Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris T-spirit 2011 diesel

Mikey-2151

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me i bought this car a couple of weeks ago and I'm having issues with loss of power on any slight incline . Its comes and goes.

I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the maf sensor and I'm still having the same issue.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me i bought this car a couple of weeks ago and I'm having issues with loss of power on any slight incline . Its comes and goes.

I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the maf sensor and I'm still having the same issue.

If you bought it from any type of car sales place, take it back and it’s there responsibility to repair (unless they explained the fault and you accepted it).

Private purchase and you are stuck.

Yes it was a private purchase, do you know what it could be. 😢

Try simple things first:

1. check air filter is not dirty . Replace if so.

2. Any fault codes? Could be low fuel pressure   . That would be  anew fuel pump .-or possibly a blocked fuel filter. The latter would not give fault codes. 

Change fuel filter (don't know this model so? ease)

After that more complex.

But air and fuel filters should be cheap and easy.

Will any codes be picked up if i don't have any lights on the dash?

Also the air filter has been changed as well as the an oil change.

Fuel filter has been done to, whst else could be done to fix this ?

Moved to the Yaris/Yaris Cross club.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Yaris/Yaris Cross club.

How do I do that?

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The clutch is on its way out

The clutch feels fine, that would affect the performance would it?

yes, if it was slipping under load - put is in 3rd or 4th, and try and pull away if it bogs down and tries to stall the clutch if fine if it starts to rev and not move the clutch is slipping

if you are used to petrol cars, try to change down going up hill

51 minutes ago, flash22 said:

yes, if it was slipping under load - put is in 3rd or 4th, and try and pull away if it bogs down and tries to stall the clutch if fine if it starts to rev and not move the clutch is slipping

if you are used to petrol cars, try to change down going up hill

Just tried this and the if I set off in 3rd or 4th its moves and stalls. So I'm guessing the clutch is okay,?

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

yes, the clutch is ok, have you seen if any codes are stored ?

Not as of yet, can diagnostics receive codes when there is no light on the dash?

Yes, some codes don't set the MIL

check the basics, air filter and intake pipe work to and from the intercooler something as simple as a loose clamp can cause a boost leak

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

Yes, some codes don't set the MIL

check the basics, air filter and intake pipe work to and from the intercooler something as simple as a loose clamp can cause a boost leak

Okay thank you,  I will have a look a the pipe work and let you know if there's any lose pipe also  I've changed the air filter so thats not an issue.

Have you bled the fuel filter.?

2 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Have you bled the fuel filter.?

No I haven't, how would I go about doing that and what does it do?

Also had a new fuel filter fitter the other week.

Hello I've got a d4d aswell I'd advise to check the egr valve if it's becoming clogged up that will cause a loss in power and won't show on an engine code always. Has your diesel done many miles? Egr getting clogged on any higher mile diesel can start with the issues you have 

It can be taken out and clean the crud out with a driver not the easiest of jobs to do. have seen new egr valves for around 50 on eBay original Toyota one is silly money. 

6 minutes ago, xav said:

Hello I've got a d4d aswell I'd advise to check the egr valve if it's becoming clogged up that will cause a loss in power and won't show on an engine code always. Has your diesel done many miles? Egr getting clogged on any higher mile diesel can start with the issues you have 

It can be taken out and clean the crud out with a driver not the easiest of jobs to do. have seen new egr valves for around 50 on ebay original Toyota one is silly money. 

It had 100k miles on it. Yes I thought about the egr valve but it did seem like it would be tricky to get to it. So have you ever had this issue?

Have you replace your egr valve?

100k is enough to cause that problem even lower mile cars if just used to drive found town stop start diving etc 

Diesels do need a good long run with higher constant speeds to stay good. 

Flash is right I what he's saying to check 1st but if that's all good then I'd suspect egr valve. 

No I haven't had this problem myself but I've read enough threads where it has been the egr causing the problem( common prob with these cars) 

I know the job can be a bit of a pain to do but if you can't do yourself then might be worth asking a garage for a price to clean it. If you Google 'how to remove mk2 yaris d4d egr valve' then you may find one video I watched and it'll show you just how it comes off and how blocked they get. 

Do you see any smoke on start up or while driving? 

Also bear in mind your car has a dpf filter my 08 d4d does not, and these can clog too but start with egr first. 

Another suggestion I have is run on BP ultimate which has cleaning additives which may help a bit for now but won't fix is egr is blocked up

Hope that helps a bit 

36 minutes ago, xav said:

100k is enough to cause that problem even lower mile cars if just used to drive found town stop start diving etc 

Diesels do need a good long run with higher constant speeds to stay good. 

Flash is right I what he's saying to check 1st but if that's all good then I'd suspect egr valve. 

No I haven't had this problem myself but I've read enough threads where it has been the egr causing the problem( common prob with these cars) 

I know the job can be a bit of a pain to do but if you can't do yourself then might be worth asking a garage for a price to clean it. If you Google 'how to remove mk2 yaris d4d egr valve' then you may find one video I watched and it'll show you just how it comes off and how blocked they get. 

Do you see any smoke on start up or while driving? 

Also bear in mind your car has a dpf filter my 08 d4d does not, and these can clog too but start with egr first. 

Another suggestion I have is run on BP ultimate which has cleaning additives which may help a bit for now but won't fix is egr is blocked up

Hope that helps a bit 

Appreciate your reply thank you, yes maybe the previous owner drove it round town a lot, who knows. 

I currently do 60 mile a day, mainly motorway.

Yes I will look into cleaning my egr valve and look in to looking for that video or any video that is giving me a tutorial on how to remove and clean it. 

Also no there isn't any smoke when I start my engine. Yano since getting my air filter, fuel filter and cleaning the maf sensor, id say it works more often than not working. 

I will also look in to using BP ultimate.

Thanks 

No problem we'll the miles you are doing is good 

Yea you never know how car was driven in the past 

Is the problem you have intermittent, is it just on hills? Or does it happen on motorways aswell? 

How does the car run on tickover is it smooth or lumpy? Because Usually rough at tickover, power loss, smoke and poor mpg are symptoms of a bad egr. 

*In this car you are getting max power at around 3800 rpm not worth going beyond that in revs as torque drops off fast coming from petrol cars it's taken me a while to get used to the car. 

I can't say mine struggles even on steep hills may have to drop to 4th to keep in boost power band 

20 minutes ago, xav said:

No problem we'll the miles you are doing is good 

Yea you never know how car was driven in the past 

Is the problem you have intermittent, is it just on hills? Or does it happen on motorways aswell? 

How does the car run on tickover is it smooth or lumpy? Because Usually rough at tickover, power loss, smoke and poor mpg are symptoms of a bad egr. 

*In this car you are getting max power at around 3800 rpm not worth going beyond that in revs as torque drops off fast coming from petrol cars it's taken me a while to get used to the car. 

I can't say mine struggles even on steep hills may have to drop to 4th to keep in boost power band 

The issue happens on any slight incline wether thats o  the motorway or just up a hill. 

But if I was to get in the car and set off you can tell right away if the problem is there as the car doesn't pull like it would if it was okay.

The car seems to be smooth on tick over, like when its having the issue. It obviously struggles to get up to speed but its still smooth but on small inclines on motorway the speed seems to start dropping unlike when the car is fine and it pulls great. So any steep hill it can fly up no problem but when the problem is there it struggles and speed drops and I have to drop gear and give more rpm which means more mpg so its not great.

Can you hear the distinct turbo whistle while driving? or is it gone when the car has the lack in power? 

Do you have an obd 2 code reader? 

That would help you track a code to a problem. 

If you have problems with something like a boost control valve?  Which I had a nissan diesel and that would cause those same  symptoms aswell (extreme intermittent lack of power) fitted a new boost control valve problem fixed instantly.

If it's not a boost control valve then I still think could be egr valve blocked