Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK BZ4X pre-order available

Malop

Despite signing up for notifications from Toyota and telling my dealer I’m interested in the BZ4 neither of them let me know pre-order was available. Found it by accident while googling. Full spec details on the page as well. 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/bz4x/online-reservation

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I would want the Motion spec but do not want to afford £47k. It's more car than I need.  I shall wait until they introduce cars in the lower classes. 

• Like 1

Interesting but I'd not want to be an early adopter just not enough information right now.

18 hours ago, Malop said:

Despite signing up for notifications from Toyota and telling my dealer I’m interested in the BZ4 neither of them let me know pre-order was available. Found it by accident while googling. Full spec details on the page as well. 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/bz4x/online-reservation

That’s pretty poor considering you expressed a keen interest ☹️ Thanks for flagging that ordering is now open, keep us posted on your progress👍

Same with me, dealer asked and signed up on line, no information so far.  All the information I’ve seem has been generated in this forum or by me searching on line.

It's a giant land-boat and the range is still rubbish; No interest from me...!

• Like 1

Cyker, I guess they have to start somewhere. I guess the size helps with the range issue.  It might also be a 'best fit' in the range, RAV4 market?

More likely due to a shared need. The Toyota BZ4X and Subaru Solterra use a jointly developed mid to large sized BEV platform, Subaru's all wheel drive tech and Toyota electrification tech.

• Like 1

So what do you think next? 

They have 7 to 8 years to electrify the whole range.  The present range is one of size/price.  To some extent it is not possible to do a one for one substitution and EV adds a range dimension. 

The smaller size, lower price cars can do distances on one refuelling as pure EV they would be more limited. 

Where will they go next? 

Where do they go next?

Battery development, smaller, lighter, more miles.

They have longer than 7-8 years in Europe.

Hybrids can continue to 2035, but beyond 2030 will probably need to be plug-in hybrids.

Solid state batteries for hybrids from around 2025 onwards (said by Toyota to be too expensive currently for EV's).

The US is looking to make half of the auto 'fleet' comprised of EV's, and fully electric by 2040, but will require billions of dollars of government investment.

Frosty, thank you, but I was think more which model class will get an EV alternative.  Conceivably it could be an EV version of a hybrid but I was thinking in to which range would the next BZ model fit. 

I take your point that they are more likely to be PHEV before 2035.  By then I expect I will have lost interest, I would be 92😁

C-HR alternative?  Current model is in it's 6th year, and a compact crossover/SUV. may fit with Subaru as well

I just hope we get a major electrical storage breakthrough because I'm not going anywhere near an EV unless it's equal to or smaller than my Mk4 (On the outside) and can do at least 300 miles. At 70mph. In winter. So I'm hoping that's where they go next! :laugh: 

• Like 3

Agree with many of the issues raised above for me it's got to be real world range at sensible speeds and loads.  Some of the real world testing I've seen reported on EV manufacturers are wowfully inaccurate.  Toyota's history suggests that they often get near the published economy figures so it will be interesting to see how this looks when the cars are available for testers to evaluate.  On top of this is the continued problem of charging either at home with restricted access or when you are on the move.  I see no comprehensive solution to this major issue being proposed, let alone implemented. 

Change is happening, 3 years ago no public charging points in our town , now there are 8 at three supermarkets. If you spotted a Tesla or a Nissan Leaf it was a rare sight, there is now a Kia and a VW BEV on the street where I live and other neighbours are looking at them. Irrespective of what some folk think change IS happening and BEV work for a lot of people. As for range I cannot recall the last time I did 200 miles in a day let alone 300 miles. The infrastructure will come , not fast enough for some , but let’s not forget petrol engined cars existed in the U.K. way before the first petrol filling station existed. You effectively stored fuel where you kept your car, a bit like charging at home (for those who can) 😉

Edited by AndyRC
  • Like 3

Lots of Tesla around but not many chargers around.  Admittedly not having EV my search is superficial.  First I noticed was a pair in a pub car park.  I am not sure they are in use as the plugs are in plastic; they may be public ones.  Our local Big M has applied to install 5 which, given their location on the A1, is smart. Laura Ashley installed 4, then went bust. 

We have three super market/super stores with car parks that always have spare slots but until every parking bay has a supply point I don't see they can be used while you are shopping. You might have to queue until one is available and then move off as soon as you are recharged. 

For those lucky enough to have a home charger their problem is charging on a journey. 

When will 'still early days' end? 

I too stumbled across the the reservations opening last Tuesday, I've reserved a Vision 2WD in Precious Metal.  I've ordered the 11kW onboard charger model so it'll be the second batch of cars - the first batch come with a slower onboard charger.

I'm on good terms with our local dealer so we've agreed that I can back out if the claimed KINTO offers are actually no good, the £99 reservation is fully refundable anyway.

It does seem that the dealers aren't really prepared for the model!

5 hours ago, AndyRC said:

As for range I cannot recall the last time I did 200 miles in a day let alone 300 miles.

In September and October 21 for us - approx 310 each day

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In September and October 21 for us - approx 310 each day

Fair play , but I was simply referring to my own driving profile and we’re now at the  “actual” range  where we would be happy to go BEV 

Part of the problem is EVs are getting less and less efficient - We peaked with the Hyundai Kona, which could actually get 5 miles/kWh average on a journey, but as manufacturers are still unwilling to put in significant time and money into R&D to get better range, they're doing it the quick and dirty way - i.e. make the giant land boat even bigger and stuff more batteries into it.

On top of that extra mass, all the electronic toys and distractions they stuff in them to justify the high costs all drag down that efficiency - Most new EVs will get 3-3.5 miles/kWh average if you're lucky, and a lot of them are even worse dropping to 2, at which point it's more expensive to run than a good diesel or hybrid if only public charging is used. (Home charging always wins, even with a 1 mile/kWh barge, which is why it's literally essential to have a garage or driveway if you're getting an EV to cut running costs!)

They need to get it up 5kWh+ average to really make them work without needing a metric buttload of batteries, or find a way of packing more energy in a smaller space! (I'm still hoping someone invents Mr Fusion... :laugh: )

• Like 2

Started a walk with our group this morning in a small car park with 4 EV chargers, one was not working, one allowed guest payment charging the other two you needed an account with a swipe card. I typically do regular runs of 150 miles and one day last week did one of 250 miles.  It’s not so much I’ll use 250 miles plus regularly but that the occasional run for me over 250 miles would become a stressful experience.

With the current production Battery technology the range change between summer and winter can be wide and often bear no resemblance to the specified ranges. 

• Like 3

Local dealer called to say they have a demo bZ4X incoming but not until around June, fortunately I’m in no hurry to change and will probably wait until steer by wire becomes available before making a decision.

It’s interesting the number of BEVs I now see parked on the road without any charging so owners must be charging elsewhere, most likely work. Many employers are now installing new or additional charging points. Tesla Model 3 appears to be the most prolific at the moment followed by iD3 , no science involved just what I’m remembering seeing locally. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 10:12 PM, Cyker said:

I just hope we get a major electrical storage breakthrough because I'm not going anywhere near an EV unless it's equal to or smaller than my Mk4 (On the outside) and can do at least 300 miles. At 70mph. In winter. So I'm hoping that's where they go next! :laugh: 

Think similarly here. I see greatest depreciation and obsolescence risk with EVs. With so much innovation around, what you buy for 50K may be worth nothing in 4-5 years. Bit like mobile phones.

Also, as I understand the sale of hybrid vehicle stops in 2035 not their usage. Existing users will continue to use, but as always, government might be taxing them more.

• Like 2

Very few Evs currently are interesting and efficient although there’s plenty of choice to pick from small or big. I have read recently comparison between Tesla model 3 and Hyundai saloon petrol how long they managed to last in idle (ready mode. ).The purpose of test was as a result of bad weather in US and many stranded cars on a major interstate highway. Tesla been more efficient however the Hyundai lasted 5 hrs more because of its larger tank of fuel in comparison to Tesla Battery. Tesla managed 47hrs 100% to 0%🔋 and the Hyundai 52hrs with full tank of petrol ️. My point here is that Toyota self charging hybrid will beat them both and here it is why: fill up petrol full set in ready mode and turn heating ON at 22C° the engine will run approximately 2min every 10 min of time at 0°C outside air temperature., which makes it at least 3 -4 times more efficient than only petrol powered car or full ev. Toyota boss may turn to be right to ask governments to stop pushing into Evs of yet. 👍

• Like 4