Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... first serious problem encountered

Nick72

Well I knew the bullet proof reliability was too good to be true.

Way home from work just now listening to youtube music via AA, Waze running.

Wanted to listen to Radio 4 on DAB. Selected to change audio source to DAB and silence. Tried a few channels. Silence. Switched to FM and all fine. Switched back DAB. Silence. Tried changing channels again and it would not let me select any stations. Just froze on the channel selections. Switched back to FM. All fine. Switched to AA and fine. Back to DAB and still frozen. 

Did the IT helpdesk thing and restarted the car when I pulled over. All working fine again. Couldn't repeat the problem. 

Does this warrant a letter to the Toyota CEO? Angry that I missed the news.

Anyone had similar?

This can be a minor problem if happens again or became permanent issue , but just because the car lost radio signal for some reason can’t really be a serious problem., a serious problem is when you loose all power and the car goes into neutral N and stops on busy dual carriageway with fast and furious lorries , cars and vans around in rush our plus no hard shoulder to pull over, that is what I call a serious problem, and that happens to few members with brand new Toyota hybrids, I will call your one just a glitch and leave it alone until happens again, then may look for solution or call Toyota or dealer. Sorry I can’t be of any help but I hope you are not that angry anymore that you had missed the news 😉👍

• Like 1

Be happy you do not drive the MG HS PHEV….. regular occurrence. 

• Like 1

I don't think it warrants any angry letters... yet. 

These are computer systems and as such may 'crash' or lock up from time to time. You've done the right thing to note down what you did. Should it happen again, make another note of what you did. Whether you should report this or not is really a matter of frequency and how much it interferes with driving. An in-car system that locks up once a year or less, you can probably live with. But, if it's every other journey, then definitely blow the angry horn. Keep your notes so you can pass them on to Toyota should it be required.

• Like 2

I've had DAB lock up in the last two cars (first one was an aftermarket head unit) and in my wife's car. So a Landover, a JVC head unit and a VW. Only once or twice in each but makes me think it's either a DAB thing or the DAB modules are mass produced in one or two factories. I doubt Toyota produce their own.

I know how frustrating it is though because you can't truly turn a car radio off these days without stopping and turning the ignition off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Does this warrant a letter to the Toyota CEO? Angry that I missed the news.

Not up to the 3008 levels of lack of reliability yet 🤣

Its likely just a firmware bug that will get fixed in the future. 

Remember PSA had major issues with there SMEG based infotainment systems which required a UK specific firmware update when the BBC decided to update there DAB broadcast system. 

• Like 1

I think this can some times happen when the DAB signal is down, service changing a mux etc. I’ve had it in a previous car and kept switching off and on until the signal had been restored and the car locked on. Only time will tell Nick?

• Like 1

Luckily the problem doesn't apply to me, there is no DAB in the country I live in 😅

• Like 2

Why? Is the CEO going to come out and do a firmware update for you? Of course not, he will pass it to customer relations who will pass it to your dealer. So save yourself some time and visit the dealer to see if there is a specific update for you. Count yourself lucky missing the news :crybaby: :crybaby:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Parts-King said:

Why? Is the CEO going to come out and do a firmware update for you? Of course not, he will pass it to customer relations who will pass it to your dealer. So save yourself some time and visit the dealer to see if there is a specific update for you. Count yourself lucky missing the news :crybaby: :crybaby:

Well, to be honest you’re not missing the news it’s the same as the one they pushed out in the morning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

This can be a minor problem if happens again or became permanent issue , but just because the car lost radio signal for some reason can’t really be a serious problem., a serious problem is when you loose all power and the car goes into neutral N and stops on busy dual carriageway with fast and furious lorries , cars and vans around in rush our plus no hard shoulder to pull over, that is what I call a serious problem, and that happens to few members with brand new Toyota hybrids, I will call your one just a glitch and leave it alone until happens again, then may look for solution or call Toyota or dealer. Sorry I can’t be of any help but I hope you are not that angry anymore that you had missed the news 😉👍

Apologies. Comedy on my part with the exaggerated post about contacting the CEO. 😉

Didn't lose radio signal. The software locked up. Software problem. Conflict with AA interrupts suspected. No sound was a symptom not a cause I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick72 said:

Apologies. Comedy on my part with the exaggerated post about contacting the CEO. 😉

Didn't lose radio signal. The software locked up. Software problem. Conflict with AA interrupts suspected. No sound was a symptom not a cause I think.

I picked the joke in the post 100% 😉👌

• Like 3

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Not up to the 3008 levels of lack of reliability yet 🤣

Its likely just a firmware bug that will get fixed in the future. 

Remember PSA had major issues with there SMEG based infotainment systems which required a UK specific firmware update when the BBC decided to update there DAB broadcast system. 

Suspecting it was Android Auto and the interaction or interrupts generated had caused the issue but as you say there could be other causes too. Was stuck on one channel in the end with no others selectable (unresponsive) which made me think it must be Toyota infotainment software.

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I picked the joke in the post 100% 😉👌

Ha ha. I've spent too much time on the American forums I forgot I was in Blighty where we all get sarcasm, irony and satire. When I jokingly suggested the rear camera quality could be improved by adjusting the VHS long play tracking potentiometer most them went on a search for it.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wonder if its similar to the PSA SMEG issue, UK only & only crops up when BBC via DAB is being listened to. 

If you can replicate the fault a 2nd time it would be worth bringing it up with a Toyota dealer so they can raise it with the technical department. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

I think this can some times happen when the DAB signal is down, service changing a mux etc. I’ve had it in a previous car and kept switching off and on until the signal had been restored and the car locked on. Only time will tell Nick?

Never used DAB much so it might just be that Ernie. Bad timing I guess. Was fine after restart. A little like the radar when it was snowing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Sorry I thought the comedy might make for a few laughs... major issues, CEOs etc. 😂

4 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Wonder if its similar to the PSA SMEG issue, UK only & only crops up when BBC via DAB is being listened to. 

If you can replicate the fault a 2nd time it would be worth bringing it up with a Toyota dealer so they can raise it with the technical department. 

Will definitely mention it to them if it happens again and I can correlate it with anything. Wouldn't waste a day though getting the dealer to check it out. Rarely listen to the radio apart from R4 news now and again. But if it helps them to help others I'm all in for letting them know.

Sorry I've been naughty here with the comedy exaggeration of my upset at Toyota for such a minuscule problem. I know what real problems are like with the last car, Peugeot 3008 hybrid4 300GT. They were problems.

Anyways, apologies. Anyone else looking forward to the laser disk upgrade on the RAV4? Passenger parcel shelf is replaced by the disk player. Disk storage pack is available for the boot. Capable of containing at least 6 movies. Supplied with Terminator 2 over 2 discs. Playback is on the 9 inch infotainment display but only when the car is in Park and a passenger is detected in the front passenger seat that is over 45 years old. 

*** I'm joking. Terminator 2. It's on 3 discs.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Nick72 said:

Sorry I've been naughty here with the comedy exaggeration of my upset at Toyota for such a minuscule problem. I know what real problems are like with the last car, Peugeot 3008 hybrid4 300GT. They were problems.

Anyways, apologies. Anyone else looking forward to the laser disk upgrade on the RAV4? Passenger parcel shelf is replaced by the disk player. Disk storage pack is available for the boot. Capable of containing at least 6 movies. Supplied with Terminator 2 over 2 discs. Playback is on the 9 inch infotainment display but only when the car is in Park and a passenger is detected in the front passenger seat that is over 45 years old. 

*** I'm joking. Terminator 2. It's on 3 discs.

Maybe we could do a group purchase and get a discount.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ernieb said:

Maybe we could do a group purchase and get a discount.

When I first joined the US forum I made some of these lighten the mood, bit of fun posts, but the thing is, most of them genuinely believed them. Now I know from experience that some Americans don't get irony and sarcasm but this was a little more than normal. Didn't get the comedy. To be fair some did and thought it funny. I even said there was a coupon available from a famous American chicken dinner ready meal I seemed to recall from time in the states across many trips to many states. Some folk were proper upset they couldn't find the coupons! Had to apologise. I mean, who wants a laser disc from 1997. Although we could guarantee compatibility with Toyota's nuclear hardened 90s semiconductors. 😂

Who knew?

• Haha 1

Any sign of the 8-track system becoming available? 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Any sign of the 8-track system becoming available? 😇

That's on the 2022 RAV. It's in the Premium plus plus package. 

• Haha 2

PK works at a dealer so I think it's not as funny for him as he's probably encountered people who make such complaints before, but actually seriously :laugh: 

And we have had some really self-entitled people on here in the past...! (Usually frosty has to roll out his boiler plate "This is forum is not affiliated with Toyota and Toyota do not read these posts etc." at that point :laugh: )

I do wonder whether the station you're trying to listen to is DAB or DAB+

This government really screwed digital radio by banning DAB+ for many years, before finally allowing some testbed DAB+ transmitter systems.

DAB was a garbage system from the start - It uses narrow channels and rubbish compression so the quality is often worse than FM, and it doesn't even have doppler compensation, so the faster you are moving the more the signal degrades, and it's even worse in built-up areas because it can't handle signal bounce. DAB+ fixes a lot of its flaws, including better compression and doppler compensation, but because of the government initially banning DAB+, it's only really emerged from enthusiast only and filtered into mainstream in the past few years. I'm not sure how many stations have converted to DAB+ or are still using crappy old DAB. I think most vehicles since they changed the car tax do support DAB+ tho'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kucyk said:

Luckily the problem doesn't apply to me, there is no DAB in the country I live in 😅

I'm with 'kucyk' - what's DAB? 😄

• Sad 1