Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Runx Z Clutch Not Engaging

db04

Have owned a Runx Z with the 2zzge and have never had any serious problems with it, however, I accelerated relatively hard and when I went to shift into second I couldn't get it into gear at all, and when I released the clutch it stayed on the floor. When I next started the car the starter motor ran without engaging with anything but eventually connected and the engine starts fine now. The clutch now sticks to the floor when pushed in and when you try drive the clutch can be fully released but is still barely engaged, not enough to go over 30 kmh on flat and can't go up hills at all. Is this a problem anyone knows of, would it be an easier fix with the clutch master cylinder or will the engine and trans have to be dropped to replace something in the transmission?

Do you have two reservoirs ?  think on your model the clutch master cylinder might be part of the dual  brake master cylinder ?

The clutch pedal has a Return spring on it, so even if something down the line was sticking, think the pedal should be able to return on its own, unless the pedals bushes are almost siezed.

How many miles has it done since its last or original clutch, its possible the cluch assembly is worn out and sticking as well.

To renew , the engine stays in place, its the transmission that has to be dropped to gain access.

001006.jpg

On 1/19/2022 at 10:37 PM, oldcodger said:

Do you have two reservoirs ?  think on your model the clutch master cylinder might be part of the dual  brake master cylinder ?

The clutch pedal has a Return spring on it, so even if something down the line was sticking, think the pedal should be able to return on its own, unless the pedals bushes are almost siezed.

How many miles has it done since its last or original clutch, its possible the cluch assembly is worn out and sticking as well.

To renew , the engine stays in place, its the transmission that has to be dropped to gain access.

001006.jpg

Not sure about the reservoirs. Checked the clutch line and everything seems fine so I bought a clutch kit which I will install soon. The clutch pedal does come back but feels weak which I assume is because its only being pushed by the return spring. Not sure about how many miles the car has done since the last clutch as I didn't get a service history with the car, however the car has done 220000 km or 137000 miles, and the last owner didn't properly maintain the car. I have a few videos of the car driving and what I think are the master and slave clutch cylinders to check its working, so I will upload those. 

Hi,

You can get such squeakes from the pedal side of the master cylinder, the slave pushrod to clutch fork etc. nothing more than annoying.

Your last clip shows a typical case of clutch slip on hard accelaration, had it on mine and it will slowly get worse, though hard to say how long.

Replaced mine myself, did a little post about it, most should be similar to your model, but do check with the clutch makers site  / Corolla manuals etc about what parts need greasing and with what type of grease,   and what parts /areas  you must Not grease.

Also ensure you fill up with new gear oil before starting the engine again or that could mean a new gearbox!!

clutch details(1).pdfclutch details(1).pdfclutch details(1).pdf

8 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

You can get such squeakes from the pedal side of the master cylinder, the slave pushrod to clutch fork etc. nothing more than annoying.

Your last clip shows a typical case of clutch slip on hard accelaration, had it on mine and it will slowly get worse, though hard to say how long.

Replaced mine myself, did a little post about it, most should be similar to your model, but do check with the clutch makers site  / Corolla manuals etc about what parts need greasing and with what type of grease,   and what parts /areas  you must Not grease.

Also ensure you fill up with new gear oil before starting the engine again or that could mean a new gearbox!!

clutch details(1).pdfclutch details(1).pdfclutch details(1).pdf 561.5 kB · 1 download

The slip is super bad, and happened suddenly while shifting in lift. The slip is so bad you can have the car in 1st with the handbrake on and clutch out and it won't even feel like the car is pushing against the brake. Going to replace the clutch over the next few days and will update with how it went. Thanks for your replies and your help, it is appreciated a lot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links