Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All weather tyre recommendations for PHEV

Flatcoat

42 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I have also come across Goodyear Wrangler All-weather tyres getting good user reviews, especially for dry grip, low noise and low wear rates. Seem to be fitted as O/E on Discovery’s. 

... described by Goodyear as a summer tyre and missing the 3PMS certification as far as I can tell ... 

• Like 1

Ah, thanks, I will double check. A bit like the O/E Yokohama on the RAV then….

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, Flatcoat said:

Thanks for that link. Looking at various all season tyre reviews in autobild and given how few manufacturers make an all season tyre in the RAV4 size, the top 3 seem to be:

Cross climate 2

Vector 4 season 4th gen

Quatrac 5

Bridgestone and some others are curates eggs….. good in parts. 

On 1/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, philip42h said:

... and the Vredestein has the potential advantage of being asymmetric rather than directional should that still be a consideration ...

Slightly old thread, so might be moot for you by now, but just picked up my car and similarly looking for others thoughts on the yokohama avid GTs, as it doesn't appear that these are commercially available or reviewed, other than as an oem. 

Like Philip, I'm a big fan of crossclimates, and have put them on my cars for the last 8yrs. In December I put CC2s on my leaf, and did not see any noticeable drop off in electric range or efficiency (if there is an impact, weather/ambient temp must be on a logarithmic scale of difference!), so one would hope this translates to the much larger wheel size, both for HEV mpg & phev efficiency/mpg - this is one major drawback of reading official reviews, eg autobild, as they will head to head test but in a specific size & vehicle only. I'm not expecting them to test more than this, but it means you do need to do you own extrapolation/guesswork as to whether will get similar results. 

Unfortunately, again like Philip & Ernie say, if you want/need a full size spare, eg for towing, your A/S options are limited as vast majority (or at least of the good ones) are directional, particularly the V-shape design. The Quatrac Pro (replaced Quatrac 5) is available in larger wheel sizes, and reviews quite well, albeit drawbacks in testing was poor snow performance (relative to others in test - is considered safe, and miles better than a summer tyre) and rolling resistance. If don't need a non-directional option, then depends how much true snow/ice you're likely to see where you live.

One of main reasons I've been so happy with crossclimates is that for 95% of my driving, they behave like a good summer tyre regardless of ambient temp, and if there is a snap frost/blizzard, the vehicle can be piloted safely (ie I'm not trying to have a daydream about Colin McRae on country back roads), plus this safety in colder temps or icey conditions has stayed reliable even as the tyre has worn down. This latter point is a major flaw in almost all available info on tyre testing, as the pattern that works well in testing with a brand spanking new tyre does not necessarily hold true after 20-30k miles. CCS (and presumably CC2s) may be more expensive than other brands up front, but if they last 10k+ longer than the alternative, plus return marginally better fuel/EV economy, and do the job they're supposed to do for more of their tread depth, I feel they're worth the cost. 

Problem now is justifying to myself that argument holds up to replacing a brand new set of tyres! By sounds of things tho, most ppl have found the Avids to be OK/not a liability this winter? 

(apologies for long post!) 

• Like 1

Mike, I’m sticking with the Avid’s for now and will move to the CrossClimates as and when needed. I’ve been reasonably impressed so far with the OEM Avid’s and have used them in 4”/5” of snow (old money) 100/125mm, and felt they were just fine, it was also very cold so much of the snow was ice.

Like you it’s hard to justify the cost of new rubber when with the current climate the need is hardly needed. 
So for now I’m just enjoying the car and as I’d allocated the cash to buy the tyres when I got the car it’s there if one of the Avid’s fails.

• Thanks 1

My hand was partially forced by a puncture. The tyre was irreparable and new ones unavailable so had to fit 2 tyres and chose Continental all seasons on the rear. The PHEV does not have room for a full size spare so will get a spacesaver at some point. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:08 PM, Flatcoat said:

My hand was partially forced by a puncture. The tyre was irreparable and new ones unavailable so had to fit 2 tyres and chose Continental all seasons on the rear. The PHEV does not have room for a full size spare so will get a spacesaver at some point. 

Buy it before you need it Adrian - you know it makes sense 👍.

Not a PHEV. For 12 years and 120 000 miles I accepted whatever Toyota recommended for my RAV4.3 (never used in mud, ice or snow, just family transport). Finally after researching tyres for my Porsche I put effort into researching for the RAV, and was about to go for Goodyear but then got a great deal on Michelin Pilot Sports. 
For the next few days I knew something had changed but couldn’t work out what. 

Noise. There wasn’t any. We could talk quietly in the car at motorway speeds. 

Fantastic change.