. 

The boot floor is higher which gives a flat load area when the seats are folded, again perfect for our dog carrier. There is still plenty of space for odds and ends on the spare wheel. 

The boot floor rests on large formed polystyrene sections that house the tools. They would be easy enough to remove.  What I have not looked at is the potential for then refitting boot floor lower down. 

Don't reject that spare wheel too soon. 

RE-Reading your post, get them to lower the floor for you but keep the spare wheel and kit.  You can refit at a later date. Buy a repair kit if you want.  At least two of my punctures have occurred at  home so I still used me space saver. 

• Like 2

Just checked my boot.  If I remove the polystyrene formers I could lower the boot floor by a few inches and it would rest on the space saver wheel. 

If I removed the wheel as well the floor would now engage with identical mouldings at the lower level. 

If you genuinely need a deeper boot and have somewhere to store the Space Saver kit I suggest you do that and buy an inflation kit*.  Before making up your mind I suggest you discuss the options with your dealer. 

*despite having a space saver I also have an inflator.  Useful as a routine and possibly able to top up if I have a slow puncture rather than a wheel change. 

• Like 2

I think the spare wheel set and raised floor in Corolla hatchback is the most useful extra that can be added just because that level floor when seats are folded down, you can literally make a bedroom, or small van for transport of large items. 👍

• Like 1

War Story. 

Catching the ferry from Portsmouth to Cherburg.  I topped in with fuel at the service area on on the M3.  Somewhere I picked up a piece of metal the size of an arrow head. 

By the time we reached the ferry terminal the tyre was flat.  I git through the check-in and did a rapid unload of the boot and a wheel change.  With an inflation kit we would have missed the ferry. With roadside rescue we would have missed the ferry. 

• Like 6

Most people would prefer a new car with a spare wheel these days. The inflation kit normally supplied is rubbish. Keep the spare wheel for piece of mind if nothing else.

• Like 3

Can’t remember last time I changed a wheel at home never mind out on the road. And if you got a spare wheel what’s the point of storing it in your garage/shed?       
Last picture I had was about 8 years ago, it was a slow puncture noticed whilst I was out and about, managed to get to my local garage.          
In reality, I don’t think I would be too bothered not having a spare in the boot.

The last puncture I had was caused by a severe pothole strike which tore the sidewall. Fortunately I had the foresight to buy a spare wheel, jack etc and keep them under the floor. I was on the move again in less than 15 minutes. The TRK is only good for simple punctures - and a total waste of time if you need to get somewhere on a deadline (which I often do). A spare wheel is the solution for me any day of the week. But as always, it’s horses for courses. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Can’t remember last time I changed a wheel at home never mind out on the road. And if you got a spare wheel what’s the point of storing it in your garage/shed?       
Last picture I had was about 8 years ago, it was a slow puncture noticed whilst I was out and about, managed to get to my local garage.          
In reality, I don’t think I would be too bothered not having a spare in the boot.

I was thinking the same previously but the roads in uk currently are in they poorest condition ever and no wonder with that unnecessarily huge amount of salt and grit everyday in winter and millions of vehicles., having a spare tyre can be a life saver. I have in my boot spare tyre space saver, compressor, a can of sealant, and the magical puncture repair strips that many doesn’t like but I am confident I can complete my journey without need of any help in case of puncture issues. 

• Like 2

The thing about a spare is it's like a backup with computers - It's an extra cost, and all being good you should never have to use it, so it seems like a waste of money, but on that one-in-a-million occurrence where you do need it it's invaluable.

There are so many stories in industry where a new bean counter comes in and cuts out the backup system to save costs, patting themselves on the back for an easy saving they can boast to their boss about, and then later on have a system failure which costs them far more than not having the backup saved them.

With the spare it's not so critical if e.g. you are not under any time pressure and have breakdown recovery, as you can just get towed, but in cases where having to wait potentially over an hour to be recovered is going to affect your livelihood, the spare is just that extra reassurance!

Although you also need to know *how* to change the tyre for it to be useful! :laugh: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

With the spare it's not so critical if e.g. you are not under any time pressure and have breakdown recovery, as you can just get towed, but in cases where having to wait potentially over an hour to be recovered is going to affect your livelihood, the spare is just that extra reassurance!

Although you also need to know *how* to change the tyre for it to be useful! :laugh: 

The only time I went to use the spare on the 208, my Yaris doesn't have a spare, I couldn't get the rim of the hub! So had to call the breakdown service. OTOH, it did mean I could drive the car comfortably for a few days whilst new tyres arrived.

• 2 months later...

Can I fit a space saver wheel in a 2019 Còrola 

On 7/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, Korgrocker said:

I've just taken delivery of a 2019 Corolla Design 1.8 Hybrid TRK. TRK indeed! The dealer suggested that if I couldn't use the useless tyre repair kit, I instead use the breakdown cover if I have a puncture but in rural Scotland that could be a very long wait for a repair. I was quoted silly money from the dealer for a space saver steel wheel so I found the wheel geometry somewhere and it's the same as an Auris Space saver. So I purchased the Auris one and it fits both the wheel studs and under the boot floor. I placed the order on Friday at 4pm and delivered via DHL the following Tuesday.

Purchased from The Wheel Shop. https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/toyota-auris-space-saver-spare-wheel-17-and-tool-kit.html

Don't forget you'll need the retaining bolt.

IMG_1410.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stanley Mortimer said:

Not sure about your question, but I wouldn't recommend having your address in your profile.
Your first name is showing as your address.

10 hours ago, Stanley Mortimer said:

What model, Hatchback, Touring sport or Saloon & what engine 1.2t, 1.8 Hybrid or 2.0 hybrid?

• 4 weeks later...

I know there has been a lot written and a lot of opinions but today I took the plunge and converted my HB boot to hold a spare wheel. I collected the parts mainly online, genuine brand new, but also had some pleasant surprises with main dealer prices. A couple of parts I obtained were second hand, only to discover that I could have bought new for not much more.

This is a list of parts I used:-

64997-02120 box, deck floor, LH   £7.99

64995-02060 box, deck floor, RH   £6.99

6472610020C2 clip for deck floor box (x2)  £2

These are the parts that hold the jack, wheel brace etc

64730-02290C1 Panel assembly, deck trim side, RH £39

64740-02280C1 Panel assembly, deck trim side, LH £39

These are the actual side trims in the boot

58410-02060 board assembly, deck   £99.99

This is the top, deck floor.

64716-02170 Cover, deck trim, rear spare wheel lock trim   £17 (really and genuine Toyota!)

This is the plastic trim that goes at the front of the boot near the rear bumper .. it is shaped differently from the non spare wheel version, several members have mentioned ‘a bit of trim in the way preventing the wheel to go in the well.’ It also has 2 holes that the ‘box, deck floor’ attach to.

6407002020C1 (box assembly, deck floor, front)   £28.79 second hand eBay

90119-W0037 box assembly, deck floor, front bolt / washer (x2)  £2

This fits at the back of the boot by the back seats, the deck floor attaches to it.

58331-02170 Bracket, luggage compartment trim no1 (online £4.99)

58332-02120 Bracket, luggage compartment trim no2 (dealer £4.28 inc vat)

These are 2 brackets that fit behind the boot side panels, they secure the top of the ‘box assembly, deck floor, front’

6474302050C0 (board, deck trim side, lower R/H)

6474402060C0 (board, deck trim side, lower L/H)   £21.59 pair second hand eBay (subsequently discovered I could have bought new for practically the same price)

These attach to the sides of the boot trim.

58415-02060-C0 (board, rear floor, no1)   dealer £10.08 inc vat

A piece of carpet/ trim that goes on top of ‘box assembly, deck floor, front’

5193102320  Toyota Corolla Hatchback Spare Wheel Carrier Screw 2019 –  £1

Total cost £284.70, plus various postage, around £300.

Forgot to mention .. 1.8 HB, no option of spare wheel.

Edited by 50p
missed a bit
  • Like 3

I think they offer now spare as option when order new. This is perhaps one of the best extras as it makes the floor level with the seats folded and the car becomes like a little estate , very handy for ikea trips 👌👍

• Like 2

It is a no cost option on the 1.8 Design. Emissions go up by 1g and there is the loss of boot space.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kental said:

It is a no cost option on the 1.8 Design. Emissions go up by 1g and there is the loss of boot space.

I have an Excel so no option available .. unless that has changed now with the latest version?

Edited by 50p
spelling mistake