Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help

Will516

Just bought Yaris d4d 2005 .running cold, turned out there was no thermostat.fitted new one,now hot air out of heater but the radiator never gets hot and the engine doesn't overheat that I can tell,also after driving to get up to temp there is no pressure in the expansion tank.Is this normal or is there an air lock? If so how do I get the air out.

Squeeze the hoses, if there is an air gap, you should feel it.

Doesn't feel like there is air but not sure. When I filled up with water I ran for half hour with the expansion tank cap off and the heater on hot and full power,also filled up top hose before putting back on radiator to make sure engine was full of water.

It's Winter, it's a diesel, you're in Scotland. One diesel I had used to drop its temperature if you used the heater below 40MPH.

• Like 1

You've done the right thing running it up to temp with the cap off, just massage the pipes and 'burp' it out a bit.  Failing that, if it is overcooling, just put a piece of card in front of part of the radiator

As above: squeeze the bottom hose first , then the top. Repeat several time. (Engine off, thermostat cap off)

Then drive 5 miles (cap on of course)

Repeat.

It took approx 3 attempts in summer to bleed ours..and that involved driving up a very steep hill to get the engine up to heat)

Was thinking off changing thermostat incase the new one I fitted is faulty.what temp should be stamped on thermostat?

What happens if you take it for a good long run, at speed?

I'm traveling about 36 miles to work and back and radiator still cold.I also do deliverys at night,stop start car ticking over-radiator still cold.

You could always test the thermostat if you have a temp gauge. Stick in pan of warm wter, heat up and see what temperature the stat opens at.

Any difference if you turn the heater off.?

During this very cold weather we are haveing at the moment the thermostat maybe only opening briefly then shutting again hence the radiator feeling cold leave it idling for approx an hour and see if the top radiator hose is warm the radiator will be cold until the stat opens and will always be cold to Luke warm at the bottom.

as has been suggested take it for a long run then see if the top of rad is warm, I know from experience that certain diesel cars take for ever to get warm if the heater is blowing hot and car is not overheating I wouldn’t worry to much.

from memory looking at thermostats from years ago seemed to  remember that they had stamped on them 82 and 88 degrees c

as joe has suggested put it in a pan of boiling water to test it.

The radiator is unlikely to get hot when driving in these temperatures, if there's heat from the internal heater then it's more than likely that everything's 'honky dory'.

Try again when the weather picks up and you'll soon be able to see if the radiator gets warm. Btw, the expansion tank doesn't get pressurised as it's open to atmosphere.

I agree with above I have one of these cars and they do run very cool, takes a long time for the little diesel to get hot and if you are getting heat inside then there is nothing to stress about generally these engines are pretty reliable. Mate you will know if theres a serious issue to worry about if that ever happens 

Cheers 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links