Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New to hybrids

Cowgirl

I’m collecting my first hybrid car this week and have heard a few horror stories about the batteries going flat. I’m going to be driving it approximately 25 miles a day which in total will take me 1 hour 45 minutes. I’m a key worker and cannot afford for my car to not start in the morning. What are your experiences of this happening?

Also if I go away on holiday for 2 weeks is the Battery likely to be flat when I get back.

All opinions appreciated 

Driving it daily as you describe, you should be fine.              
I have no experience of leaving one for two weeks.

what car are you getting and what time of year will you be holidaying.?

I’m getting a Yaris dynamic with a city pack added.

I holiday at different times of the year, both winter and summer

I bought my Corolla just before lock down.  I only did 3,000 that year.  As new, I left the car much longer than 2 weeks with no problem.  The problems came later as I was using it as a straight petrol car, start, drive, stop for short distances. It survived that but I was unaware of how the Battery was degrading.  After my first failure some months on I was still unaware of the procedures. 

I think you will probably be OK as your Battery management will keep it in good shape. 

If you park up in an airport car park they will will be used to cars not starting and should have a Battery pack.  Failing that you will have a free breakdown cover. 

If your car is parked up at home you can still call out the breakdown. 

Ask me in March 🙂

Hi and welcome 🙏 

If you drive your hybrid Toyota over an hour every day there is no reason to be worried about your 12v Battery, this is enough time for the car to recharge the Battery and to function as usual. Going in holidays is also not an issue if previously the car has been used as mentioned, but if you are still worrying your Battery may get flat there are solar powered battery chargers that connects to the obd 2 port or battery directly and they keep the car battery topped up when the car is not in use. 

• Like 2

Caroline

In 2019 my car was unused for 4 weeks when I was on holiday.

April/May last year it stood unused for about 5 weeks because I was in hospital and recovering, unable to drive.

Both times the car started perfectly normally and I never expected otherwise.

Day to day 1 1/4 hours driving will be more than sufficient.

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi and welcome 🙏 

If you drive your hybrid Toyota over an hour every day there is no reason to be worried about your 12v battery, this is enough time for the car to recharge the battery and to function as usual. Going in holidays is also not an issue if previously the car has been used as mentioned, but if you are still worrying your battery may get flat there are solar powered battery chargers that connects to the obd 2 port or battery directly and they keep the car battery topped up when the car is not in use. 

My Toyota dealer does not recommend solar charging with the OBD2 port. According to him, the OBD2 port is not intended for charging, but only for diagnostics. I did not find a charger certified for charging via the OBD2 port. If something happens to the vehicle - I will lose the warranty.

The seller recommends  with Battery connection - impractical with rear seat disassembly.
Or into the cigarette lighter socket - impossible - the socket switches off when the vehicle is switched off.

Switching the socket to a fuse that is still live is not recommended due to the loss of the vehicle warranty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Caroline, welcome to the TOC. You drive every day, if the car is in ready mode you will have no problems. I drive about 2 miles three times a week with an occasional 20 miles round trip every six weeks approximately and I never had any bother with my previous car or present on both hybrids. Keep the car in Ready mode.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi Caroline,..... Keep the car in Ready mode.

For up to an hour if you haven't used it for a couple of weeks. 

6 hours ago, Dala said:

My Toyota dealer does not recommend solar charging with the OBD2 port. According to him, the OBD2 port is not intended for charging, but only for diagnostics. I did not find a charger certified for charging via the OBD2 port. If something happens to the vehicle - I will lose the warranty.

We've had that discussion on here before! Your dealer is 100% wrong!! The main 12v pin on the OBD2 port has a direct pathway back to the 12v auxiliary Battery (and is easily capable of supporting the current required). He's talking rubbish!

6 hours ago, Dala said:

Switching the socket to a fuse that is still live is not recommended due to the loss of the vehicle warranty. 

This dealer of yours seems to be so very keen to not fulfil the warranty on your vehicle! Time to seek out another (better and more knowledgeable) dealer perhaps?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dala said:

The seller recommends  with battery connection - impractical with rear seat disassembly.
Or into the cigarette lighter socket - impossible - the socket switches off when the vehicle is switched off.

The OBD2 specification says the connector is rated for far more current than a solar charger could ever generate. A 10w solar panel could put out an amp or so, realistically less.

The car must be able to supply at least 4 Amps on the OBD2 Battery pin. Therefore, we can assert that the connector has to be able to safely handle that.

The power pin on OBD2 is present for powering scan tools etc. and must be connected as a permanent live to the Battery. There is no connection to the ECU via pin 16 (Battery power pin).

Interestingly, a cigarette lighter socket isn't 'certified' for charging your car either.

• Like 1

So do I take it that time is more important than distance travelled to keep the Battery in good condition (60 minutes or more).

Do I take it that multiple short journeys will deplete it more readily?

Sorry for all the questions 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

So do I take it that time is more important than distance travelled to keep the battery in good condition (60 minutes or more).

Do I take it that multiple short journeys will deplete it more readily?

Sorry for all the questions 

If you do short journeys less than 20-30min each time yes, this is bad for you Battery. If you drive 30 min and more each time this is good for your Battery and there is nothing to worry. If you do short journeys then keep the car in ready mode for 40-50 min once a week in winter time may be enough for recharging the Battery. Yes time is more important than distance., you don’t even need to drive it at all, just start it and let it be in ready mode, longer it stays better. 

• Like 1

Cowgirl, going back to your original post, I don't think you will have a problem. Regarding your holiday, if you are using an airport car park that implies a reasonable drive, and hence charge, before you park up.  In that case there should be no problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 4:34 PM, Cowgirl said:

I’m collecting my first hybrid car this week and have heard a few horror stories about the batteries going flat. I’m going to be driving it approximately 25 miles a day which in total will take me 1 hour 45 minutes. I’m a key worker and cannot afford for my car to not start in the morning. What are your experiences of this happening?

Also if I go away on holiday for 2 weeks is the battery likely to be flat when I get back.

All opinions appreciated 

Fro,my experience based on your useage patterns you'll have no problems there.

Can't speak for two week in an airport thought as i haven't been abroad since the pandemic started.

Long term car parking is expensive anyway probably cheaper to get a taxi there and back, also less hasstle. The taxi driver may also help taking out, and putting in luggage. 

Don't get hung up on forum horror stories, forums only ever list faults.

My wife has a Yaris 2021, it's been left for a week, two weeks and three weeks during school holidays without being run and it's always been fine.  

With your work commute you will be fine.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links