Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 Prime charging questions.

Hi Proof

The wife and I plan this February to purchase a 2022 RAV4 Prime XSE with the premium package. I know zip about electric charging and need to find some answers before we take delivery of said vehicle. I understand that the package is equipped with a 6.6kw charge system. I have 220 volts in my garage so I plan on purchasing an appropriate charger. My son however who lives 2 states away only has 110 volts in his garage and my question is can the 110 volts be used to recharge the RAV4 Prime at considerably more time? If so do I need buy a 220 volt charger for my home and a 110 volt charger for travel to son’s home? I have asked this question elsewhere and no one seems to know the answer..

Also is there some kind of safety interlock within the car itself to prevent you from forgetting the charger is connected and accidentally driving off damaging the vehicles as well as the charger?

Thanks to all that reply. 

Don't know about 110v, most on here are in the UK.

The UK PHEV will not drive while the charging port door is open.

There is a safety lock when using the UK 240v charger once the power is applied so I'd guess that would be the same in the US but the fast charger does not set the safety lock.  The MyT app sets the schedule for the slow 240 v charging.

There are plenty of US forums that cover this as well as YouTube videos so you'd get more appropriate informations relating to your situation there. Many I've seen opt for the 220V systems as it really does speed the charging.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

There is a safety lock when using the UK 240v charger once the power is applied so I'd guess that would be the same in the US but the fast charger does not set the safety lock.  The MyT app sets the schedule for the slow 240 v charging.

There are plenty of US forums that cover this as well as YouTube videos so you'd get more appropriate informations relating to your situation there. Many I've seen opt for the 220V systems as it really does speed the charging.

I might have confused you in a previous post Ernie. The plug does lock in the port with a fast charger. It is only if the schedule is set on the charger rather that the car and it will only lock when current is applied. The 3 pin would behave the same if you had it on a plug timer.

Either way, you can't drive the car away with a plug inserted, the interlock is on the flap rather than the plug. I tried it because I was concerned originally that if the plug wasn't locked in I might forget and drive off connected. All was good.

2 hours ago, nlee said:

I might have confused you in a previous post Ernie. The plug does lock in the port with a fast charger. It is only if the schedule is set on the charger rather that the car and it will only lock when current is applied. The 3 pin would behave the same if you had it on a plug timer.

Either way, you can't drive the car away with a plug inserted, the interlock is on the flap rather than the plug. I tried it because I was concerned originally that if the plug wasn't locked in I might forget and drive off connected. All was good.

Thanks that’s clarified the issue.

the original poster would be better looking at RAV4WORLD forum as it’s essentially US/Canadian based.

33 minutes ago, ernieb said:

the original poster would be better looking at RAV4WORLD forum as it’s essentially US/Canadian based

Ah, but where's the fun in that? 🙂

It would appear that one can buy a level 1 charger - 110V, 15A - capable of delivering 1.8kW and thus charging a PHEV in around 10 hours.

Equally, one could buy a level 2 charger - 240V, 16A - capable of delivering 3.8kW and thus charging a PHEV in around 5 hours.

You can even get dual voltage devices that combine the function of both, as well as higher current solutions assuming that the domestic wiring can cope! It looks 'fun' in the US!!! 😉

He's probably best off waiting until he gets the car, seeing what is supplied with it and then looking to purchase anything else that is deemed necessary - but he is basically correct in his understanding