Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front suspension strut compatibility?

Big martin

My 2004 Celica tsport has burst a front shocker and I need a replacement. All of my local motor factors only list one that fits the range from 2000-2006. Comparing the new strut to the original it appears that the original Toyota spring hangers are lowered from factory about 20mm. This means that the car will sit higher on one side with the replacement strut fitted. Also the hole for the drop link is about 20mm out as well. Any body had similar issues? Is it dealer only££££? Should I get a set of coil overs and replace all of them for piece of mind (if so which ones)? Any advice welcomed. Many thanks 😊

Its only the spring, the shock is the same, just swap the spring

what is the part number stamped into the shock as ther is a change over in 06/2004

Hi, it has burst the strut and leaked all of the oil out unfortunately. A spring would have been so much easier. 👍

The shock is the same, it's the spring that is shorter, iirc the oem is KYB tbh change the shocks as an axle pair

KYB

LH - 334278

RH - 334277

You want a pair of KYB Excel shocks, dust boots, and a pair of drop links. I would also be replacing the springs with Eibach Pro Kit, and you should consider new top mounts if the mileage is north of 100k too.

Once fitted, wait a couple of weeks for the suspension to "settle", before having a full wheel alignment carried out.

Expensive, but worth it if you're keeping the TS, and cheaper than replacing the parts separately.

• Like 1

The supplied shock is definitely different to what is currently fitted as I’ve measured with a tape measure. Bottom of shock up to spring hanger is at least 20mm less on original strut which looks to be the original. The gap from the spring hanger to the drop link mount is also less on the original hence it not lightning up any more? It appears that there are two types of strut unless the supplied one has been manufactured wrong?

Bob has given you the correct KYB part numbers.

I've read where you've mentioned "money is tight", but I suggest you "bite the bullet" re suspension parts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263940492054?fits=Model%3ACelica&hash=item3d74144b16:g:V1AAAOSwcTlbnkA0

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your advice, looks like I’ll be ordering a pair of front struts. 

They have been replaced no doubt some time in 2013/14 judging by that sticker

If they are oem the number should be stamped under all that grot

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links