Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All weather tyre recommendations for PHEV

Flatcoat

I took delivery of my PHEV around 10 days ago and not impressed with the Yokohama tyres. Any experiences of an upgrade?

I'm very happy with Michelin Cross Climates ... but even I am getting bored with the number of times I've said so ... 😁

• Haha 1

Thanks! The Michelin is already on my radar although some reviews are not that great. I suspect some cars suit it better than others. The tyre fitted as OEM by Toyota is impossible to find reviews for. However it is or was also used by Subaru and on forums gets a slating for poor performance. There is an Avid Ascend GT version of the tyres which is much better. Unfortunately Toyota fit the standard Avid GT.  

In reviews, the Michelin Cross Climate 2 (which I just bought for my Corolla TS) are rated notably better than the original Michelin Cross Climate.

If anyone looking for all weather all season tyres look for those with V shaped thread patterns, exactly the ones like Michelin Cross climate 2, Goodyear Vectro 4 season 3, Vredestein Quatrac, these are capable in snow and ice, the others all season American style are not really. 

Can we ask what it is you're not impressed with? I noted there wasn't much on the web about these tyres or availability which is a concern if I need to replace just one or two because strictly speaking they should all be the same tread pattern. Not contacted the dealer to see if they supply the exact same one.

Can't say I've had any issues with the tyres to date. They've been ok in the wet on a bit of muddy grass and some frosty surfaces. Yet to try them in snow though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

Thanks! The Michelin is already on my radar although some reviews are not that great.

That's the problem with 'reviews' ... Cross Climates are great tyres - they are really very good and always have been; they haven't 'gone off' over the years Michelin have been making them. Now that many other tyre manufacturers are copying them following Michelin's lead there certainly are other brands that do as well if not better in the head-to-head tests - and there's no reason at all not to go with the competition. Though I'm prepared to bet that no one who runs on Cross Climates is 'unhappy' with them ... 😉

I’d go for CrossClimates, the RAV size seems to the be the same as the OEM fit for the Volvo.

So far I’ve been happy with the OEM fit Yokohama’s, I’ve not, felt the need to rush out and buy CrossClimates.

• Like 1

Moved away from the Lexus specific Yokohama's on the CT200 a couple of years go and put Michelin CrossClimate on all four corners. Best upgrade I've done to that car.  Great all-round, all-year tyre. Much better, steering feel and a quieter drive compared to the Yokohama's. Good grip in the wet too. Oh, and they're cheaper (not cheap). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nlee said:

Can we ask what it is you're not impressed with? I noted there wasn't much on the web about these tyres or availability which is a concern if I need to replace just one or two because strictly speaking they should all be the same tread pattern. Not contacted the dealer to see if they supply the exact same one.

Can't say I've had any issues with the tyres to date. They've been ok in the wet on a bit of muddy grass and some frosty surfaces. Yet to try them in snow though.

They are not all weather, grip is poor and not convinced the steering responses are as good as they could be. And on the few comments I found they are marketed as an ‘affordable’ tyre, in other words ‘budget’. 

I’ve done nearly 6k since I got the car and have used them in very wet, heavy snow and ice and as I said surprised at how well they performed for an OEM tyre. They were specifically developed from a Yokohama all weather tyre for the RAV PHEV.

As always it’s personal choice, I was prepared to buy new tyres immediately but so far I’m happy to run with the Toyota OEM’s. But when I change it will be for the CrossClimates.

• Like 1

There are some people not happy with cross climate and swap for Goodyear vector, the reason was that the cross climate has ability to get little stones stuck between the threads and then make those knock knock noises when driving, there are videos on you tube from uk explaining exactly that plus in uk it is popular people to have their driveways covered in those little stones (gravels) 👍 There are also some issues with latest cross climates that rubs off some material from  the edges of the tyres , videos from Romania and Audi A8 or A6 owner , don’t remember now. I never run on either of these but they are on the list for next tyre change. 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If anyone looking for all weather all season tyres look for those with V shaped thread patterns, exactly the ones like Michelin Cross climate 2, Goodyear Vectro 4 season 3, Vredestein Quatrac, these are capable in snow and ice ... 

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

There are some people not happy with cross climate and swap for Goodyear vector, the reason was that the cross climate has ability to get little stones stuck between the treads and then make those knock knock noises when driving ...

Yes, gravel does get stuck between the treads but I've never noticed any noises as a result. Importantly, since they all have pretty much exactly the same tread pattern this will be a characteristic common to them all ...

• Like 1

I've had this problem too but I find it sorts itself out after I power slide the Yaris round a few corners.*

* Yes I am joking :laugh: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

I took delivery of my PHEV around 10 days ago and not impressed with the Yokohama tyres. Any experiences of an upgrade?

Thinking about it, are you looking for five tyres so that you have a viable spare wheel for towing? If so, none of the Cross Climate clones will suit - they are all directional tyres so, once mounted on a rim, can go only on one side of the vehicle. This might make your quest more challenging ...

38 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

They are not all weather, grip is poor and not convinced the steering responses are as good as they could be. And on the few comments I found they are marketed as an ‘affordable’ tyre, in other words ‘budget’. 

I was under the impression they are "all season" tyres with mud & snow designation but not the mountain logo required by some European countries for winter driving?

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/description.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+GT&partnum=355VR9AGT

I suppose it depends what you are comparing them with. My Volvo had Bridgestone all weather tyres and they never lost traction on greasy damp roads. Neither did the Kleber all weather tyres i had on previous Audi and VW. These Yoko’s are not remotely an all season tyre. There is another version of the Avid which I beleive is all-weather rated in North America but not Europe.  The chances of getting a spare is looking slim and have already thought about the directional issue. 

Will they improve when fully run-in or are you dead set against them?

30 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Will they improve when fully run-in or are you dead set against them?

Who knows if they will improve? They have had an 80 mile motorway run in amongst other driving in the past week. Will give them another week. However I do need European approved winter or all-weather tyres for next winter so at some point I will be replacing them. If I do it now I will have a set of almost new saleable tyres to dispose of. By the autumn and part worn they may be unsellable. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that link. Looking at various all season tyre reviews in autobild and given how few manufacturers make an all season tyre in the RAV4 size, the top 3 seem to be:

Cross climate 2

Vector 4 season 4th gen

Quatrac 5

Bridgestone and some others are curates eggs….. good in parts. 

... and the Vredestein has the potential advantage of being asymmetric rather than directional should that still be a consideration ...

If you are going to invest in a full size spare then asymmetric would be the better option.

I have also come across Goodyear Wrangler All-weather tyres getting good user reviews, especially for dry grip, low noise and low wear rates. Seem to be fitted as O/E on Discovery’s.