Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pruis Discontinued

Devon Aygo

Today Toyota GB announced that due a review of model portfolio and a change in customer purchase trends Prius is discontinued with immediate notice, outstanding orders will be fulfilled but no further orders will be accepted.

Prius Plug in will continue as an alternative for customers still wanting a Prius

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

That is sad. I just don’t understand why the Prius doesn’t sell. There are many Prius on the road, yet the Prius forum on here is very “quiet”. Why? I can only assume because they are reliable. You don’t hear of many problems with them. They are comfy too, and economical. Even today, with a temperature of 8degC a 16 mile journey to a garden centre and back produced 72mpg.

• Like 2

That's a bit of a shocker, the flagship hybrid being discontinued?!

I thought they were going to keep it, even as a low volume seller, just to be set up for maximum mpg whereas the other hybrid cars would be oriented more toward their typical market segments.

• Like 1

Presume this is just the UK.

Having said that Toyota Europe Prius sales dropped off a cliff in 2021:

Camry - 59,246 (incl hybrid 10,121)

Corolla hatchback & Touring Sport - 127,882 (incl hybrid 122,869!

Corolla saloon - 80,186 (incl hybrid 43,942)

Prius - 1,597

Prius Plug-in - 1,462.

43 minutes ago, Catlover said:

That is sad. I just don’t understand why the Prius doesn’t sell. There are many Prius on the road, yet the Prius forum on here is very “quiet”. Why? I can only assume because they are reliable. You don’t hear of many problems with them. They are comfy too, and economical. Even today, with a temperature of 8degC a 16 mile journey to a garden centre and back produced 72mpg.

Hi Joe, I agree that’s so sad. I started driving Toyotas purely because of the Prius. I’ve had so many years of trouble free motoring & really enjoyed driving both of my Prius cars. However, in some respects I do feel that Toyota have been left behind with developments & with the UK government hell bent on getting rid of all petrol/diesel driven vehicles by 2035, prospects for any thing other than evs or hydrogen powered vehicles looks grim. I remember you saying that buying an electric vehicle now was short sighted because the vehicles available by 2030 will make today’s evs obsolete & worthless. I think you are spot on there, especially as there’s so much research into alternative batteries to the lithium batteries used today. We’ll have to wait & see but for now I have no intention of changing my Prius anytime soon, since I’m going to treasure the last few years of owning this iconic car. For the future, I have no idea whether Toyota will produce a suitably priced, evs or hydrogen powered, car I would want to buy but for sure, whatever it is it’ll be at least a Japanese or Far Eastern made car after the reliability & great motoring I’ve ever experienced over the last many years. Thank you Toyota.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presume this is just the UK.

Having said that Toyota Europe Prius sales dropped off a cliff in 2021:

Camry - 59,246 (incl hybrid 10,121)

Corolla hatchback & Touring Sport - 127,882 (incl hybrid 122,869!

Corolla saloon - 80,186 (incl hybrid 43,942)

Prius - 1,597

Prius Plug-in - 1,462.

Hi Frosty, It’s sad news especially for devoted Prius fans like myself. However, as I noticed there really are very few Prius cars on the road. It was always considered to be by some quarters a bit of an old person’s car & a joke. Unfortunately not enough people got behind the wheel to experience what a remarkable car it was. I hope to keep driving my car for now but as for the future, who knows. I value your opinion & I note you drive a  Hyundai so what do you think of the Hyundai evs? Whatever happens in the future from my experience I will always buy Japanese/Far Eastern motors & I do hope Toyota produce a reliable car I would be happy with.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly Trevor you have the same colour Prius as myself - Hypersonic Red, shows off the Prius very well. I couldn’t afford to change again I don’t think, but I don’t see anything I would change my Prius for. It is now 5+ years and I had it for 3.5 years and love every minute I am driving it. I am going to keep it on the Toyota Relax scheme, but hope I never need to claim. To me the Prius is to Toyota hybrids what Toyota Corolla is to Toyota petrol cars - a legend. You just have to look at the Toyota hybrids there are now and they have all come from the Prius, but non have bettered it IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

I note you drive a  Hyundai so what do you think of the Hyundai evs?

The Hyundai EV's seem quite reliable, but for us the range is an issue as we holiday on the Isle of Skye each year  - over 500 miles away. the hybrid and EV batteries are covered by an 8 year warranty. Hybrids use a dual clutch transmission, so possibly not as reliable as Toyota's eCVT, and the new i20 is currently just a mild hybrid.

At the time we bought our last i20 (2015), it was more suitable for us than the Yaris as the tailgate opening at bumper level was wider and the larger boot accommodates my wife's therapy couches easier. Had it just over 4 years, and just had annual servicing - no warranty problems. Changed it for another i20 early in 2020 (before the new Yaris came out), and, touch wood, again have had no issues over the past 22 months. 

Cheers Frosty. I appreciate your answer. Any personal views about the Hyundai evs you have in the future would be of great interest. 

6 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Today Toyota GB announced that due a review of model portfolio and a change in customer purchase trends Prius is discontinued with immediate notice, outstanding orders will be fulfilled but no further orders will be accepted.

Prius Plug in will continue as an alternative for customers still wanting a Prius

Thank god for that , i hated them.

Roger

• Sad 1

It’s one of, or even the most, aerodynamic cars made. Which means of course the quirky looks. I wouldn’t buy simply because it’s too big for my use. 

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

It’s one of, or even the most, aerodynamic cars made. Which means of course the quirky looks. I wouldn’t buy simply because it’s too big for my use. 

It is too big for our use as well, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have carried a total of 4, and the same with 3. But it is just a joy to drive. I read, couple years ago so it may not still be correct, that Prius slippyness through air was the best of high production vehicles and only beaten by a few of the very expensive super cars.

Some say it is ugly, but I can see some Prius in the latest Rav, Corolla, Yaris, particularly bits of shape in the front ends, bits which probably are positives for good fuel consumption.

I glad they are still going to be produced for selling in other countries, sad I won’t be seeing new ones on the road of UK.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I read, couple years ago so it may not still be correct, that Prius slippyness through air was the best of high production vehicles and only beaten by a few of the very expensive super cars.

Yes, at 0.24 cx it's up there with the best! I was expecting it to be N°1, but there are at least 5 in front of it, BMWs, Merci & Teslas for the most part. Interestingly, and maybe with a hint of irony, the Tesla 3 goes a notch better at 0.23 cx. The Prius was, after all, a precursor of what was to come. 

My SAAB had 0.37 cd and that was remarkable for the time.  One benefit was the back stayed clean.  Is that true of the Prius? 

The Corolla is not the dirtiest rear but certainly high on the list even with cd 0.29.

I do believe the Prius will be discontinued worldwide and perhaps this is the reason why they are late for the next gen 5 and also why the European Corolla Cross will introduce the gen5 hybrid system for a first time. There might be a successor to Prius with completely new tech like solid state Battery and or hydrogen ice, but that’s only my speculation and will not be available before late 2023-2024. I do really like the Prius and was thinking to upgrade in near future but what can we do, if no Prius available a top spec Corolla saloon or estate can do it for me. Electric Hyundai are very good, perhaps very close to Tesla and one of the most efficient cars and specifically the most basic ioniq, m/kWh are double on average with most other Evs. 38kw/h Battery nearly 200miles covered in summer where id3 for example Battery is 58kw/h and it will do around 220 miles real world.  👍

• Like 1

Prius hybrid - great car.  I've owned one from new, 2010, now on 102k.  Great all-rounder:  was my motorway-commute vehicle for years, averaging 62mpg winter, 70mpg summer.  Carries 4 adults, plus two boxers, no problem!  Good for distance, and local.

But things move on.  I'd much prefer a plug-in with a decent local range on electric, or a fully electric car.  And consumer preferences for vehicle shape change:  imagine what will follow with the flexibility for location of electric motors and autonomous driverless cars:  standby for radical changes!

• Like 1

Prius was, sadly enough, discontinued in Sweden as early as 2020. Prius was not much of an hit here in "Estimate and SUV land".

Think Prius wasn´t that much of an "family car" and a bit to low for senior buyers.

But as a 1-4 persons, without any luggage, car its unbeatable in effency .

We have been driven our Prius PHV 2018 1600km since april - 21 and it awerages 1.7L /100km ( 70% on pure ev)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HSDish said:

Think Prius wasn´t that much of an "family car" and a bit to low for senior buyers.

Well I am 74, but there again, I am not a senior yet

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think Tesla model 3 is the Prius of 2020’s and you can see it on every road, every intersection, every motorway junction in and around London. That car replaces Priuses in the business but also kills completely the managers fleet that use to be Mercedes’ c class and bmw 3 series, Octavia etc. In fact the only reason why Prius declined in sales is because of the other models offered as hybrids. Now hybrids are the norm from Toyota and Prius means first and different, Prius or some new name replacement will return eventually, just watch this space 👌🔋

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Well I am 74, but there again, I am not a senior yet

Hi Joe I’m 73 this year so not far behind you & yes I’m not a senior either yet! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Now hybrids are the norm from Toyota and Prius means first and different, Prius or some new name replacement will return eventually, just watch this space 👌🔋

I didn’t know that Tony, and it fits the aPrius car exactly.

So, you got me researching on the internet, not only regard the meaning of Prius, there was also the meaning of all the Toyota names, Supra, Corona, Auris, Yaris, Corolla etc, they were all there and it was very interesting.  So that’s the task for everyone this weekend, to find out the meaning of Toyota model names.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Toyota names, Supra, Corona, Auris, Yaris, Corolla etc, they were all there and it was very interesting.

Yep, the Yaris is such a charmer !

• Like 1

In hindsight it's a good thing the Toyota Corona was discontinued :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links