Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Burning Oil?

tarantula_123

Anyone had issues with 2zz burning oil?

Im having loss of oil but two or three years ago had all the engine, sump and timing gaskets replaced so cannot be a leak.

I wouldn't say mine is burning oil but it does use a bit between oil changes,maybe 500ml or so off the top of my head,

How much oil are you using?

Very likely due to block scoring and cylinder heads and seals wearing, typically caused by infrequent oil changes

3 hours ago, tarantula_123 said:

Anyone had issues with 2zz burning oil?

Im having loss of oil but two or three years ago had all the engine, sump and timing gaskets replaced so cannot be a leak.

Some engines Toyota engines burn a little oil. The Avensis with the BMW engine was prone to burning oil. Burning a little oil is not the sign of trouble, in fact some mechanics will tell you that an engine burning a little oil is a good thing. But it’s recognized that burning more than a pint of oil between changes is bordering on excessive. There are a few reasons for excessive use of oil. Eg high mileage, ie engine wear, turbo fault, leaking gaskets, to name but a few. If it’s excess of a pint of oil between changes then it might need attention. Just because you renewed all your gasket three years ago, is no guarantee, check them out first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Some engines Toyota engines burn a little Oil. The Avensis with the BMW engine was prone to burning Oil. Burning a little Oil is not the sign of trouble, in fact some mechanics will tell you that an engine burning a little oil is a good thing. But it’s recognized that burning more than a pint of oil between changes is bordering on excessive. There are a few reasons for excessive use of oil. Eg high mileage, ie engine wear, turbo fault, leaking gaskets, to name but a few. If it’s excess of a pint of oil between changes then it might need attention. Just because you renewed all your gasket three years ago, is no guarantee, check them out first.

I will have a good look. I can't see it being anything to do with infrequent oil changes as mentioned above. This is my seventh year of ownership and I have changed the oil without fail when needed every year. This year twice because of the mileage I have done.

I am on over 130k now, was hoping this would be a 200k car but not so sure now. 

The oil loss I am talking about is going from full on the dipstick marker, to low. I changed the oil and filter Thursday, so will see how long it takes before it starts to dip.

1 hour ago, tarantula_123 said:

I will have a good look. I can't see it being anything to do with infrequent oil changes as mentioned above. This is my seventh year of ownership and I have changed the oil without fail when needed every year. This year twice because of the mileage I have done.

I am on over 130k now, was hoping this would be a 200k car but not so sure now. 

The oil loss I am talking about is going from full on the dipstick marker, to low. I changed the oil and filter Thursday, so will see how long it takes before it starts to dip.

Yes it’s prudent to check frequently and not let the oil levels run low.

• Like 1

How much does it burn? Up to a litre per 10k miles it’s normal for age and mileage. If oil consumption is because of  stuck piston rings then very likely there is a blow by that has caused cylinders to loose honing lines and become glazed, this is then an issue and will increase oil consumption drastically. Just keep an eye on and top up as necessary and you can get to 200k miles . 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links