Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Opinions on engine flush

Briano

So I’m driving a 2016 avensis with 2ww engine. 145000km on the clock, no problems.  Engine oil looks very black - just wondered what everyone’s opinion on using an engine flush every now and then. Thanks….

21 minutes ago, Briano said:

So I’m driving a 2016 avensis with 2ww engine. 145000km on the clock, no problems.  Engine oil looks very black - just wondered what everyone’s opinion on using an engine flush every now and then. Thanks….

well tbh i used engine flush sometimes every second maybe oil change thinking im doing a good thing well was on one of those vw 1.9tdi bulletproof engines also and was well looked after yet the head gasket went at 130k so tbh i blamed the engine flush im thinking . but i was also putting that diesel purge through it also 

• Like 1

DON'T! 

If you haven't used it before, just don't, you're too late. It's OK to use it on new cars from the 1st and on every oil change, but to start useing it with your mileage you'll probably cause more harm than good. 

I used it on my old Avensis with 1ZZFE engine (190000 km) and had to change the engine after that. It dissolved the old grime and it clogged up some oil channels resulting damaged cylinders and crankshaft bearings.

• Like 3

Black oil is normal on a diesel, even after a change, give it few days, a week, it will be black.

I think you are trying to fix a problem that just isn't there.

Don't fix things that are not broken.

• Like 4

If you about to use engine flush use only brands that have been well established and on the market for many years. I personally use wynns and stp additives, stp red bottle engine flush on every second oil change in petrol Toyota 1.8 and my engine is clean and sound after many years and miles. Modern engine flushes are not as aggressive as been in the past and what they do mostly is to thin up the oil and dislodge some deposits but those hard carbons that can cause eventually blockage in oil galleys and cause damage won’t be softened and removed easily. Basically the cleaner agent content in the engine flush is also included in your new oil but at much lower %, if you are worried about using engine flush and you want to clean the engine you can do 2x oil and filter change in 500 miles, or use half the bottle of the engine flush. , run the engine for 10-15min and change the oil and filter. Never drive the car with any cleaning additives inside the engine. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Much appreciated 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links