Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Corolla Touring sports hybrid

BazzerH

following on to my earlier thread regarding my car seems that the problem i have been having is down to a blocked Cat as a result it has melted the o2 sensors, anybody know of anybody who is selling a cat that will fit my car as im assuming to go new would be silly money?

How many miles has the car now done - back in December it was on 84,000 (used as a taxi)?

How can be a cat blocked? Has it been accident repaired? Cat should last lifetime of the car or at least many 0000’s miles, unless something unusual has had happened. I suggest to you only oem exhaust cat, silencers, sensors, gaskets and bolts to be used otherwise more issues area very likely. 

52 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

How can be a cat blocked? Has it been accident repaired? Cat should last lifetime of the car or at least many 0000’s miles, unless something unusual has had happened. I suggest to you only oem exhaust cat, silencers, sensors, gaskets and bolts to be used otherwise more issues area very likely.

They can melt down if unburnt fuel has been finding its way in, normally as the result of another issue such as misfire, air leak or faulty O2 sensor. Important to ensure the root cause gets eliminated before doing the expensive part, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, Red_Corolla said:

They can melt down if unburnt fuel has been finding its way in, normally as the result of another issue such as misfire, air leak or faulty O2 sensor. Important to ensure the root cause gets eliminated before doing the expensive part, for obvious reasons.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses,

1.....As i was told wrong info regarding servicing intervals my warranty is invalid

2.....The car has still only covered 83,300 (dunno why i put 84k lol) is still a taxi but has been unusable since early dec

3.....I assumed that due to faulty cat it took out the o2 sensors when in reality it was faulty o2 sensors causing unburnt fuel to get in the cat and as a result blocked it.

4.....Went down the OEM route have new o2 sensors and new cat complete with new gaskets fitted (at my expense) and touch wood its running like a new car again

5.....Going to work my first shift in it tomorrow, wish me luck and will report back......

regards all

Baz

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BazzerH said:

1.....As i was told wrong info regarding servicing intervals my warranty is invalid

2.....The car has still only covered 83,300 (dunno why i put 84k lol) is still a taxi but has been unusable since early dec

3.....I assumed that due to faulty cat it took out the o2 sensors when in reality it was faulty o2 sensors causing unburnt fuel to get in the cat and as a result blocked it.

4.....Went down the OEM route have new o2 sensors and new cat complete with new gaskets fitted (at my expense) and touch wood its running like a new car again

5.....Going to work my first shift in it tomorrow, wish me luck and will report back......

regards all

Baz

Hi Baz

What was the servicing intervals you were told, so you've lost your warranty?

Who told you this, and don't you have this anywhere on paper?

Also if you don't mind would you share how much did you pay to fix everything 

Seems a bit strange, doesn't it

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BazzerH said:

regards all

Baz

Only got as far as no 1 and I having problems understanding what you say.

you are a taxi driver and this is what you said in December “tbh this car has been used as a taxi and in the last 2 1/2 yrs has covered 84k miles so has been well driven,”…….. well driven, but has it been well serviced????  Now you saying as point 1) “you were told the wrong servicing intervals”.  Who told you the wrong service intervals?  And what intervals did they say work too..????
I have in the past bought two vehicles that were used as taxis, one a Peugeot with 350,000 miles, and a Prius with 105,000 miles (both substantially more miles then yours). The servicing and repair invoices pertaining to both of these was amazing, they were workhorses, just like yours is. If a penny was needed to be spent, it was spent, and paperwork to back it up. Those owners were meticulous in maintaining there means of making a living in top order, they knew, sorry, they absolutely knew as responsible owners when there horse was due for a service and had it done.
Why didn’t you make it your responsibility to find out what Toyota recommends for servicing their engines, your means of making a living.????
I could easily think you knew exactly what you were doing by cutting corners, not having servicing done at the proper times, you were saving money, and you paying the price.   What servicing intervals were you told and by whom????

• Like 2

He probably meant "well" as in "a lot"

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Only got as far as no 1 and I having problems understanding what you say.

you are a taxi driver and this is what you said in December “tbh this car has been used as a taxi and in the last 2 1/2 yrs has covered 84k miles so has been well driven,”…….. well driven, but has it been well serviced????  Now you saying as point 1) “you were told the wrong servicing intervals”.  Who told you the wrong service intervals?  And what intervals did they say work too..????
I have in the past bought two vehicles that were used as taxis, one a Peugeot with 350,000 miles, and a Prius with 105,000 miles (both substantially more miles then yours). The servicing and repair invoices pertaining to both of these was amazing, they were workhorses, just like yours is. If a penny was needed to be spent, it was spent, and paperwork to back it up. Those owners were meticulous in maintaining there means of making a living in top order, they knew, sorry, they absolutely knew as responsible owners when there horse was due for a service and had it done.
Why didn’t you make it your responsibility to find out what Toyota recommends for servicing their engines, your means of making a living.????
I could easily think you knew exactly what you were doing by cutting corners, not having servicing done at the proper times, you were saving money, and you paying the price.   What servicing intervals were you told and by whom????

i was told by the guy who dropped my car off, who actually made a note of telling me he is an employee of toyota (the guy who normally delivers cars for this garage was unavailable that day) he gave me the info of 10k first service and as it was a hybrid every 15k thereafter and told me i could verify it with a quick google search which i did and the top result stated the same info, i followed that advice to the latter and as you put it, if it needed it it had it and all genuine parts, for you to assume other wise and that corners where cut is not very fair to be honest, but that is as far as your post warrants a reply.

So, what did this guy and Google search say……

Ok, so when was serviced last time and at what mileage? Also you can check on Toyota website if you register my t. Definitely this car has been neglected badly otherwise these are bulletproof and 84k miles is nothing mileage. Basically cars get trouble from bad service or no service plus abuse when driving. That’s it. Good to know you went right way and get it all sorted. How much did it all cost is interesting indeed? 

• Like 1

Your car should have had 7 services with the 8th dues very soon.

Your warranty will be gone at 100000 miles.

Jesus wept, if i had known that asking advice from all you grown adults and obviously experienced toyota users would have resulted in being accused of "cutting corners to save money" and "neglecting" my car "or having "bad or no servicing" i wouldnt have bothered...sorry to have wasted all your time

If your last service was within 10k miles when the issue appeared they should honour the warranty, am I right?If this is the case you should try and argue with the dealer regardless if the previous services have been over 10k miles.

1 hour ago, BazzerH said:

hybrid every 15k thereafter and told me i could verify it with a quick google search which i did and the top result stated the same info

I presume that you may have looked at the European service intervals which are 1 year or 15,000km, whereas the UK service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles.

37 minutes ago, Niky said:

If your last service was within 10k miles when the issue appeared they should honour the warranty, am I right?

No - as the previous services presumably were at incorrect intervals (ie 15,000 miles rather than 10,000).

Anyway it is what it is, and there is no point members continuing to question the situation.

Hope your car is OK now and you're able to continue your work.

Nikolay, Only if the previous services were as scheduled.  A car, used by a standard customer, would have 5 years warranty, subject to mileage and service. However, if using the car as a taxi, can’t remember exactly what the terms are but different to a non business use owner.

Also, you can’t exceed the terms of a warranty and then get back in again. The warranty says 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes the sooner. That’s why I stated by now it should have had 7 services…. I was wrong, it should be 8 at 83,000 miles.  Working on what Barrie told us he should have had 5 (10k, 25, 40, 55, 70).

I done a Google search, “Toyota Corolla 2020 hybrid, what is the service schedule in the uk” and the answer was 12month/10k miles, whichever is sooner, that is correct. You got to make sure you are getting an answer pertaining to a service schedule in the uk. (Or wherever you are.)

Re Frostyballs post, 15,000km is approx 9,000 miles. 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Nikolay, Only if the previous services were as scheduled.  A car, used by a standard customer, would have 5 years warranty, subject to mileage and service. However, if using the car as a taxi, can’t remember exactly what the terms are but different to a non business use owner.

Also, you can’t exceed the terms of a warranty and then get back in again. The warranty says 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes the sooner. That’s why I stated by now it should have had 7 services…. I was wrong, it should be 8 at 83,000 miles.  Working on what Barrie told us he should have had 5 (10k, 25, 40, 55, 70).

I done a Google search, “Toyota Corolla 2020 hybrid, what is the service schedule in the uk” and the answer was 12month/10k miles, whichever is sooner, that is correct. You got to make sure you are getting an answer pertaining to a service schedule in the uk. (Or wherever you are.)

Re Frostyballs post, 15,000km is approx 9,000 miles. 

obviously when i had done my search i had mistook 15km for miles, cant remember but if my vpn was set for eu at the time then that would explain the mistake and yes i have had it serviced 5 times which i took for being correct, but due to the fact i had followed an incorrect schedule i will be having next service in around 1500 miles and then the big 100k will be carried out as per and although my warranty has expired already i will ensure to have it serviced every 10k miles from then after, for all those who asked, the total i paid for the parts and labour was £1500 which included (all Toyota) pipe with both cats on and fitting kit including bolts, gaskets etc.. 2 lambda sensors and 1 hr of labour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BazzerH said:

obviously when i had done my search i had mistook 15km for miles, cant remember but if my vpn was set for eu at the time then that would explain the mistake and yes i have had it serviced 5 times which i took for being correct, but due to the fact i had followed an incorrect schedule i will be having next service in around 1500 miles and then the big 100k will be carried out as per and although my warranty has expired already i will ensure to have it serviced every 10k miles from then after, for all those who asked, the total i paid for the parts and labour was £1500 which included (all Toyota) pipe with both cats on and fitting kit including bolts, gaskets etc.. 2 lambda sensors and 1 hr of labour.

That’s not a bad price 👍 I am not sure if extended service intervals has anything to do with cat failure if you been serviced at 15k miles instead of a 10k miles since the car been driven a lot the service intervals been  more often than once a year or 10k miles , therefore something else imo has caused the fault. Anyway, job done now , price was sensible and so happy end. Sorry for misunderstanding, I  never accused you of been neglecting your car as I have no idea about your circumstances and car ownership, I only said as an example when car is neglected what happens., but we all know that. In your case could have been anything, perhaps even manufacturer fault as faulty parts or poor workmanship, who knows. , only thing is that because of the service schedule you couldn’t make a claim. 👍

Well I'm at my wits end now, having driven the car for 6 hrs straight this morning and 2 hrs this evening the engine warning and engine light once again came on (after going going over a rough piece of road) the only difference this time is i was able to drive the 5 miles home with both engine and hybrid working as normal so i haven't got a clue now other than thinking it could be something to do with the brakes, now before anybody slams me i am fully aware of how warn pads sound and how to identify this problem in a non hybrid car i am also aware that during the bi-annual test (taxi mot) my car has, checking the condition of the pads is supposed to be done, as they have never been highlighted by neither the testing station or my usual garage when having tires replaced or punctures fixed you just assume they are good to go but I'm thinking maybe this could be the issue i am facing now as other than the mass airflow sensor I don't think there is anything mechanical or hybrid side left to check....has anybody had a situation where worn pads has caused the check engine light to come on?

4 hours ago, BazzerH said:

Well I'm at my wits end now, having driven the car for 6 hrs straight this morning and 2 hrs this evening the engine warning and engine light once again came on (after going going over a rough piece of road) the only difference this time is i was able to drive the 5 miles home with both engine and hybrid working as normal so i haven't got a clue now other than thinking it could be something to do with the brakes, now before anybody slams me i am fully aware of how warn pads sound and how to identify this problem in a non hybrid car i am also aware that during the bi-annual test (taxi mot) my car has, checking the condition of the pads is supposed to be done, as they have never been highlighted by neither the testing station or my usual garage when having tires replaced or punctures fixed you just assume they are good to go but I'm thinking maybe this could be the issue i am facing now as other than the mass airflow sensor I don't think there is anything mechanical or hybrid side left to check....has anybody had a situation where worn pads has caused the check engine light to come on?

Hi, sorry to hear that an issue happened again. Best to run a diagnostic first and take it from there, worn pads should not trigger engine light but a problem with the electric brake booster it will and yellow warning ⚠️ too, best to start with reading the fault codes and this will point you into right direction. It’s strange that problems happens one after the other, you need to look for eventually a connection between but let see what actually happened first . 
Good luck 🤞 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, sorry to hear that an issue happened again. Best to run a diagnostic first and take it from there, worn pads should not trigger engine light but a problem with the electric brake booster it will and yellow warning ⚠️ too, best to start with reading the fault codes and this will point you into right direction. It’s strange that problems happens one after the other, you need to look for eventually a connection between but let see what actually happened first . 
Good luck 🤞 

Hi mate, i appear to have nailed the route cause of all my problems as for the first time during scan we got a P0103 MAF sensor malfunction, seems like this little bugger has been the issue all along but even toyota tech had no clue as to why its only just showing now other than perhaps it was an intermittent fault that would flag on one pass but not on 2 consecutive ones until now but enough to take out the o2 sensors and CAT, well new one ordered and will be fitted Saturday morning so HOPEFULLY thats it all sorted..and for those who wish to know it is aproxx £140 inc vat fitted ;-)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, thought i would give you all an update, the MAF sensor replacement did NOT solve my problem, after breaking down once again i had the car transported to a toyota dealer (not the same as the first one i went to) and after providing written consent for them to download the vehicle control history they where able to pinpoint the first time the error code appeared and right along side it was another code which turned out to be the Fuel Pump relay switch, which they replaced and now thankfully after 12 days of driving its safe to say all is good, i will however be putting an official complaint in to Toyota regarding the service i received from the first dealer as its believed by all involved that had they done what the second dealer did it would have saved me almost £2k as i most likely wouldnt have had to replace the cat and sensors including MAF, will let you guys know how i get on with complaint ;-)

• Like 8