Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pruis Discontinued

Devon Aygo

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah deffo - The range needs to come up and the car sizes need to come down. I for one don't want a short-range land boat! It amuses me that EV people consider 200-miles long range. To me that's short-range. The 600+ miles my Mk1 D4D could do? Now that's long range!!

For those of us that aren't rich enough to afford 2 cars, the one car has to do everything, not just short-range town trips, but long-distance tours to visit relatives and friends and events too.

The queuing to charge seems to be mainly dependent on time of year and location - At popular spots during holiday season, there's just no chance. A mate of mine was trapped at a motorway services for 3 hours waiting for a free stall a few years back during the summer hols, and that was with the Tesla Superchargers! OTOH, out-of-the-way towns on off-peak season, should be pretty empty (Assuming the charger works... I really don't understand why so many of them seem to be faulty! It shouldn't be that complicated!)

At the moment, I feel it's only really practical for people who can charge at home on a driveway/garage or you're just wasting hours of your life at public chargers. And if you live in a flat or have to park on the street, home charging just isn't an option.

You’re spot on there. I reckon for at least the next ten years, if there’s not a big change to government thinking regarding charging points & research doesn’t produce much, much cheaper more affordable, batteries with a much extended range, the rechargeable hybrid has got to be the answer. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:08 AM, Mikw said:

What are the Hyundai head restraints like these days? Everytime i've been in one, or a Kia, i get a searing neck pain after only a short time due to the head restraints

I had Ceed, and it was very good. Very much like Golf but had poor noise isolation. 

• Like 1

Dropping the Prius PHEV is a bizarre decision, global car manufacturers are all racing to electrify their product ranges with new EV models and plug-in hybrids, Toyota UK's offering is now a single EV, bZ4X and the RAV4 PHEV, and that's it ! It's like Toyota UK have given up.

Meanwhile you look at Kia and they have 3 EVs (Soul, eNiro, EV6) and 3 PHEVs (XCeed, Niro, Sorento), look at the VW group and they've now got more PHEVs and EVs than Toyota.

Even Ford is matching Toyota UK for electrified models, with the Mach-e EV and the Kuga PHEV.

46 minutes ago, AJones said:

Dropping the Prius PHEV is a bizarre decision, global car manufacturers are all racing to electrify their product ranges with new EV models and plug-in hybrids, Toyota UK's offering is now a single EV, bZ4X and the RAV4 PHEV, and that's it ! It's like Toyota UK have given up.

Meanwhile you look at Kia and they have 3 EVs (Soul, eNiro, EV6) and 3 PHEVs (XCeed, Niro, Sorento), look at the VW group and they've now got more PHEVs and EVs than Toyota.

Even Ford is matching Toyota UK for electrified models, with the Mach-e EV and the Kuga PHEV.

Hi Andy, I reckon you’re correct. I’m at a loss to understand the thinking behind Toyota. The only ev they have is in their luxury side of the business where they are producing a Lexus ev. Even then it’s Battery range is less than some much cheaper evs. Toyota seems to be putting all its efforts into hydrogen fuel cell technology but as far as I’m aware, no other motor manufacturer is doing so. I’d have thought Toyota would have concentrated it’s efforts to produce an electrified version of the Prius & because of the work done on the body shape to lower the drag, it could well take the lead with Battery range compared to many of the less aerodynamic ev models on the market at the moment. I don’t know if Toyota have got something waiting in the wings but if they’re going to produce a decent ev, they need to get a move on.

2 hours ago, AJones said:

The January 2022 sales figures make interesting reading:

Corolla hybrid - 1,733

Rav4 hybrid - 980

Rav4 PHEV - 182

Prius - 37

Prius PHEV - 15

Bear in mind that isn't just the UK where Prius sales have fallen off a cliff - some other European markets have also ceased imports.

• Like 1

Its very rare for me to see a modern Prius without a taxi plate attached to it. 

A work colleague had a Prius PHEV but traded it in last year to get an ID3.

My manager has a Prius + but that's a company vehicle & would be due for replacement this year but fleet can't get replacement vehicles due to supply issues so there running leases on. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Its very rare for me to see a modern Prius without a taxi plate attached to it. 

A work colleague had a Prius PHEV but traded it in last year to get an ID3.

My manager has a Prius + but that's a company vehicle & would be due for replacement this year but fleet can't get replacement vehicles due to supply issues so there running leases on. 

Hi Lee, I went to have a look at the VW ID3 yesterday. It’s about the same size as the Prius, slightly shorter, but a really comfortable car to sit in with a really nice all round view. Added to this, VW offer a larger Battery version that does about 340 miles on a full charge. I honestly never thought I’d be looking at a German vehicle after the excellent Japanese cars I’ve had especially my Toyotas. However, the ID3 is certainly the one that fits the bill at present, especially as I’d rather have a normal hatchback car as opposed to the so called cross over versions. I was told if I wanted an ID3, I’d have to join an 18 month waiting list, though I think I shall be holding onto my Prius for now.

Best bev replacement for Prius currently is a Hyundai ioniq electric, not the suv one. This car is the most efficient ev too, drives exactly as Toyota Prius amd looks like Prius plus has the lowest aerodynamics of all cars together with Tesla model 3. It is twice more efficient than any Vw ev, although id3 is a really nice car the ioniq can do the same range with 38kw/h Battery opposite the Vw id3 with 45 or 58kw/h batteries. Both models circa £30k for a new ev should be considered. I may push girlfriend to buy id3 next so I can experience it 😉🔌👌

• Like 1

My gripe with the ID3 is almost all the controls are capacitive-touch controls, even the 'buttons' are not real buttons, just touch pads.

I already don't get on with the touch-screen in my Mk4 - I think if all the buttons were like that I'd go insane!!! (Thank smeg all the important functions, esp. the HVAC controls, are real honest tactile buttons and knobs!)

It's one of the reasons I could never drive a Tesla - For some reason my fingers just don't work well with capacitive touch screens and I really hate it when I tap a control and I don't know if it's registered or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Best bev replacement for Prius currently is a Hyundai ioniq electric, not the suv one. This car is the most efficient ev too, drives exactly as Toyota Prius amd looks like Prius plus has the lowest aerodynamics of all cars together with Tesla model 3. It is twice more efficient than any Vw ev, although id3 is a really nice car the ioniq can do the same range with 38kw/h battery opposite the Vw id3 with 45 or 58kw/h batteries. Both models circa £30k for a new ev should be considered. I may push girlfriend to buy id3 next so I can experience it 😉🔌👌

Hi Tony, I’ve only just started to look at evs & as I said I’m holding on to my Prius for now. However, I might be wrong, but I can’t remember reading that the Hyundai Ioniq had a range of 340 miles as is advertised for the ID3. Looking at the latest Ioniq I have my doubts about the aerodynamics since it looks very ‘boxy’ & moving away from that idea. I might be wrong but if I’m going to move over to ev I want to be totally sure I’ve made the right decision for me.

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Best bev replacement for Prius currently is a Hyundai ioniq electric, not the suv one. This car is the most efficient ev too, drives exactly as Toyota Prius amd looks like Prius plus has the lowest aerodynamics of all cars together with Tesla model 3. It is twice more efficient than any Vw ev, although id3 is a really nice car the ioniq can do the same range with 38kw/h battery opposite the Vw id3 with 45 or 58kw/h batteries. Both models circa £30k for a new ev should be considered. I may push girlfriend to buy id3 next so I can experience it 😉🔌👌

If You can make it with a used Ioniq electric 28kW you´ll get a very efficient and price worthy car

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The January 2022 sales figures make interesting reading:

Corolla hybrid - 1,733

Rav4 hybrid - 980

Rav4 PHEV - 182

Prius - 37

Prius PHEV - 15

Bear in mind that isn't just the UK where Prius sales have fallen off a cliff - some other European markets have also ceased imports.

In Sweden the Prius (and PHV) was discontinued as early as 2020

31 minutes ago, HSDish said:

If You can make it with a used Ioniq electric 28kW you´ll get a very efficient and price worthy car

Hi Frosty, I think you know that energy can neither be created or destroyed. That’s a law of physics so unless the ioniq is incredibly light, it’s range simply cannot compare with the ID3.

10 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Frosty, I think you know that energy can neither be created or destroyed. That’s a law of physics so unless the ioniq is incredibly light, it’s range simply cannot compare with the ID3.

Not me I'm afraid - see quote below -

47 minutes ago, HSDish said:

47 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Tony, I’ve only just started to look at evs & as I said I’m holding on to my Prius for now. However, I might be wrong, but I can’t remember reading that the Hyundai Ioniq had a range of 340 miles as is advertised for the ID3. Looking at the latest Ioniq I have my doubts about the aerodynamics since it looks very ‘boxy’ & moving away from that idea. I might be wrong but if I’m going to move over to ev I want to be totally sure I’ve made the right decision for me.

Hi Trevor, 

there are two ioniq currently one is called ioniq electric which also been offered as hybrid and plug in hybrid and looks very similar to Prius . The  second model is called ioniq 5 which is a large car “suv style “ similar to id4, Skoda or Audi, as big as rav4. Here the difference, the white one is the standard ioniq and the silver one is ioniq 5. , the later had a big Battery and longer range, also is a car of the year in uk 2022. 👌🔌

9841745F-1BC6-4728-AF0F-3FE73122282A.jpeg

79D4968F-0A0E-404F-8784-A950F44C95DB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi Trevor, 

there are two ioniq currently one is called ioniq electric which also been offered as hybrid and plug in hybrid and looks very similar to Prius . The  second model is called ioniq 5 which is a large car “suv style “ similar to id4, Skoda or Audi, as big as rav4. Here the difference, the white one is the standard ioniq and the silver one is ioniq 5. , the later had a big battery and longer range, also is a car of the year in uk 2022. 👌🔌

9841745F-1BC6-4728-AF0F-3FE73122282A.jpeg

79D4968F-0A0E-404F-8784-A950F44C95DB.jpeg

Thanks Tony for that info. The Ioniq 5 wouldn’t appeal to me because of its shape. Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned?

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not me I'm afraid - see quote below -

Thanks for the correction. Many apologies Frosty. 

1 hour ago, BhxTrev said:

Thanks Tony for that info. The Ioniq 5 wouldn’t appeal to me because of its shape. Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned?

A Prius shape isn’t old fashioned Trevor.

16 hours ago, Catlover said:

A Prius shape isn’t old fashioned Trevor.

Hi Joe, I never actually said it was old fashioned so I apologise if that’s the impression I gave. I’m certainly not keen on the ‘cross over’ idea of a car design which seems to be so popular these days & the Ioniq 5, though I’ve not seen it for real, looks a strange shape to me. I could be wrong about that.

As far as I’m concerned I still rate the car we drive to be futuristic both in design & shape. I simply cannot understand why with all its attributes, Toyota simply haven’t used the Prius as the basis for an ev, especially when all that research went into the aerodynamic shape as well as the entirely new platform it was built on.

However, as has been pointed out, sales of the Prius plummeted, hence Toyota’s decision. I think their original sales pitch that seemed to be aimed at taxi drivers, might have put people off buying the car. In my opinion, taxi drivers rarely buy brand new cars. They tend to choose a second hand car with not too many miles on the clock to save money. First & foremost in their mind is reliability & fuel costs hence the Prius albeit second hand, have been a popular choice.

There are still a few reservations I have about buying an ev yet & the market is fast moving with newer cars having improved ranges. I think it’s worth waiting a few more years before I start to consider changing, after all I’m in no hurry go get rid of my Prius that’s driving like a dream at the moment.

I think that the figures speak for themselves, notwithstanding that the Prius is an extremely efficient shape, it would seem that the majority of the buying public simply prefer the slightly more 'normal' shape of the Corolla.

• Like 2

There is some unconfirmed information and rumours that a new 2023 Prius gen 5 is coming, it might be a real deal in terms of efficiency and aerodynamics. 

2 hours ago, davidif said:

I think that the figures speak for themselves, notwithstanding that the Prius is an extremely efficient shape, it would seem that the majority of the buying public simply prefer the slightly more 'normal' shape of the Corolla.

or maybe be many lamented over the change of name from Corolla to Auris, and when it was announced Corolla name was coming back it was popular move.

Personally, I love the looks of the Prius and not keen at all on the modern Corolla hatch with its limited space inside, after all Toyota said themselves it was aimed at the younger couple. I do like the style of the TS.

Additionally I would rather be moving around doing 70+or 80+ mpg regularly than 60 maybe 70 mpg.

2 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Joe, I never actually said it was old fashioned so I apologise if that’s the impression I gave. I’m certainly not keen on the ‘cross over’ idea of a car design which seems to be so popular these days & the Ioniq 5, though I’ve not seen it for real, looks a strange shape to me. I could be wrong about that.

I agree, Trevor, say it was old fashioned. Perhaps I should have explained....... You said the Ioniq5 doesnt appeal to you and then perhaps you are maybe a bit old fashioned. That implys you think the Ioniq5 is too modern and you prefer things a bit old fashioned. Thats why I said the Prius is not old fashioned, it is as modern as the Ioniq5. If that makes sense. Dont worry.

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. I think after seeing the VW ID3, if I was in the market for an ev, that’s the one I’d personally choose, though there’s plenty of time for Japanese motor manufacturers to produce a really decent ev model, which I’d go for especially with my experience of the trouble free motoring I’ve had owning Toyotas for well over a decade now. 

24 minutes ago, Catlover said:

or maybe be many lamented over the change of name from Corolla to Auris, and when it was announced Corolla name was coming back it was popular move.

Personally, I love the looks of the Prius and not keen at all on the modern Corolla hatch with its limited space inside, after all Toyota said themselves it was aimed at the younger couple. I do like the style of the TS.

Additionally I would rather be moving around doing 70+or 80+ mpg regularly than 60 maybe 70 mpg.

Hi Joe, I remember back in the 1960s when I was studying at Uni. & I used to work part time at a garage in Birmingham, mainly serving petrol, fitting tyres, batteries etc, & a Toyota Corolla used to come in to fill up. It was primrose yellow in colour & as you might know that really was a bright colour in those days.

I also remember only too well, how where after 6 months from it being brand new, round by by where I used to fill the car, there was clear evidence of rusting due to body rot. It put me off ever having a Toyota for years, though in all fairness many very expensive motors like Jags also suffered the same fate. My how things have changed & I’d be gobsmacked if I found body rot on my Prius especially with its 12 year guarantee.

• Like 1