Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

need help. t27 avensis brake caliper slide pins screw torque

andrewysk

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

we dont buy bran new cars right  from the factory

My car is probably one of the oldest cars on the forum at 14 years old.

And I repeat, it is not possible for the pads to get siezed stuck to a caliper. 

10 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

what about this grease i have this also plus apart from the rubber on the slider pins thats is all the copper grease touches plus if they ever bbreak i will be for sure changing them im good that way about servicing things i use copper grease and i have this lithium grease also that i could put in the slider pins 

Again, I'm not an expert, but I think that would be just as bad. Lithium grease is just bog standard yellow grease, I think. You want silicone grease or red rubber grease. Silicone grease is not dear if you shop around.

47 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Again, I'm not an expert, but I think that would be just as bad. Lithium grease is just bog standard yellow grease, I think. You want silicone grease or red rubber grease. Silicone grease is not dear if you shop around.

i have a tub of that red rubber grease i didnt think would stick the high heat like copper grease 

s-l1600.jpg

23 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

i have a tub of that red rubber grease i didnt think would stick the high heat like copper grease 

Well it's exactly the right stuff for doing the piston seals if you were rebuilding the calipers, so stands to reason it should cope with a little bit of heat around the guide pins, I think. Copper grease is made with things like exhaust manifold studs in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, Stivino said:

It’s a bolt, not a screw.

When you get a new bolt, don’t worry about the torque, just tighten it up FT with a spanner.

It’s an 8mm bolt (13mm head) so depending on the class of bolt it will either be 30Nm or 40Nm

Class 8.8 is 30Nm

Class 10.9 is 40Nm

The class number is usually stamped on the head of the bolt.

ya, the screws finally arrived 10.9 stamped on bolt head. the thread is ok, but length wise, it is 1.5mm to 2mm shorter.  crap, but usable. 40Nm torque

On 1/23/2022 at 6:18 PM, Stivino said:

If there is nothing stamped on the head it is a bog standard 8.8 bolt.

This is the part number;  90105-10404 Toyota list it as a bolt as opposed to a screw.

What is avensis d4d t27 equivalent in usa ?  i just can't use usa website because they simply don't have avensis.. maybe they have equivalent.. just name different.

Is there a website that provide info of each bolt size what max torque is ? not accurate, but at least i know what is the limit, so i won't have to go thru snapping of bolt in the future again.

How do you manage to find the part ?  i couldn't even locate avensis on the website..

My original caliper slider pin bolt  head was nr. 13 ratchet socket, after purchased from car spare part website, , the hex head is nr. 12 socket (with 10.9 stamped) on the bolt head. 

you said it is 40Nm (for 10.9 stamp), but i have got phobia of it already.. hence i torque it same as before - 30Nm.. (i did that hand tight before torque it ), so  i know it is tight enough (i won't want to risk snap the head off again.. due to that broken bolt, my car grounded for 4.5 days)..

Last weekend, i rushed to local ATU (in dusseldorf), the lady don't even know what is that, told her is from brake part (i don't speak good german). Later i have to show her the google translated word.. then she told me ATU only sell the whole set of caliper, no screw.. 😖hence have to order from online.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:04 PM, Stivino said:

it is not possible for the pads to get siezed stuck to a caliper. 

It seems that there is nothing to make brake pad stuck to the caliper piston.. but all car repair guy on youtube uses some kind of grease (i don't think need copper grease-too expensive, but copper grease sure stick well and easy to visualize :=) ) to prevent high pitch brake frequency..  well, i do believe a bit of grease here and there won't hurt.. but if no grease available, then i won't put it as well.. lol maybe a slap of butter from fridge just to make myself feel better (warning: as long as it does not drip into brake disc when heated up , lol )... 😁

Thanks for all your info.  You guys are wonderful.

8 minutes ago, andrewysk said:

It seems that there is nothing to make brake pad stuck to the caliper piston.. but all car repair guy on youtube uses some kind of grease (i don't think need copper grease-too expensive, but copper grease sure stick well and easy to visualize :=) ) to prevent high pitch brake frequency..  well, i do believe a bit of grease here and there won't hurt.. but if no grease available, then i won't put it as well.. lol maybe a slap of butter from fridge just to make myself feel better (warning: as long as it does not drip into brake disc when heated up , lol )... 😁

Thanks for all your info.  You guys are wonderful.

A lot of designs have anti-rattle shims now, so no need for grease. However, in rust prone climates, a lot of mechanics still like to grease underneath shims that sit in the carrier bracket, to try and slow the rusting down. Rusting can cause the shims to lift and then the pads become tight in the carrier.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links