Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bending Rear Axle For Negative Camber

Acoustic

I've got a DIY idea how to bend my rear axle for desired negative camber, including zero if desired. Hope you guys can give some comments about the method below.

Since I'm assuming I've got a S-bend in my axle housing, so the solution is to use a regular car's jack under the axle, between the 2 wheels and force it open. The step by step detail process is: -

1) put two strong hard wood block on both rim's inner face - for protection as well as anti-slip ....... ??? if works ???

2) place the jack under the axle

3) direct the jack's direction between the 2 wheel's rim inner face

4) place a rod of somekind to fill the gap / space between the 2 wooded blocks

5) jack - expand side ways literally and the wheels will start to ..... negative camber

There are other issues of concerns like: -

A) what if the bending bias more towards one side? i.e. get -1 at left but only -0.5 at right?

Well, the solution may be to park the car extremely close to a strong wall of somekind, stick a wood between the wall and the wheel that you do not want to further increase it's negative camber - and start to jack / expand between the 2 wheels and hope for the best ....??? may work???

B) what if the bending is not .... immediately permanent?

i.e. when expanding the jack in the middle - assuming managed to get -0.5 at both wheels - which is perfect for equality, but upon release of jack, it returns to original

Well, if this is the case, there are 2 solutions

B-1) expand the jack extra amount, until upon release then it actually becomes what you want.

or

B-2) expand the jack to required amount, leave it over night and check the next morning? may work?

And if this method works, one can also use this method to force / push the wheels from too much negative camber back to original or whatever desired amount.

The solution is to place the wood and jack outside the wheel, either on top of bottom as required and borrow a support from a strong wall. Park the car real near to it.

Oh forgot to mention, lift the car if required, either one side or both.

Any take on this ideasssss ????

Many thanks in advance.

a better, and safer way would be to have some shims made up to 'pack' the bottom of the hub flange (where the hub bolts to the axle) and induce camber this way.

bending the axle isnt something i would recomend.

dont maori it up man..... (do it crap styz), like, fixing your headlight, by hitting it... or using wood glue

maori it up means to do it ****... but hey, it still works!

do it propper... go ask at your local tuner shop... see what they say or your local mag shop etc.

hmmmmm good points ..... thinking .... processing......

well, the reason for asking is mainly because want to DIY :) - part of the fun :)

are you for real ? you plan on measuring that accuracy of degree by bending LOFL..

Do it the only way and machine yourself a precision engineered spacer, if not you'll end up wrapped round a tree dead. :fishyface:

real - yes

When you have a negative camber unbalance, probably leave it...

But when you have a positive camber ---- I'm sure everyone would be very ancious to fix it..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links