Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Toyata Prius or 2011 Toyota Auris?

MrEco

Hi All,

I am trying to decide between a 2008 Toyota Prius 1.5T Spirit 68k miles, or a 2011 Auris 1.8T Spirit 80k miles. I want the best economy and based on reading past posts looks like the prius is better? But, is it a good idea to buy a 14yr old car in 2022? I do city miles during the week and motorway 100-300 miles at the weekend. Difference between the car prices (UK) is £1k more for the Auris. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hi, there is no comparison between both cars, Auris wins 100%, it’s the next generation 3 hybrid synergy drive with which Toyota has made a huge step forward, it’s much better driving experience car especially on motorways and it’s more modern and a bit more efficient imo. Basically Auris hybrid is based on Prius gen3 and can be compared together, gen 2 is completely different car and unless is half price of the Auris there is no place for consideration. 👍 Just make sure you are buying a good example. 

• Like 3

Hi Sunny and welcome to TOC.

I not even driven a mk2 Prius but I do know that it’s engine is a 1.5 while the 2011 Auris is 1.8, so the power will be down on the Prius, both from the engine and probably from the hybrid side of things.
As Tony says, the hybrid engineering in the Auris is exactly the same as the Gen3 Prius……. and I have had birth of them and still do have the Auris, a 2010 model. It was my first Toyota hybrid, had it 6 months then bought a Gen3 59 plate Prius. The Auris was, and still is, a fine car and is coming up to 80k miles. In the summer over 60mpg is attainable, reducing to over 50mpg in the winter. The Mk3 Prius is a nicer car then the Auris, IMO, and does a few more mpg because of its shape, despite it being a bigger car.

Bodywork tends to be good on the Auris of that year, and the mk2 Prius look pretty good too. Always check the state of the rear brakes/discs. Due to lack of serious use they can seize up and rust. A Toyota dealer, if you have the car serviced with them, will check the hybrid Battery annually and you get an extra 12 month warranty, up to 15 years/150k miles (I think). That is done same time as annual/10k service. Small service costs circa £185, large service circa £345. Both cars you looking at will miss out on Toyota Relax warranty, do a search on here and you will learn about it. May be worthy of you considering a newer Toyota hybrid.  Re the Hybrid Battery health check, if you service the car outside of Toyota dealer you can get them to do the hybrid Battery check for circa £45 up to 15year/150k miles.                
A Gen3 Prius should be on your search IMO.

• Like 2

Agree with Catlovers' last sentence above, try and stretch to a decent Gen3 Prius (2010 on), more space all round. Beware ex-taxis though, although mileage not so important provided there is a decent (pref. dealership) history. But a decent one won't be cheap these days unfortunately.

• Like 1

Prius. The headroom on the Auris is too low and I bang my head getting in and out

3 minutes ago, MyOpinionIsWorthless said:

Prius. The headroom on the Auris is too low and I bang my head getting in and out

Well, I am 6’ and have no problems getting in and out of the Auris.

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I bet your seat position is set low then. I’m 6’2 and I risked concussion every time. Hence a new Prius on order not a Corolla (ex Auris) TS

Auris gen 1 is as big as Prius inside or even bigger only smaller is the boot. Roof is high in that model, does give feeling like you are in minivan or mpv. 

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

It’s not so much height, as how long your legs are, or, if you prefer how long you are between the your hips and shoulders.

Overall body flexibility is another point too, but I am the same height as my brother in law, but he has lots of trouble with cars with very raked windshield.

12 hours ago, MyOpinionIsWorthless said:

I bet your seat position is set low then. I’m 6’2 and I risked concussion every time. Hence a new Prius on order not a Corolla (ex Auris) TS

Never, ever, try and get into a Mk4 Yaris, esp a GR! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Oh yes.  You only try that embarrassment once

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Haha, is it gonna be like that 🤣👍

• Like 1

With a car like that just make sure there is a sliding sunroof, easier exit 😄

if the car is a Toyota, then make sure it has a moonroof. 😄