Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis Fuse / Nextbase Hardwire Kit

SB1500

Hello folks, I have a query here. I just bought a 2018 Avensis and I've been trying to wire in to the fuse box using the genuine Nexbase Dashcam hardwire kit. I'm posting here as the fuse box might be the same in other Toyota's (maybe other modern Toyotas?). I have successfully done this in my old 2017 Fiat Panda and 2017 DS 3, and now it's come to the Avensis and things are different.

Firstly, the fuses are much shorter in height. The metal teeth are sunk into the fuse plastic coloured body itself.  No issue I thought, normal's will still work but stick out. I ended up concluding the Toyota uses 'Micro blade' fuses, so I ordered a new Micro blade Nextbase ending for the hardwire kit online, only to find this must be some even smaller different grade of fuse.  I'll need to go back to the original mini blade fuses, even though they'll stick out and I'll need to keep the fuse board cover elsewhere since it won't fit back on whilst the hardwire kit is on. Unless anyone here knows of any reason why that won't work?

Next, I'm thinking Fuse 25 / Cigarette or Accessory is a good one to 'piggy back' off of, is this sensible to you all? Or which is a better one to use?  This is a 7.5 amp spot on the Avensis. In my last two cars, I ended up hooking it up to fuses which were on constantly which didn't give too much trouble on such new cars, but I always felt might lead to trouble down the line. 

My main question is, do you have any advice on which fuse to use and if the regular mini blade Nextbase hardwire kit fitting is appropriate for the fusebox? 

Just an update, there's a Nextbase low-profile ending for the wire in kit. I've ordered this now. That should solve fitting issues. 

It's more now about which fuse is best to use?

Thanks - if the thread seems pointless, admins feel free to close it. I was mostly thrown off by these odd new style fuses I haven't encountered before.

I've always used the cigarette lighter lines to power my dashcams, but because it's physically impossible to use a piggyback fuse in the Yaris fusebox and still be able to shut the fusebox lid, I usually splice it into the back of the cigarette lighter socket wiring harness with some back-probes. This is a LOT more work tho' as the headunit or even dash has to come out usually...!

TBH any fuse-source that is linked to the ignition would be fine - most people use the cigarette one as that's the most obvious and saves having to hunt through the manual and fuse diagrams :laugh: 

Dashcams shouldn't use too much power; Normally 5v at 2A, which is 0.8A at 12v, so theoretically a 1A fuse should be enough, but at least 2A would be better as it'd leave some headroom for power-on inrush current.

Or did you mean the fuse-type? I'm not sure what type of fuse the Avensis uses but the Yaris used low-profile minifuses IIRC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, Cyker said:

I've always used the cigarette lighter lines to power my dashcams, but because it's physically impossible to use a piggyback fuse in the Yaris fusebox and still be able to shut the fusebox lid, I usually splice it into the back of the cigarette lighter socket wiring harness with some back-probes. This is a LOT more work tho' as the headunit or even dash has to come out usually...!

TBH any fuse-source that is linked to the ignition would be fine - most people use the cigarette one as that's the most obvious and saves having to hunt through the manual and fuse diagrams :laugh: 

Dashcams shouldn't use too much power; Normally 5v at 2A, which is 0.8A at 12v, so theoretically a 1A fuse should be enough, but at least 2A would be better as it'd leave some headroom for power-on inrush current.

Or did you mean the fuse-type? I'm not sure what type of fuse the Avensis uses but the Yaris used low-profile minifuses IIRC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

Hi, so I got the correct low profile fuse ending for the dash cam hardwire kit. Put it in the fuse box, fuse 25 cigarette lighter with the preinstalled 2amp fuse from next base and it’s still not working.  The lid also won’t close on the Avensis, I was planning to leave it off and keep the piece in the glovebox. 
but i might need to splice into the wiring as you’ve said if I don’t find a fuse that works. 

the negative it bolted into one of the metal bolts near the fuse box. The wires are all fine. So I’m not sure why it won’t work when the ignition and engine is on 😕 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links