Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris T-spirit 2011 diesel

Mikey-2151

EGR valve and turbo throttle body EGR pathway being blocked up with soot are common issues in Mk1 Yaris D4Ds that don't see enough motorway time. I don't know if the Mk2 is similar tho', as it uses a newer version of the 1ND-TV engine.

Could also be guck in the fuel lines, sticky turbo geometry vanes, or a vacuum line leak possibly?

For the first, could try running a can of bg244 or a few tanks of Shell V-Power diesel through it and a good thrash to see if that helps clear out anything.

The other two need more detail to check than I can provide via forum text! :laugh: 

I'm not sure i don't think I really hear anything like that.

And no I've not got a diagnostic tester however I'm probably  going to get a cheap one.

Am I probably  best trying to clea  the egr valve and if I'm still having problems look in to the the boat control valve. Are they expensive to replace?

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

EGR valve and turbo throttle body EGR pathway being blocked up with soot are common issues in Mk1 Yaris D4Ds that don't see enough motorway time. I don't know if the Mk2 is similar tho', as it uses a newer version of the 1ND-TV engine.

Could also be guck in the fuel lines, sticky turbo geometry vanes, or a vacuum line leak possibly?

For the first, could try running a can of bg244 or a few tanks of Shell V-Power diesel through it and a good thrash to see if that helps clear out anything.

The other two need more detail to check than I can provide via forum text! :laugh: 

To the first part will cleaning the gr fix that ?

How do I look for vacuum leaks, also sticky turbo and how do u know of its guck in the fuel lines..??

57 minutes ago, xav said:

Can you hear the distinct turbo whistle while driving? or is it gone when the car has the lack in power? 

Do you have an obd 2 code reader? 

That would help you track a code to a problem. 

If you have problems with something like a boost control valve?  Which I had a nissan diesel and that would cause those same  symptoms aswell (extreme intermittent lack of power) fitted a new boost control valve problem fixed instantly.

If it's not a boost control valve then I still think could be egr valve blocked 

I'm not sure i don't think I really hear anything like that.

And no I've not got a diagnostic tester however I'm probably  going to get a cheap one.

Am I probably  best trying to clea  the egr valve and if I'm still having problems look in to the the boat control valve. Are they expensive to replace?

Well in my d4d I can hear when the turbo spools up and it makes a light whistle sound which is normal for the car. 

You don't need anything fancy obd2 code read wise, mines not expensive 

I'd first read codes, then if nothing shows up then move onto the egr valve 

Boost valve easy to replace shouldn't be any more than 50

Egr brand new off eBay about 50-60 bit harder to do but not impossible just requires egr cooler to be moved to get to it when you open bonnet take off engine cover egr is underneath the cooler clsoe to radiator side of engine 

Watch the video it'll help 

Don't worry I'm sure you will get it sorted all turbo engines wether petrol or diesel are finicky just takes one thing not to be right like sensor or valve and it wo t drive as it should 

21 minutes ago, xav said:

Well in my d4d I can hear when the turbo spools up and it makes a light whistle sound which is normal for the car. 

Egr brand new off ebay about 50-60 bit harder to do but not impossible just requires egr cooler to be moved to get to it when you open bonnet take off engine cover egr is underneath the cooler clsoe to radiator side of engine 

Don't worry I'm sure you will get it sorted all turbo engines wether petrol or diesel are finicky just takes one thing not to be right like sensor or valve and it wo t drive as it should 

Really  appreciate  the feedback ill get a code reader see if there's any codes and take it from there I guess.

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 11:13 PM, xav said:

Egr brand new off ebay about 50-60 bit harder to do but not impossible just requires egr cooler to be moved to get to it when you open bonnet take off engine cover egr is underneath the cooler clsoe to radiator side of engine 

Hi, so I've done a diagnostic and the code thst I found was P2463 and I've googled it and its to do with the dpf, would I be able to clean it and itd be fine or??

It appears cleaning DPF with sprays is very limited.  The one that does work is taking the DPF off the car, literally ope up the DPF, by cutting, clean away the deposits and weld up again. Costly but should work.

The other recognised way is to take the car on a 30 minute blast on the motorway whilst keeping revs up to generate heat in the exhaust system. Temporary fix, needs repeating.

What sort of journeys do you do?  Short ones locally are not good for DPF, they need journeys where the exhaust is kept hot. 

18 minutes ago, Catlover said:

It appears cleaning DPF with sprays is very limited.  The one that does work is taking the DPF off the car, literally ope up the DPF, by cutting, clean away the deposits and weld up again. Costly but should work.

The other recognised way is to take the car on a 30 minute blast on the motorway whilst keeping revs up to generate heat in the exhaust system. Temporary fix, needs repeating.

What sort of journeys do you do?  Short ones locally are not good for DPF, they need journeys where the exhaust is kept hot. 

I drive 60 miles a day mainly motorway and also high revs on the motorway , will that not fix it then ?

Well it should do. Is the car new to you, if so it all depends what has happened over the last 10 years. The car should go through a process automatically where it burns extra fuel trying to clean the DPF automatically. Too many if, but, maybe to handle. Change the car for a Auris hybrid, diesel mpg from a petrol hybrid.

I had a 59 plate t spirit diesel for a period of time, but it was pre DPF regulations. I loved that Yaris, and so did the wife after me.

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Well it should do. Is the car new to you, if so it all depends what has happened over the last 10 years. The car should go through a process automatically where it burns extra fuel trying to clean the DPF automatically. Too many if, but, maybe to handle. Change the car for a Auris hybrid, diesel mpg from a petrol hybrid.

I had a 59 plate t spirit diesel for a period of time, but it was pre DPF regulations. I loved that Yaris, and so did the wife after me.

Would having a proper dpf clean from professionals do the trick and yes I've only recent bought this vehicle 

The way I explained was a recent review I read and has been the most positive I read yet. Som I read about they “wash” the DPF threw but some of them I read it depends on how well they wash the DPF. Never done it myself so no first hand experience. Last 4 years all we had is Toyota hybrids, brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

The way I explained was a recent review I read and has been the most positive I read yet. Som I read about they “wash” the DPF threw but some of them I read it depends on how well they wash the DPF. Never done it myself so no first hand experience. Last 4 years all we had is Toyota hybrids, brilliant.

Yeh I seen that they do it in 3 stages and clean it all out with about 4 hrs and yeh so I've just drove 30 miles with high rev and switch engine off when I finished my journey and drove it right away again and it was working fine. So what would you suggest with that info ?

• Like 1

Well, maybe it is not as bad as you thought. As you are a regular Mway man, do that once a week for a couple weeks then see if you can widen that period to say once per month. Hope it goes well for you.

i would check that both differential pressure tubes are clean and clear (rubber hoses between the metal pipes and the sensor) it wouldn't hurt to put some injector treatment in the tank either

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i would check that both differential pressure tubes are clean and clear (rubber hoses between the metal pipes and the sensor) it wouldn't hurt to put some injector treatment in the tank either

Yeh I've use injector cleaner twice, would you recommend and dpf clean or do you think adding some dpf cleaner to the fuel will work 

12 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Yeh I've use injector cleaner twice, would you recommend and dpf clean or do you think adding some dpf cleaner to the fuel will work 

13 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Not an issue then, it may need putting into a forced regen

What do you mean by that 🤔?

Videos on You Tube as to what a forced dpf regen and how to do it.

No need for another treatment

The car does DPF regeneration to burn off the soot, If it fails to do a regen you can force it to do a regen with a scan tool

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

No need for another treatment

The car does DPF regeneration to burn off the soot, If it fails to do a regen you can force it to do a regen with a scan tool

Oh do you need a certain scan tool to be able to do thst?

I just watched the you tube videos, looks interesting.

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I just watched the you tube videos, looks interesting.

Yes I had a look to looks like u need a fancy scanner to be able to do it tho 

Yes, and one video mentioned a fancy price at a garage.  BUT doing a regen out on the road is viable. You said the car was better after you went for a fast drive, keeping the engine hot by keeping revs up. Did you see the video of the garage an in a Volvo?  He was restricted by what he could do because he was in London, you have open spaces of Lancashire. The engine needs to be hot, have you got any steep roads near you that will work the engine to get heat? Then he held the car at higher revs"

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links