Coolant Loss

tarantula_123

Any suggestions for coolant loss?

Have changed over the seven years of ownership:

Heater Matrix

Radiator

Thermostat

Coolant Hoses 

Always seemed to keep going below the low level in the expansion tank, but never so with the actual radiator. I have left it a while and it is now low in the radiator. The car has never overheated, the needle has never gone over once. 

The radiator replacement wasn't that long ago and was with a genuine Nissens radiator and cap, along with Toyota anti freeze

Water pump seems like the most obvious item missing from your list.

Some engines suffered from external head gasket leaks, which are not a complete disaster as long as you maintain the level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

Water pump seems like the most obvious item missing from your list.

Some engines suffered from external head gasket leaks, which are not a complete disaster as long as you maintain the level.

Then of course there’s the internal head gasket leak which is much more serious, have you noticed when dipping for oil any sludge on the dipstick? And it wouldn’t do any harm to check the hoses again and the hose connections.

Hi guys,

Forgot to mention water pump was done when I had the timing gaskets replaced. I had the issue of coolant loss before I replaced the radiator. 

Still kept on going below the low on the expansion tank but never on the radiator itself. Now I've left it a while without topping up either to see, its showing low on the radiator itself.

Strange really as I had an authentic Samco silicone hose kit fitted for the coolant lines and the screws torqued properly by the mechanic who fitted them.

You have coolant loss and high oil consumption, these two together point towards possible head gasket issues, internal bleeding into cylinders and eventually burnt off with the fuel mixture. Perhaps next step is to buy some sort of video camera endoscopic for iPhones for example and take spark plugs out and investigate through the holes. 👍👌

What rate are you actually losing coolant?  Have you got any 'mayonnaise' on the underside of your oil filler cap (suggesting water in the oil)?  As mentioned above recheck all coolant hoses and look closely around and under the engine and see if you are dripping coolant from anywhere.  If you can't spot anything obvious try doing a pressure test on the cooling system.