Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pruis Discontinued

Devon Aygo

3 hours ago, davidif said:

I think that the figures speak for themselves, notwithstanding that the Prius is an extremely efficient shape, it would seem that the majority of the buying public simply prefer the slightly more 'normal' shape of the Corolla.

Hi Dave, don’t know if it’s just me but I hardly think the Corolla is a normal shaped car any more than the Gen4 Prius is. I would agree that the previous Prius models were rather different in shape but the Gen4 looks to me like a typical hatchback family sized car.

If you look at many other car manufacturers models there are plenty that don’t look like normal shaped cars but they still sell. As I related to Joe, in my opinion & it’s only my opinion, Toyota we’re hoping to sell the Gen4 Prius to the taxi driver market.

However, this approach from Toyota put buyers off because of this ‘taxi’ label the Prius had all due to Toyota’s marketing. As it is & as I explained to Joe, taxi drivers don’t tend to buy new cars, they prefer to buy second hand low mileage, reliable, fuel economical cars because they see that from a financial perspective.

That’s why, when the previous Prius models were well received by the British market & sold, there were plenty available second hand, hence the taxi drivers snapped them up. That scenario isn’t going to be repeated & as I said it’s only my opinion, but Toyota are to blame for the way they decided to market the Prius, an incredible car that seems to have come with a taxi cab label just like a black cab, & I blame that for its lack of sales & its demise!

35 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. I think after seeing the VW ID3, if I was in the market for an ev, that’s the one I’d personally choose, though there’s plenty of time for Japanese motor manufacturers to produce a really decent ev model, which I’d go for especially with my experience of the trouble free motoring I’ve had owning Toyotas for well over a decade now. 

Did you look at Kia EV6- it seems to be very good, probably better than Ioniq 5.  I don't like the VW's slider based infotainment system, they are also not backlit- so in the dark you can't operate them well. I think there is a general consensus that in real world Hyundai/Kia EVs's range is close to the claimed figure.

3 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

That’s why, when the previous Prius models were well received by the British market & sold, there were plenty available second hand, hence the taxi drivers snapped them up. That scenario isn’t going to be repeated & as I said it’s only my opinion, but Toyota are to blame for the way they decided to market the Prius, an incredible car that seems to have come with a taxi cab label just like a black cab, & I blame that for its lack of sales & its demise!

There was the same issue with the Avensis, they became associated with being taxis. 

I suspect the same thing will happen with the Corolla estate, almost every one I've seen has been a taxi !

10 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Did you look at Kia EV6- it seems to be very good, probably better than Ioniq 5.  I don't like the VW's slider based infotainment system, they are also not backlit- so in the dark you can't operate them well. I think there is a general consensus that in real world Hyundai/Kia EVs's range is close to the claimed figure.

Hi Sol, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts I’m certainly going to sit tight for the time being regarding buying an ev.

A short time ago I did nip into my local Kia garage & the ev we climbed into put us off. We’re not big people but my wife & I felt as though even with the seat adjusted as high as possible we still felt our view was severely restricted.

I have to admit we haven’t looked at the EV6 but it bears that ‘cross over’ yuppy description & really I’m after a ‘normal’ hatch back family car. Thank you for your suggestion & I will take a look at the EV6 though as I said previously I’m in no rush at the mo.

14 minutes ago, AJones said:

There was the same issue with the Avensis, they became associated with being taxis. 

I suspect the same thing will happen with the Corolla estate, almost every one I've seen has been a taxi !

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. It concerns me that Toyota seemed to have marketed the Prius as such. I will certainly not be buying a Corolla Estate!!!

I did wonder about the name change; I do know a lot of long-timers were quite disappointed with the perceived build quality of the Auris when it came out, compared to the outgoing Corolla - The general interior quality and the door feel especially (The Corolla doors felt very solid and had a very reassuring THUNK when they shut, whereas the Mk1 Auris' felt a lot lighter and tinnier, kinda like the Mk4 Yaris doors vs the Mk2's) but it's been so long I wouldn't think that would be a factor any more!

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

There is some unconfirmed information and rumours that a new 2023 Prius gen 5 is coming, it might be a real deal in terms of efficiency and aerodynamics. 

It'll have quite a challenge to take back the Most Efficient crown from the Mk4 Yaris! :naughty:  :laugh: 

2 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Sol, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts I’m certainly going to sit tight for the time being regarding buying an ev.

A short time ago I did nip into my local Kia garage & the ev we climbed into put us off. We’re not big people but my wife & I felt as though even with the seat adjusted as high as possible we still felt our view was severely restricted.

I have to admit we haven’t looked at the EV6 but it bears that ‘cross over’ yuppy description & really I’m after a ‘normal’ hatch back family car. Thank you for your suggestion & I will take a look at the EV6 though as I said previously I’m in no rush at the mo.

A Chinese maker called Ora is going to soon launch hatchback EVs which is expected to be low priced with decent range. Keep any eye on them.

31 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It'll have quite a challenge to take back the Most Efficient crown from the Mk4 Yaris! :naughty:  :laugh: 

I reckon your Yaris4 will take some doing to get 92mpg over 100 mile journey ( driving it home after buying it) or the 96mpg over a 50 mile journey. And over its life it is averaging over 72mpg. That’s a Prius for you.

• Like 3

I was hitting the low 80's in the summer and I wasn't really trying that hard so I reckon they'd be close! So far I'm on 69mpg manually calculated/74 car indicated average mpg since i've owned it so not too shabby :naughty:  Esp. considering my tendency to do full-bore launches when I'm in front at the lights! :laugh: 

I reckon it could at least match the 96 mpg single journey average... although maybe not with me driving it :laugh:

I think the Prius would have the edge on a motorway run (Can't beat that slippery aero!), but the Yaris would have the edge in an urban run, where the weight difference will come into play.

Would definitely be close in a mixed-environment run!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I reckon your Yaris4 will take some doing to get 92mpg over 100 mile journey ( driving it home after buying it) or the 96mpg over a 50 mile journey. And over its life it is averaging over 72mpg. That’s a Prius for you.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:23 PM, BhxTrev said:

I don't think Yaris and tbh, any other vehicle can beat Prius for fuel efficiency. Maybe a new generation of Prius can do that.

34 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

A Chinese maker called Ora is going to soon launch hatchback EVs which is expected to be low priced with decent range. Keep any eye on them.

Ehhh.... the ones I have seen are unbelievably ugly (Like, GeeWizz levels) and frankly I have very little confidence in the long-term reliability of a chinese designed and built car...

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ehhh.... the ones I have seen are unbelievably ugly (Like, GeeWizz levels) and frankly I have very little confidence in the long-term reliability of a chinese designed and built car...

I understand your point, however I believe every economy evolves over time. Several decades ago current Japanese car makers were dismissed. Off late Hyundai and Kia. 20 years ago nobody believed Samsung would be making flagship phones. Few Chinese EV companies are on NASDAQ as well. More players and competition is good for consumers. 

• Like 1

Current Prius and Yaris are very close in terms of fuel efficiency and best of all Toyotas no doubt about it 👌👍. Corolla 1.8 with 16” wheels can come very close too. I am rocking at 55mpg with my Auris, not bad for 11 years old hybrid and motorway runs.  With temperatures going up the consumption is going down and soon I will see 60+ to the gallon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I did wonder about the name change; I do know a lot of long-timers were quite disappointed with the perceived build quality of the Auris when it came out, compared to the outgoing Corolla - The general interior quality and the door feel especially (The Corolla doors felt very solid and had a very reassuring THUNK when they shut, whereas the Mk1 Auris' felt a lot lighter and tinnier, kinda like the Mk4 Yaris doors vs the Mk2's) but it's been so long I wouldn't think that would be a factor any more!

Auris gen 1 hybrids specifically and top spec T spirit are as solid as German cars and also build quality is top notch. My car is one of these and tbh it is in many ways better  than next gen Auris and Corolla, like materials used in interior, sound proofing etc. , even the leather on the seat bolsters is real. 

You're doing really well mpg-wise; My colleague doesn't get anywhere near your mpg normally, but he drives like I do and lives at the bottom of a hill so his first journey of the day is dragging a poor cold engine up a long steepish hill!

(He was amazed when he first took it on a holiday trip and got 60mpg - He didn't believe me when I told him it was capable of doing that :laugh: )

As for the korean cars, yeah they have come a looong way compared to what they were - Gotta respect that. I think they still have the most efficient EV drive trains, and considering they were up against Tesla for that, who had a massive head start, that's pretty impressive! I honestly consider them Toyota's biggest up-coming rivals at the moment, esp. since the germans have been dropping the ball so hard on the reliability stakes lately.

It's a good thing Toyota have upped their game so much lately as the koreans were getting close to eating their lunch, as it were!

But the koreans are totally different to the chinese - I personally would still try to avoid buying a Chinese vehicle; I try not to support countries with such draconian policies - I still haven't forgotten about what they're doing to Hong Kong, even tho' the press has gotten bored of reporting on it (Probably because most of them have been arrested...!). At least the Koreans are a more reasonable people... (Well, the south koreans anyway!)

My fear is they do what they always do - Come in and undercut everyone with low quality garbage that then puts the higher-quality domestic manufacturers out of business, then suddenly we're dependent on them for another sector of manufacturing. They already make so much stuff the world depends on - If they did what Russia is doing, none of the sanctioning strategies could be used against them. If this has taught us anything it's that we need to diversify to avoid getting held hostage!

• Like 2

I don’t know whether the wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid is mk1 or mk2, whatever, it is well built and solid IMO. The bonnet weighs a ton, don’t know why, it’s probably about same size as my Prius but loads heavier. Doors shut with a solid sound.

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I don’t know whether the wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid is mk1 or mk2, whatever, it is well built and solid IMO. The bonnet weighs a ton, don’t know why, it’s probably about same size as my Prius but loads heavier. Doors shut with a solid sound.

It’s MK1 facelift same as mine, they are first hybrids build in UK including the engines. 👌

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I don’t know whether the wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid is mk1 or mk2

Mark 1 facelift.

• Thanks 1

The only reason why  I will not buy a Prius is that the car park at the hospital where I work is routinely plundered for catalytic converters. Any Toyota hybrid is a target even if they are fitted with a catlok. When I was shopping for my next car, I went to ask the car park managers about the incidence of cat stealing and it appears to be approximately twice a month. The police have even done a stake out with a "bate" car to no avail. There are now very few Toyota hybrids belonging to staff members.....generally, only the public are falling victim. The Hyundi hybrids do not seem to be so prone to the thieves attention.

I have to say that our gen2 was easily the best car we've had. It performed well and we would have loved to have a gen4.

I now understand why the barriers on the hospital car park exit are broken so regularly. The thieves routinely drive their stolen vans with false number plates straight through them.

What can be done? Change the design, just as they did with disappearing in car entertainment. The cat is a low maintenance device so it can be " buried" in a suitably heat shielded and inaccessible location 

2 hours ago, wass said:

The only reason why  I will not buy a Prius is that the car park at the hospital where I work is routinely plundered for catalytic converters. Any Toyota hybrid is a target even if they are fitted with a catlok. When I was shopping for my next car, I went to ask the car park managers about the incidence of cat stealing and it appears to be approximately twice a month. The police have even done a stake out with a "bate" car to no avail. There are now very few Toyota hybrids belonging to staff members.....generally, only the public are falling victim. The Hyundi hybrids do not seem to be so prone to the thieves attention.

I have to say that our gen2 was easily the best car we've had. It performed well and we would have loved to have a gen4.

I now understand why the barriers on the hospital car park exit are broken so regularly. The thieves routinely drive their stolen vans with false number plates straight through them.

What can be done? Change the design, just as they did with disappearing in car entertainment. The cat is a low maintenance device so it can be " buried" in a suitably heat shielded and inaccessible location 

Is not as easy to change a location of cat, recently in US  thieves target Toyota Prius and stealing hybrid batteries, and sell to recycling depots. Trade with metals should be better monitor and there won’t be that much of a trouble. I won’t be surprised if thieves in uk start taking hybrid batteries too. 

18 hours ago, Catlover said:

or maybe be many lamented over the change of name from Corolla to Auris, and when it was announced Corolla name was coming back it was popular move.

Personally, I love the looks of the Prius and not keen at all on the modern Corolla hatch with its limited space inside, after all Toyota said themselves it was aimed at the younger couple. I do like the style of the TS.

Additionally I would rather be moving around doing 70+or 80+ mpg regularly than 60 maybe 70 mpg.

Looks are of course entirely subjective. It would be a very uninteresting world if we all liked the same things.

17 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Dave, don’t know if it’s just me but I hardly think the Corolla is a normal shaped car any more than the Gen4 Prius is. I would agree that the previous Prius models were rather different in shape but the Gen4 looks to me like a typical hatchback family sized car.

If you look at many other car manufacturers models there are plenty that don’t look like normal shaped cars but they still sell. As I related to Joe, in my opinion & it’s only my opinion, Toyota we’re hoping to sell the Gen4 Prius to the taxi driver market.

However, this approach from Toyota put buyers off because of this ‘taxi’ label the Prius had all due to Toyota’s marketing. As it is & as I explained to Joe, taxi drivers don’t tend to buy new cars, they prefer to buy second hand low mileage, reliable, fuel economical cars because they see that from a financial perspective.

Hi Trevor, looks are of course subjective and to me the Corolla conforms more to what I consider to be a normal shape hatchback.

I do think you have a point with the Taxi theory though.

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I won’t be surprised if thieves in uk start taking hybrid batteries too. 

With a bit of luck they will start to electrocute themselves :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Joe, talking about bonnet weights, just out of curiosity I went into a local MG garage on Anglesey, near to where we live. I opened the bonnet on one of their evs & couldn’t believe how incredibly heavy it was. The bonnet by the way was also huge which after driving the Prius with its much smaller, shorter, bonnet, (& infinitely lighter - aluminium!), put me right off ever considering an MG ev!

Just got an email from MrT announcing their new 30 model BEV range. Doesn't appear to be a Prius but the bz sedan looks close.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links