Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pruis Discontinued

Devon Aygo

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

In hindsight it's a good thing the Toyota Corona was discontinued :laugh: 

Pity people who smoke them ....

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Hyundai EV's seem quite reliable, but for us the range is an issue as we holiday on the Isle of Skye each year  - over 500 miles away. the hybrid and EV batteries are covered by an 8 year warranty. Hybrids use a dual clutch transmission, so possibly not as reliable as Toyota's eCVT, and the new i20 is currently just a mild hybrid.

At the time we bought our last i20 (2015), it was more suitable for us than the Yaris as the tailgate opening at bumper level was wider and the larger boot accommodates my wife's therapy couches easier. Had it just over 4 years, and just had annual servicing - no warranty problems. Changed it for another i20 early in 2020 (before the new Yaris came out), and, touch wood, again have had no issues over the past 22 months. 

What are the Hyundai head restraints like these days? Everytime i've been in one, or a Kia, i get a searing neck pain after only a short time due to the head restraints

1 minute ago, Mikw said:

What are the Hyundai head restraints like these days?

Fine, have had no issue with either our 2015 i20 or our 2020 i20.

With the 2012 i20 we had as our second car, it was just a matter of getting the seat back adjusted properly - once that was done, no problem.

16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Fine, have had no issue with either our 2015 i20 or our 2020 i20.

With the 2012 i20 we had as our second car, it was just a matter of getting the seat back adjusted properly - once that was done, no problem.

Ok, that's good to know. After three instances in three different cars i took them off my shortlist. I think it was more of a problem in the passenger seat as you tend to lean forward anyway when driving.

A friend of mine has occipital neuralagia and she had the same problem when travelling in a Mazda 2 i used to own, so i sold it. Ever since the hear restraints is one of the first things i look at.

My personal opinion is that manufacturers does whatever they had been pushed to do and not what they really want or prefer. Battery gate is around the corner (2030-2035) imo and it will repeat the diesel gate from 2015 and all bevs as we know them right now will be banned too due to an issue with the Battery themselves, production- recycling etc. We can see it’s nothing about the environment, it’s all another bs from the governments who proof they are simply not capable to run the countries properly worldwide. Electric cars and electric motors are the future no doubt but the current Battery tech it is not. The smarter car companies and the one who can afford like Toyota and Hyundai are investing into other alternative fuel and power sources for their cars and will be ready for another complete change that is imminent. Hydrogen in electric motor or ice cars as fuel is one option, however it is not accepted by the politicians and not promoted, but remember diesel gate and how they turned around 😉👌 The time for ice cars been banned the Evs might get caught too or even before that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, propnut said:

Could it be that they see Hydrogen Combustion as the future. No I don't mean Hydrogen Fuel Cell as in the Mirai but actually using liquified H2 in an ICE as in this article.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/36074055.html

The only only problem I see with using hydrogen in an ICE is that although the hydrogen combines with oxygen to produce water, the high pressures & temperatures in the engine enable nitrogen to also combine with oxygen to form nitrogen oxides, which are serious pollutants that also affect global warming. I can’t see the government allowing this after the efforts made to reduce pollution. Mind you maybe the CAT could stop these nitrogen oxides being released but I was rather hoping that future cars wouldn’t need a CAT since these have proved to be a nightmare for hybrid car owners who have had so many of these expensive CATS stolen.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

My personal opinion is that manufacturers does whatever they had been pushed to do and not what they really want or prefer. Battery gate is around the corner (2030-2035) imo and it will repeat the diesel gate from 2015 and all bevs as we know them right now will be banned too due to an issue with the battery themselves, production- recycling etc. We can see it’s nothing about the environment, it’s all another bs from the governments who proof they are simply not capable to run the countries properly worldwide. Electric cars and electric motors are the future no doubt but the current battery tech it is not. The smarter car companies and the one who can afford like Toyota and Hyundai are investing into other alternative fuel and power sources for their cars and will be ready for another complete change that is imminent. Hydrogen in electric motor or ice cars as fuel is one option, however it is not accepted by the politicians and not promoted, but remember diesel gate and how they turned around 😉👌 The time for ice cars been banned the Evs might get caught too or even before that. 

Bingo Tony! (IMO!) How about we all stop this hand wringing about what Mother Earth is doing just now (?) because she's been doing it for billions of years and I'm pretty sure that anything we as humans or governments do will result in the square root of zero in terms of what she will carry on doing for the next billion years!!😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

The only only problem I see with using hydrogen in an ICE is that although the hydrogen combines with oxygen to produce water, the high pressures & temperatures in the engine enable nitrogen to also combine with oxygen to form nitrogen oxides, which are serious pollutants that also affect global warming. I can’t see the government allowing this after the efforts made to reduce pollution. Mind you maybe the CAT could stop these nitrogen oxides being released but I was rather hoping that future cars wouldn’t need a CAT since these have proved to be a nightmare for hybrid car owners who have had so many of these expensive CATS stolen.

Page 3-3 of this document addresses your concerns regarding Nitrogen oxides.

"Generally, fuel economy is greater and the combustion reaction is more complete when a vehicle is run on a lean mixture. Additionally, the final combustion temperature is generally lower, reducing the amount of pollutants, such as nitrogen oxides, emitted in the exhaust."

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/tech_validation/pdfs/fcm03r0.pdf

It's not just Toyota that are going down this route. JCB here in the UK looked at EV for their earth moving products but decided H2 ICE made more sense.

2 minutes ago, propnut said:

Page 3-3 of this document addresses your concerns regarding Nitrogen oxides.

"Generally, fuel economy is greater and the combustion reaction is more complete when a vehicle is run on a lean mixture. Additionally, the final combustion temperature is generally lower, reducing the amount of pollutants, such as nitrogen oxides, emitted in the exhaust."

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/tech_validation/pdfs/fcm03r0.pdf

It's not just Toyota that are going down this route. JCB here in the UK looked at EV for their earth moving products but decided H2 ICE made more sense.

Whilst I agree, the ICE nevertheless, still produces some nitrogen oxides, whereas electric engines don’t. After saying that I would still prefer a car running with an ICE than an electric engined car but you can bet the government will home in on hydrogen ICE vehicles & I reckon they’ll use even the very small amounts of nitrogen oxides as an excuse to put a huge tax on them. You can’t win!

29 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Whilst I agree, the ICE nevertheless, still produces some nitrogen oxides, whereas electric engines don’t. After saying that I would still prefer a car running with an ICE than an electric engined car but you can bet the government will home in on hydrogen ICE vehicles & I reckon they’ll use even the very small amounts of nitrogen oxides as an excuse to put a huge tax on them. You can’t win!

Agreed, they are going to charge per mile for EV's as well. Like it or not we are screwed no matter which way it goes. As it stands at the moment I am hanging onto my ICE's cars. If fuel becomes scarce I will just run them on Methanol, Ethanol or whatever alcohol comes to hand. Wish I had kept my old Chrysler Grand Voyager as I used to run that on veg oil. But where there's a will there's a way.

My personal belief (and am happy for time to prove me wrong) is that the current crop of EV's are stop gap and unless you have one on a PCP you will end up with a white elephant that you can't shift.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, propnut said:

Just as a further FYI, this article says Toyota will be producing an H2 version of the Prius in 2023

https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/toyota-to-launch-hydrogen-powered-prius-and-corolla-in-2023/

Since Toyota have stopped exporting the Prius model to the UK, there’s no way I could buy an H2 version. Also if hydrogen is to be used, there’s going to have to be one hell of an infrastructure investment into hydrogen filling stations if Toyota are to be successful. 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:51 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presume this is just the UK.

Having said that Toyota Europe Prius sales dropped off a cliff in 2021:

Camry - 59,246 (incl hybrid 10,121)

Corolla hatchback & Touring Sport - 127,882 (incl hybrid 122,869!

Corolla saloon - 80,186 (incl hybrid 43,942)

Prius - 1,597

Prius Plug-in - 1,462.

Not just UK. Also announced in US and Germany 

On 1/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, Catlover said:

It is too big for our use as well, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have carried a total of 4, and the same with 3. But it is just a joy to drive. I read, couple years ago so it may not still be correct, that Prius slippyness through air was the best of high production vehicles and only beaten by a few of the very expensive super cars.

Some say it is ugly, but I can see some Prius in the latest Rav, Corolla, Yaris, particularly bits of shape in the front ends, bits which probably are positives for good fuel consumption.

I glad they are still going to be produced for selling in other countries, sad I won’t be seeing new ones on the road of UK.

If you want UGLY look at the Aventador

I’m annoyed at the announcement but grateful that they will fullfill my order placed in September for delivery in July this year (container ship delays not withstanding)
it will be my 5th Prius in 16 years having done more than 525,000 miles in that period. 

Detractors and Haters aside, I like the car, and will miss it when it finally gets replaced with a more trendy model

long live “classic car names” Cortina , Capri , Pinto , Prius , Velox , Zepher

• Like 3

The Toyota uk site is not a direct comparison to which Prius models are available over the channel or Irish sea.

Looking or browsing on other Toyota European sites and then under new cars which share the same layout and click 

• toyota.ie the Irish version still shows the Prius for sale but not the 'plug-in'
  • toyota.de  the German selling site shows only the Prius plug-in
  • toyota.it the Italia site shows both Prius versions as being for sale from new.

Leave you to, if you wish eye the Spanish site at toyota.es or toyota.com

On 1/22/2022 at 7:14 AM, ApophisAstros said:

Thank god for that , i hated them.

Roger

Very insightful🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 6:35 PM, FreddoChoc said:

The Toyota uk site is not a direct comparison to which Prius models are available over the channel or Irish sea.

Looking or browsing on other Toyota European sites and then under new cars which share the same layout and click 

• toyota.ie the Irish version still shows the Prius for sale but not the 'plug-in'
  • toyota.de  the German selling site shows only the Prius plug-in
  • toyota.it the Italia site shows both Prius versions as being for sale from new.

Leave you to, if you wish eye the Spanish site at toyota.es or toyota.com

A whole 11 Prius were sold in Ireland in 2021, out of 34k new cars sold in the country. The Corolla (mostly saloon), RAV4, C-HR, Yaris and Yaris Cross are top 10 sellers here, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they ditch the Prius (PHV already gone as noted). People are much more interested in full BEVs - Hyundai Ioniq 5 is 14th in the 2022 sales so far.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the PiP has disappeared now as well. Damn it! I was seriously thinking of getting one.

I see the Corolla Cross has appeared, and as noted above has the new drive-train. I'm not sure I like the form-factor though, and I want to see the fuel economy figures. The Yaris Cross felt good to drive, but it is quite a bit less aerodynamic. Driving the Yaris Cross and Yaris back-to-back it was evident the Cross required more power overall.

Hydrogen is a nice idea, but like anything proposed by eco-loonies, it is not based in scientific reality. Hydrogen takes massive amounts of energy to split, and the energy you get back from combustion is less than the energy input to split it out in the first place. It is still better to just burn petrol or diesel directly.

If it is done in the name of "the environment", it's total crap.

You couldn't pay me to buy an EV in the current market. Prices are too high and range is too low.

For some reason the Government thinks relative cost is what's important (whether it be energy prices or cars), but I look at absolute cost, and they're only going up. They are more expensive than they're worth.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I noticed the PiP has disappeared now as well.

Toyota GB decided to drop the Prius Plug-in within the last few weeks - again down to sales volumes.

But there are rumours of a new Prius in 2023 .......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota GB decided to drop the Prius Plug-in within the last few weeks - again down to sales volumes.

But there are rumours of a new Prius in 2023 .......

Hi Frosty,

Thanks for this info. I’m interested so please keep us posted if you get any more info.

• Like 2

I'm just hoping these Battery breakthroughs actually make it to market - Been reading some articles where they claim 2-5x capacity increases; Most of them are just misleading sales bumf, but a few hold promise.

I want an EV purely for performance reasons (And I'm hoping some of the sites I regularly visit will get free chargers by then :naughty: ), but since I have the Mk4 I'm not in any rush as I think it will be very hard to beat it for overall costs and driveability. This car really is magic! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I'm just hoping these battery breakthroughs actually make it to market - Been reading some articles where they claim 2-5x capacity increases; Most of them are just misleading sales bumf, but a few hold promise.

I want an EV purely for performance reasons (And I'm hoping some of the sites I regularly visit will get free chargers by then :naughty: ), but since I have the Mk4 I'm not in any rush as I think it will be very hard to beat it for overall costs and driveability. This car really is magic! :biggrin: 

I’m certainly not in any rush to get an ev but the way I feel about it is that unlike you, it’s not the incredible performance but the overall range & acccess to charging points so that I can charge the car without queuing or having to wait around too long to do so. Also I’d like to see a greater range on a single charge.

Lithium batteries are the order of the day but given the cost of lithium, if our chemists successfully produce a cheap sodium Battery, which there’s much research going on about at the moment, the cost of evs should drop & then they will be a viable replacement for petrol/diesel vehicles.

• Like 1

Yeah deffo - The range needs to come up and the car sizes need to come down. I for one don't want a short-range land boat! It amuses me that EV people consider 200-miles long range. To me that's short-range. The 600+ miles my Mk1 D4D could do? Now that's long range!!

For those of us that aren't rich enough to afford 2 cars, the one car has to do everything, not just short-range town trips, but long-distance tours to visit relatives and friends and events too.

The queuing to charge seems to be mainly dependent on time of year and location - At popular spots during holiday season, there's just no chance. A mate of mine was trapped at a motorway services for 3 hours waiting for a free stall a few years back during the summer hols, and that was with the Tesla Superchargers! OTOH, out-of-the-way towns on off-peak season, should be pretty empty (Assuming the charger works... I really don't understand why so many of them seem to be faulty! It shouldn't be that complicated!)

At the moment, I feel it's only really practical for people who can charge at home on a driveway/garage or you're just wasting hours of your life at public chargers. And if you live in a flat or have to park on the street, home charging just isn't an option.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links